zero waste home

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by MMJoiner, Jun 7, 2010.

1. MMJoiner

MMJoiner New Member

have you seen this blog? The Zero Waste Home

lots of good ideas. I don't have access to a bulk grocer like she does, but still, some great ideas that could be implemented. And I'm always looking for ways to reduce the amount of disposables we need- saves money!
    She goes shopping for clothes twice a year, and always buys used. Our thrift stores around here must not have the kind of selection her's does. I'm jealous! :lol: The inventory of clothes would be really helpful though... help organize my mind and only buy what i need. It would have to be on an as needed by season basis, instead of twice a year.
    I need to start saving glass jars and jugs, and searching thrift stores for them. I can't go to a bulk grocer, but I might could buy meat that way. At the deli, or a grocery store where they cut the meat and you pick the cuts you want. Check with the manager and see if they'd put it in my jar instead of plastic.
  2. Soledad

Soledad Back to little sleep

Thanks for sharing the blog. I look forward to looking at the blog. I'm always looking for ways to cut the clutter, not use too many 'things' and my favorite thing..saving money.
  3. Slightlycrunchymama

Slightlycrunchymama New Member

Very cool blog, I got lost in reading it. Nice. Thank you for sharring it.
  4. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

We use glass jars for so many things in our house already, who knew it would be an "in" thing? We have an indoor composter that just needs worms, I think you can get some that are not too much on Amazon.

If you use a letter opener consistently, by which i mean you always open letter from the same side, then the opened envies are super easy to reuse as a "tablet" by the phone or bedside.

I will have to look into bulk purchasing, it's not very common here. I think you'd have to have your jar weighed empty first too, which could be a problem in some stores. I wonder how she gets around having to pay for the jar's weight for items like flour and pasta that are sold by the pound?

I'm super curious about grey water reycling, if she uses a very eco friendly soap couldn't her grey water be reused? Maybe a big old thrift store soup pot would work for that, hrm. . .

And on her rant on the "I am not a plastic cup" coffee cup, I want to get that cup! I am going to paint the "I am not a plastic cup" on it and then seal it. Everywhere here takes your cup from home for coffee/tea and they sometimes give you a % off for it. So that would be super easy.

And my baking soda is already in a vintage jar, it's green with a yellow lid, but I don't think it's for parmasean (Sp?) I think it's an old spice or something container but I can't find it's info yet so I'm not for sure.

Very interesting, thank you!!
  5. stephanielynn

stephanielynn New Member

i have a feeling i am about to click on some good reading for the late night.
  6. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    There is some good reading on that site. We already have our wast down to one 13 gallon trash bag a week and one curbside recycling tub but there is still room for improvement.
  7. #barb#wire#

#barb#wire# Battling Shelob

I thought it was interesting reading. My only thing was with her idea to "refuse". I get that and I think that it helps bring attention to packaging especially. But a lot of it seemed that it was zero waste because she refused the packaging. . . but that doesn't mean the packaging didn't end up in the garbage anyway. Like the fact that she says she doesn't have a lot to recycle because she doesn't bring the shoe box home for example. Well now instead of being recycled, like it would be if I brought the shoe box home, it more likely ended up in the store's dumpster.
  8. marjen

marjen Go!

True but the packaging should be the responsibility of the producer. If we all refused the packaging the retailer and then, ultimately, the manufacturer would have to confront the issue. Businesses have limits as to how much garbage they too can create, without paying more. So it would be passing the expense on to the businesses, and then on to the real culprits, the manufacturers. Unfortunately it would seem only $$ talks and it would be a step in the right direction to forcing manufacturers to deal with their own waste.