WWYD ....Clothdiapers and vacation........

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by mama2yx, Jun 7, 2004.

1. mama2yx

mama2yx In the dark!

we are leaving in three weeks for a 6 week long trip to my folks in germany. I will be sooo superbusy while I am there.......I have so many things planned and will be on the go a lot including a few 1-3 day trips where I do not have any way to storeing CDs while on those trips.
    I otherwise have a washer on hand since I am staying with my family, but I was already told that the water and sewage cost has gotten very $$$.
    Well.........here is my dilema. I don't want to drag that much stuff with me on the plane anyway (I am already with one large suitcase and don't even have any clothes packed yet) and now my mom has asked me to not bring the clothdiapers with me. I told her to remember that she breaks out with Pampers and she said that they have OKO diapers (like Tushies, unbleached, no gels etc) available in almost every drugstore now and that i should enjoy my vacation and just try those instead.
    I am soo tempted......even DH said to just relax and not worry about CDs and just use the OKO ones. (one of my reason why I CD is that the reg diapers have the gel>

WWYD.........buy the OKO diapers (Moltex ├ľko) and just enjoy my vacation or would I be wrong for doing so?
  2. milk42

milk42 At home in Iowa

I don't see anything wrong with using disposables while on vacation. I have done the same when we go to the states to visit family. We also didn't use them when we would go stay with friends for a few days. No biggie to me. I think using cloth has made an impact on my kids health, my older dd's view of disposable items, and the environment. Just beware, using disposies is pretty convienint, and it was hard for me to get back in the swing of things after coming home!!

Have a wonderful time! What part of Germany will you be in? We are in Darmstadt!

Amy
  3. mama2yx

mama2yx In the dark!

Hey.......maybe we can even meet. I will be like-> this close to you. ;)

I AM PM YOU NEXT TIME I GET ONLINE.
  4. norasmama

norasmama Nigel's mama too!

I have always used disposable diapers while on vacation. I don't get to go on vacation very often, so it isn't that huge a deal. Whatever you decide is fine, mama. Enjoy your time with your parents. :D
  5. love my 2 boys

love my 2 boys New Member

I used disposable on vacation and I don't see anything wrong with using them while on vacation. I dont want the extra packing and then worrying about storage/cleaning them. Enjoy your trip!!
  6. amyorama

amyorama Amity's Focus Member

For what it's worth, I brought along an extra suitcase full of cloth diapers when I flew with my (then) 2 kids a few years back. I was so tired/busy visiting, I never opened that suitcase-I used disposables the whole time!

Use disopsables, IMO!
  7. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

I will be no help for you. When I go on vacation-vacation, I use disposables. When I go on vacation to family, I bring our cloth. Wait, it depends. If we are seeing family for a weekend, I use disposables, if I'm going long enough to do a load of laundry I use cloth. This is just me, but if I were going for 6 weeks and staying with family, I would use cloth. But, if you use disposables, you don't need to feel guilty. Enjoy your trip. It sounds wonderful.
  8. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

I always used disposables when on vacation. Especially when visiting family (I, too, was asked to not bring cloth even though I never planned to anyway). Apparently some people get grossed out over the thought of diapers being washed in their machine.
  9. Ocelot

Ocelot New Member

I used to drag cloth on all of our vacations but it was such a hassle and I was annoyed by not being able to pack light - which I love doing.

We now used disposables for all vacations, even weekend trips, so much easier!

I don't feel bad:p
  10. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

Well, here's a compromise. I used to bring cloth everywhere with us when we'd go on vacation and end up hand washing them when we'd go sailing for 2 weeks which is a big hassle. I now bring 'fosies but bring cloth for overnight. This way 1/2 the time we're using disposables but the other 1/2 I'm using cloth. I also throw in 6 prefolds, and 2 Bummi covers for just in case we begin to deal with rashes. This won't take up a bunch of room and, although it would mean washing a lot if you end up using them, it's nice to know they're there.

HTH!! Don't worry if you go to all disposables - as you can see many of us do.

Ann
  11. mama2yx

mama2yx In the dark!

Thanks gals for all the input.....

i think i will just use the sposies......but due to Jassy's excema, i have to stick to the unblreached, non gel kind like the tushies. I think i will just enjoy vacation without having to worry about washing her dipes. If worst comes to worse and she gets a bad rash.....i go and order the diapers from the diaper service there locally or buy some CD locally there (readily available).

ps:most of the time while on vacation should be spent at the pool anyway.....so who needs a diaper other than swim diaper anyway ;) kwim
  12. Mysticmama

Mysticmama New Member

One thing I remember was that German stores were so much more expensive than US ones so maybe you would want to buy the Tushies here and then take them w/ you but of course that would probably be a whole suitcase full. You can do that or plan to spend more money for the convenience of not having to carry them. Unless you have access to a PX, which would be less expensive than a German store. I'm not sure if your husband is in the military though.
  13. mama2yx

mama2yx In the dark!

I was thinking about doing that, but they now have Oko moltex diapers (german brand like tushies) that costs the same as what i pay for tushies here.

Thanks for the suggestion tho. ;)
  14. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

but that would be great because then you'd have an empty suitcase to bring stuff home in!
  15. mama2yx

mama2yx In the dark!

LOL...that would be a good idea IF I did not already have 1 29" suitcase full with presents and stuff to give to my nephews, friends and other family. I so far have NO clothes packed but already have a 29" one full. That will be the one to bring stuff home in.

DS's lil suitcase (he insists on bringing) is already full too.......not a bit of clothes in it yet *YIKES.
    I now have to bring one more big suitcase with clothes for us to wear lol....or we are going to walk around NAKIE lol!
  16. Scarlet

Scarlet Amity's Focus Member

Sounds like you had already decided when you posted but thought I'd post anyway.

We go to Europe for similar trips from time to time and have brought cloth. Po also has problems with disposables and screamed when we put one on him for the plane. Stood on one leg and yanked at it trying to take it off.

My mother did have a suggestion though which I would try if we had to do the sposie route.... she suggested putting cloth liners in the sposies so he would have cloth touching him but they would be easy to rinse out in a bathroom sink and dry quickly.

We actually found cloth easy on vacation... when we were staying in hotels we used flatfolds in a velcro wrap and just rinsed them out in the bathtub, they are a single layer so easy and quick to wash and dry. We brought fitteds for when we had access to a washer.

We paid for a seat for Po though so he would be strapped in a car seat in case of turbulence, so he had his own luggage allowance.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011