Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

what did you 'put up' today? (any day, starting today)

MissNairne

All new, with added NAK!
Don't laugh~ my garden is pathetic.

But today I put up~

half gallon of blanched and frozen neeps.
one yellow onion braid (a baker's dozen medium sized)
one gallon chopped frozen onions (ouch my eyes my eyes!)
6 large potatoes and
2 lbs. tiny "gourmet" potatoes 1/2 red 1/2 yukon gold

3Gs4Me

Blessed Beyond Belief!
10 pints of salsa
5 pints tomato sauce

I currently have eggplant, green beans, swiss chard, and zucchinni in the dehydrator.

punkin

Amity's Focus Member
Don't laugh~ my garden is pathetic.

But today I put up~

half gallon of blanched and frozen neeps.
one yellow onion braid (a baker's dozen medium sized)
one gallon chopped frozen onions (ouch my eyes my eyes!)
6 large potatoes and
2 lbs. tiny "gourmet" potatoes 1/2 red 1/2 yukon gold
can you tell me what you did w/ the potatoes?

Katie

Amity's Focus Member
Today I'm making fresh herb ice cubes with all the ones above except chamomile. I started doing the ice cube thing a couple of years ago and LOVE it. It's great for soups and sauces all winter long.
ok, stealing this. do you blanch or anything or am I over-thinking the simplicity of this project?

Katie

Amity's Focus Member
I shake most of the dirt off, pop them in a paper bag and then store them in a dark, dry and relatively cool place.
right, I'm doing this now. My first harvest went in a basket and the taters on top (exposed to some indirect light) turned green and came to life....again.

MissNairne

All new, with added NAK!
right, I'm doing this now. My first harvest went in a basket and the taters on top (exposed to some indirect light) turned green and came to life....again.
The first time I tried to store potatoes, I did the same thing (open topped container)~ then last year, I discovered (by accident) that leaving the dirt on and enclosed in something breathable (ie: paper) was the magic trick. Those spuds lasted for ages! All winter anyway. :p

Storm

Amity Teen
very simple katie.
Finely chop the herbs. Fill the ice cube tray sections with chopped herbs, slowly add trickles of water, mash the herbs down into the water with your thumb (some try to just float on top until you put them in their place) and pop them in the freezer.
once they're frozen I pop them out and put them in labeled sandwich bags, then I put all the sandwich bags in one big freezer bag.
Then when you want to put some dill in some potato soup in january you throw a dill ice cube in the pot baby!

mamabear

~*~smile~*~
Finally harvested the whole shebang last week:

25 lb of potatoes
no idea, but a good-sized bag of cured onions
a big box of green tomatoes - some are turning red - not sure what I'll do with these
dried a ton of oregano - um then the puppy got into it, and it's now compost, oh well
dried thyme

Have a ton of cukes in the fridge waiting to be pickled - hope to do that in the next few days.

Also planning to pick blueberries to freeze, and buying a big box of local cukes to pickle once we find our favorite recipe. :)

Katie

Amity's Focus Member
very simple katie.
Finely chop the herbs. Fill the ice cube tray sections with chopped herbs, slowly add trickles of water, mash the herbs down into the water with your thumb (some try to just float on top until you put them in their place) and pop them in the freezer.
once they're frozen I pop them out and put them in labeled sandwich bags, then I put all the sandwich bags in one big freezer bag.
Then when you want to put some dill in some potato soup in january you throw a dill ice cube in the pot baby!
perfect. I can handle this. That you. :)

3Gs4Me

Blessed Beyond Belief!
Processing 1.5 bushels of peaches today.

19 qts of frozen peach puree for smoothies
6 half pints peach jam
4 qts. canned peaches

Still some left for fresh eating and freezer pie filling.

heythereheather

A reading family
So far this summer I've frozen about 10 cups of blueberries, and about 10 cups of sliced peaches. That's it! We ate most of the blueberries we picked and bought (about 40 lbs!) and we ate most of the 1/2 bushel of peaches I bought last saturday (for $10 at the farmer's market). I bought more this week, so I'll try to freeze more.

I'm trying to work up the inertia to can some stuff. I don't have a garden, but the farmer's market here is fabulous. My brother sent me a recipe for beef stew I want to try canning, along with maybe some jam and maybe green beans? and maybe tomatoes.

cathleenc

dirty. good dirt.
it is all becoming a blur.....

maybe 15 more 12-oz packages of green beans into the freezer
25-12 oz packages of sweet corn into the freezer
2-1lb packages of goat cheese into the freezer
3 ducks and 6 rabbits into the freezer
5 lbs of goats milk romano into the cheese refrigerator to age for at least a year
6 pints strawberry jam
5 pints strawberry-rhubarb jam
22 qts of crock pickles canned and pasturized (the same that I fermented)
3 pints ginger gherkins
5 qts pears in light syrup
1 qt pears in brandy
3 qts pear juice
3 more pints of crabapple juice (planning on making crabapple jelly with it)
5 pints cajeta (like dulce de leite but made with goat milk)
6 pints corn relish
50+? heads of garlic, dried, cleaned and stored
25+? lbs of onions, dried, trimmed and stored
5+? lbs of shallots, dried, trimmed and stored

Last edited:

Saltwater

Amity's Focus Member
aha! Cathleen! I was just pondering if I could buy one of the college dorm refrigerators to use as a "cheese cave". A 4.7cu ft was on sale really cheap, but I wasn't sure if it could be seat as warm as 45-50 degrees and I didn't want to have to buy another external thermostat. So, please, tell me more about your cheese going in the fridge.

Last edited:

cathleenc

dirty. good dirt.
Marina, I bought a wine refrigerator, used off of craigslist. I can get the temp as high as 55 degrees. It's a midsized refrigerator, not one of the dinky dorm sizes but way way way smaller than a normal frig. Not sure of the cubic feet at all. Only had it in action for maybe 6 weeks now so no reports about success but it 'should' be much better for aging cheese. Read about using them from one of the yahoo cheesemaking groups.

artemis33

Amity's Focus Member
cathleen, you are amazing!!! So inspiring.

I made some blackberry jam and am hoping to get some more before fall sets in. Yummy!

Katie

Amity's Focus Member
8 pints salsa
4 pints tomatoes with basil and onion
3 freezer packs of raspberry puree
2 litres of basil/peppercorn vinegar
1 freezer pack of pesto

froggygarden

journeying
We canned apple sauce, plum jam, and plum chutney this weekend. The chutney is awesome. We used the crockpot and slow cooked it all day, canning it after the kids were in bed and the flavor is amazing. I am wishing we had access to more plums. We picked what was left on our landlord's trees after they canned their jam for winter. It is the little sweet wild plums that I have only seen over here.

artemis33

Amity's Focus Member
Oh plum chutney sounds good! We have a plum tree and I've already made tons of jam...been trying to think of what else to make before they are gone! I was thinking of trying an asian plum sauce, but I've never made a homemade version so I don't know. I believe ours are Bramson plums.

Top Bottom