Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

what did you 'put up' today? (any day, starting today)

cathleenc

dirty. good dirt.
Marina, what/whose mozz recipe are you guys using? I'm too frustrated with Rikki Carrol's quick recipe and hoping to try the 3 day fias co farm recipe tomorrow....

tell me which one. please.

Saltwater

Amity's Focus Member
She's used a few, but most recently this one:
How to Make Mozzarella Cheese : Heavenly Homemakers

What lead to this one is we ran out of starter and we're desperately waiting on that UPS package, and well, you probably know how fast 5 gallons of milk a day catches up with you. This recipe uses buttermilk. I like this recipe because it has a very buttery flavor, which is lovely when you're just eating it like a cheese stick. Morgan makes "rolls" kind of like you would a cinnamon roll dough and then slices them. When you eat them you just unroll. It's the closest thing to the packaged cheese sticks she's come up with.

Have you cooked w/your fromage blanc? We've only eaten it cold so far, crumbled on salads, whipped w/some cream and spread on bagels, on sandwiches, etc, but I'm thinking of putting some in burritos w/fresh salsa for dinner.

Morgan is trail riding, but when she gets back I'll try to get some more cheese info from her. I know she uses the recipes at Fias Co Farms too, but couldn't tell you which one. I'm bread. She's cheese. Mason's eggs. lol

punkin

Amity's Focus Member
so far, i've made one measely batch of strawberry jelly. i was super busy during strawberry season and only went picking once. the place i usually pick lost their whole crop this year (i'm not sure why) so had to go somewhere else and it was lousy picking.

cathleenc

dirty. good dirt.
I've got an unusual product - 10 lbs of lard! I rendered a bunch of pork fat from the pig we bought/had butchered recently - part of our attempt to honor the pig's life by using as much of it as we could. So now I've got a ton of lard and well, I've never used lard. LOL. At least I know it is chemical-free lard from a well-treated pig.

Going to try making a pie crust tomorrow using some of our new lard. Oh lardy. (I just had to say that). Might try making soap with some of it later on Meanwhile, I have lard!

mamabear

~*~smile~*~
Marina :bow: 140 tomato plants? 96 quarts of beans? You are amazing. I'm humbled by my 32 tomato plants. ;)

U pick *just* opened at our local farm for strawberries~ YAY! Gonna go Monday, or maybe tomorrow afternoon. Today and tomorrow are full days for me, I am in a basic motorcycle course and learning how to ride. :D

Yesterday I put up eggs. Yes, eggs. I froze a bunch to see how they come out, in little plastic containers, 2 at a time, gently stirred together (then tried 4 in one container). I hard boiled a bunch and am wondering about pickling them.

I found a beautiful stand of yarrow near some big rocks, so hope to harvest and dry that today. We also have tons of wild mint, wondering what to do with that besides dry it. Chamomile needs harvesting and drying too.

Other than that it's still very much all about greens, spring onions, and very soon - peas! :) I always feel so behind in zone 3.

eta - elderflowers are almost blooming - anyone made syrup, ever? i am gonna make some, possibly sell it to our local restaurant (I know the bar manager) for vodka drinks, YUM! i have so many elderberries)

Last edited:

Saltwater

Amity's Focus Member
Cathleen, she's halfway through making the Fias Co farm mozzarella now. I'll let you know how it turns out. I do know the ricotta from this recipe is very yummy, and I don't really care for ricotta.

She's made sour cream and buttermilk now, both successfully, from the goats milk. The sour cream (made from straight goats milk) is thinner than the stick to the spoon stuff in the grocery, but it's divine in taste. Both made with s.lactis, s.cremoris, l.b.diaetylactis, m.s.cremoris.

Her other mozzarella recipes are print outs she was given. I thought she'd printed them from information online, but no.

How have your had cheeses turned out? Colby, jack and cheddar is what we use. Not sure which hard cheese recipe she should make first.

Saltwater

Amity's Focus Member
Marina :bow: 140 tomato plants? 96 quarts of beans? You are amazing. I'm humbled by my 32 tomato plants. ;)
not really. I just have help.

