Wow

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by DixieChick, Mar 11, 2010.

1. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

I popped in here for a minute and just wow. The recent topics are so divisive and hurt my heart.

I am a Christian. I follow Christ. He is LOVE. I agree. He is also authority. Jesus said that if I love him, I will keep his commandments. I love him. I strive to keep his commandments. I was not aware of the fact that this made me a fundamentalist or a legalist or a bad person, but apparently it does.

I try not to call names. I try to follow God's word, and it is full of love. However, if you don't submit to the reign of the King, you can't be part of his kingdom. To me, it is a simple equation.
  2. hana

hana Active Member

n/t
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  3. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

Did we need a new thread for this? I mean that sincerely.
  4. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Hayes, it was a painful for all parties involved but there was also some peacefulness at the end and an openness to continue discussion.
  5. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

I'm gonna tell you (the general "you") this about that: I am so not going to even discuss who gets to call themselves a Christian and who is not. I am not debating the issue again. I'll represent myself as a Christian and if people don't think that my beliefs make me one, then that is their issue, not mine to discuss.

:hippy: to all. But, seriously, I am not arguing who gets to use the term and who doesn't ever again.
  6. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

:agreed: :nodyes:
  7. teathymes

teathymes mama pajama

now here it goes, here it goes, here it goes again, now here it goes again......(here is me doing tricks on a treadmill)
  8. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

I read the other thread. I am not saying anyone else is not a Christian. I am just so blown away by the open nature of someone calling me out because of my conservative beliefs.
  9. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Not sure which thread you are talking about.

If it is Rebecca's thread, she wasn't calling anyone else. If it was either mine or Jen's thread, knowing who participated in those threads from that POV, I don't know why it would suprise you.
  10. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

I just find it so astounding that someone who is a Christian, who says they aren't being open or loving enough, they haven't been "out there" enough is saying to be nice to me, the "Fundamentalist" because I am giving Christians a bad name.

Honestly, I had no idea REbecca felt that way. Seems there is a contingent of "Liberal" Christians that would basically like me to just sit down and shut up. I guess I expect persecution from the world, but not from inside the body of Christ. Although both online and in real life, that seems to be where it comes from.
  11. Sunflower_Momma

Hayes, if you would like to discuss any of this specifically with me, you can send me a pm. But, I'm not defending myself or explaining myself or any of my Reform/Liberal sisters in any board discussion. If someone else wants to do so for me, go for it. But, I will not engage this discussion. The only reason I am even posting is because, specifically, my name was brought up.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  12. hana

hana Active Member

Persecution here? Really? I'm not seeing it.

The thought of Rebecca persecuting anyone makes my head spin.
  13. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Rebecca doesn't want to discuss this but I will. First of all I know that there are "fundamentalist" out there that give all conservative Christians a bad name (think Pearls and Westboro Church). So I believe that if we take the label conservative then we have to own that there is mud on the name. In my second thread that was what I was working out. *WE* (as a general group) have been guilty of acting without love in certain instances.

I feel safe in saying that Rebecca in no ways feels that "all" conservative Christians give Christ a bad name even if she doesn't agree with us on theological issues. I think that is the line we all walk, loving Christ, showing his love and yet taking a stand against sin and doing it in a loving way.

I don't necessarily think "liberals" would like us to "sit down and shut up" but maybe they do and maybe that goes both ways. :shrug: I know Rebecca wanted to have a conversation with mamas who would understand her POV and she also didn't want to start a massive debate. We see how well that worked out:lol: , but hopefully in the end we came to a place where we can continue to have open discussion on issues. We may not agree but we can agree to disagree out of love.

Finally, please don't use the "p" word. As conservative Christians in America there is nothing we face that deserves to be called persecution. IMO it devalues what Christians all over the world are facing when in America we say we are facing persecution. I am not trying to be harsh but this week I have been heart broken over the slaughter of men, women AND children in Nigeria b/c they were Christians. What we face any day in America isn't even in the same universe as what Christians face all over the world simply because they claim that Jesus is Lord.

Well and one more thing, if you want to know how Rebecca feels send her a pm, she doesn't bite even if she disgrees with you.:)
  14. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

:agreed:
  15. hana

hana Active Member

Thanks, Robin. I hope I didn't come off as flippant. As you note, historically and even today, there is considerable persecution of Christians (and others of the whole range of religious beliefs). I didn't mean to in any way sound as if I don't believe such persecution is very real and very terrible.
  16. Sunflower_Momma

Hana and Robin, thank you both. And, Robin, thank you for explaining it. I think that you are spot on. So, you can speak for me any time! I think you do a better job of it than do I.

I'm off to do Friday things.

Hope all have a love-filled day.
  17. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

I didn't take it as flippant at all.
  18. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Thank you, I am enjoying walking this journey. It is streching me to find ways to be true to my convictions and yet maintain a loving response.

There is still a part of me that wants to say "BECAUSE IT IS TRUE" in response to so many things, BUT that defeats the purpose of actually being heard and if I am not heard what exactly is the point.

(This isn't just about this thread, it is my struggle in my personal life too.)

:heart smirk:
  19. Claire Berry

Claire Berry New Member

Girl! You need to get them to make that into a smiley!
  20. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

I too would never have thought Rebecca would speak that way. I know she didn't mean it in condemnation, but it certainly felt that way to me.