Your weekend gardening plans?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by justthemama, Feb 14, 2009.

1. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

I've started this evening. :) I started 144 pellets with seed. I did:

24 carrots (2 varieties)
    24 radishes
    24 scallions
    24 garlic chives (I have a regular chive plant outside already so this is for variety)
    24 impatiens
    12 yellow squash
    12 corn (an early variety)

I have enough peat pellets to refill one of my two trays, so I'll pick up another but I really shoudn't start anything else till I'm finished with the current two trays. I want to though. It will be hard to resist. :lol:

Outside, I have two big planter bowls (they're up on a decorative wall in front of the front door) and I'm going to rake them out, add compost/soil and plant two varieties of zinnias. Last year we planted a wildflower mix in these and few sprouted but we didn't tend to them well or fix up the soil (I think it's the same soil from when the house was built in 2003, cause the owners said they didn't plant in those after the first year). Some are sprouting now and I plan to just til them in...maybe a few will come back and sprout.

Then, with my containers, I have two new 3cu bags of compost/potting mix and will fill two 20 gal. sterilite tubs and my 3 remaining planters. I have to transfer some things to larger containers and will do that. I still have 6 small tomato plants to get into containers as well as zuchini.

Also finally getting some hand-me-down pots from Craigslist and will pick those up tomorrow. :)

I still need more soil/compost. The 3cu bags I get are $8 each, which isn't too bad but I'm on bag 6 now and it's adding up....and dh and I started doing Dave Ramsey this past week, so it's...um...getting harder to spend this money! ;) Yeah, it's an investment in the kids, etc. but not a necessity I guess. But I digress. ;) The nice thing is that once we build our real beds (doing square-foot style beds as soon as we can) I plan to recycle as much of this potting mix into the beds as I can, so I won't have to go out and buy a million more bags all at once. Then I'm going to gradually refill all my containers and planters slowly, so it won't break the bank.
  2. momof2boys1girl

momof2boys1girl Awwwwwwww PICKELS!!!!!!!!

wow you are ambitious!! It is still freezing here so I cant plant anything
  3. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

We've got a few more weeks until it's time start our seeds here but we're getting ready. Been figuring out what varieties to get and having so much fun with it. We're trying some new carrots this year and a cold hardy watermelon. :)
  4. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

I was shocked to learn I actually started my seeds quite a bit too late! Gotta love that Phoenix weather! LOL! I'm starting things outside now since I lost quite a few of the seedlings to legginess. I did manage to replant a fair bit of them and will try to save them. And I've since been told I can start almost everything outdoors here.

I should take new pics of our container garden. We have strawberries growing and the tomatoes are flowering!
  5. alexismom

alexismom Lovin Life

We are still eleven weeks before last frost. But, we are starting to get into full swing here. So far we have started:

Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Marigolds
    Scallions
    Parsley

I also got my compost and my vermiculite this weekend. I just need to get my peat moss (or preferable a better enviromental substitue, which is why I havent bought it yet. ) I also got the stuff to build my boxes(we are sq ft gardening) I put one box together today, but had to come in because of a sick baby. I should be able to start peas next week as well as cauliflower. Everything seems to be starting well except the scallions but I just redid them today so we will see.
  6. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

I put in two trees today (dwarf 4-variety self-fertile apple and pear trees) and pulled out the roots of a tree that died last year.

Eric's working on gardens for the kids (the one I used last year as an herb garden will be for one child, and he's making two more) and got dirt for my other raised bed. We're getting whiskey barrels for an herb garden, plus for the tomatillos.. and maybe one for strawberries.

I'm going to post on craigslist/freecycle that if anyone wants to come dig up my heather, they're welcome to it. I've got one area that has about 10-12 heather plants and I want to put raspberries over there..
  7. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Couple weeks till planting here, I'm about to order seeds to fill out what I have from last year, and will order seed potatoes. My goal this year is to do it as thriftily as I can

eta - till starting seeds INSIDE. we are months from outside planting - june 1 ish. maybe earlier if this turns out to be the real mud season and it warms up from here...if we're lucky maybe i'll dare put out cool weather stuff around may 20.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  8. kaje62

kaje62 crone woman

can't resist! continue to clean up the dog poop out of the deep snow in our backyard..smirk
  9. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

Last weekend I planted the 10 tiny blueberries I brought from my old garden. I still have to get out and plant the rhubarb crown, some native plants and some black raspberry (black cap) plants. I have the spots picked out just waiting for a semi warm afternoon where we aren't sick!

I'm also filling out my seed order. Trying to decide how many potatoes to plant (thinking 5lbs). Took inventory of last year's seeds yesterday.

I have to lay out my beds still too!!! The new veggie beds (there aren't any now - just some berry and herb patches) will be over lawn so I am hoping to do lasagna style. Was reading up today. One new neighbor has cows and the other has horses so I am hoping we can get some good manure :)

I've GOT to lay the beds out soon if I want to be able to plant this season!