Our canned items lasted two years no problem. So now I'm growing and canning for two years, in case our garden fails one year.

cathleenc

dirty. good dirt.
Marina,
oddly enough I finished my first batch of fias co mozzarela today - letting it finish shaping/cooling in the fridge, will taste it tomorrow to see what we think. It is a true pasta fillata recipe rather than the 'quickie' version known as 30-minute mozzarela. It looked great and yes, I made the ricotta from the whey and it is so amazingly creamy and rich! I adore the cow milk ricotta I make with the whey from hard cheese but never made goat milk ricotta before.

As for hard cheeses, I very successfully made goat romano and cow parmesan last year - the romano at 1 yr old absolutely rocks. The parmesan is better than average store bought but could and hopefully will improve this time around. A new batch of goat cheddar is in the fridge, attempting 'bandaging' instead of waxing this time around (you wrap the cheese in muslin and then paste lard all over it for aging and air proofing). Mostly we eat a ton of goat feta and then a bunch of soft ripened cheeses, like brie and blue types.

Have you made cajeta yet? it is divine - in coffee, on ice cream, make hot caramel milk, to give as gifts, etc. You can use a ton of goat milk making this. We are getting 1.5 gallons a day and still going up - somedays the fridge looks like all milk!

What starter is your daughter using for the buttermilk? I adore buttermilk...

Like Lauren, I was jealous of you having helpers, too..... but not jealous of the 140 tomato plants! that is almost a nightmarish level of work just waiting to explode on you!

ThirtySomething

About to burst
4 pints of salsa. Tomorrow I have to work through 50 lbs of peaches. I've already done 50 lbs of apricots (jam and freezing) and 25 lbs of peaches.

Saltwater

Amity's Focus Member
What starter is your daughter using for the buttermilk? I adore buttermilk...

Like Lauren, I was jealous of you having helpers, too..... but not jealous of the 140 tomato plants! that is almost a nightmarish level of work just waiting to explode on you!
It's a starter from leeners. It looks like it's the Flora Danica at the Dairy Connection. Isn't that where you get your starter?

Chase is even participating heavily in the canning this year. Heaven help us. :lol: It's canning w/someone that has an engineering mind. It runs like clock work, but Morgan and I are ready to strangle him once it's all over.

Saltwater

Amity's Focus Member
4 pints of salsa. Tomorrow I have to work through 50 lbs of peaches. I've already done 50 lbs of apricots (jam and freezing) and 25 lbs of peaches.
I'd give anything to trade some veggies for fruit. There's just not much fruit here at all. Strawberries, but don't blink, you'll miss the season.

How are your fruit trees doing?

cathleenc

dirty. good dirt.
It looks like it's the Flora Danica at the Dairy Connection.
I love flora danica for chevre! had no clue I could use it for buttermilk. And yes, I do run over to dairy connection far too often for 'just one more thing.'

I was just thinking about how I love our local - I can drive to a major cheese supply place (dairy connection) and to a major bee supply place (dadants). Talking to enthusiasts in person is always more fun than ordering on the internet. (hoping to drive to both on Tuesday)

cathleenc

dirty. good dirt.
today: elderflower syrup, first batch. :) can't wait to see how it turns out.
when are you going to test it? Tell us about it! what did you do to make it?

I've been chafing at the bit to get a batch of elderberry flower wine started - all I need is time. But chances are high I'll miss the bloom (going out of town) and will stick to elderberry cookery a bit later.

a dear friend always made a really lovely elderflower cordial - yummy!

mamabear

~*~smile~*~
That's what this is - a cordial. You steep it for 2-4 days. I tasted last night and yum!

Using this recipe: http://www.honest-food.net/blog1/wild-game-recipes/veggie-recipes/elderflower-syrup/

oh and what do i need for the wine? I kind of want to do that too.

i love that w/elderberries you can miss the flowers and still get all the goodness of the berries later. they're very forgiving. but i still have many jars of jelly from last year so i am not worried about using up too many flowers. i pruned the HELL out of them this spring but they are still WAY too huge!

mamabear

~*~smile~*~
how? w/what? am curious :) i have several more batches worth of flowers still blossoming...

cathleenc

dirty. good dirt.
3 lbs farmhouse cheddar (2 parts goat milk 1 part cow milk)
10 oz ricotta salata (my first try, we'll see)
3-1/2 pint jars sour cherry jam
2 qts sour cherries in the freezer for pie mid-winter

Top Bottom