Wipes Solutions

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Maura, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

What wipes solution do you use for your babies? I usually use plain water, but I am wondering what other moms like. Thanks!
  2. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

Plain water here!
  3. isaacsmama

isaacsmama New Member

I use Baby Bits...got it from Kelly's Closet (or Kloset??)
  4. EMTonya

EMTonya learning....click...

water, lavender eo & a little olive oil. sometimes i put in a little tea tree oil or use eucalyptus instead of lavender.
  5. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

So how do you mix it, ie ratio of ingredients? How do you store it? In a spray bottle? Thanks!
  6. EMTonya

i use a 20 oz water bottle w/ the sport cap. fill w/ water, 5-6 drops of whatever eo & maybe a teaspoon of olive oil (a little goes a long way). i give it a good shake & squirt on the wipes in the warmer. i keep about 10-12 wipes in the warmer at a time. that way they dont dry out or get smelly.
  7. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

i make a 2qt jug

distilled water
    8 tsp safflower oil (or any other oil you prefer)
    8 tsp soap ( i use dr. bronner's...yummy almond is my fav)
    20 drops of e.o. (i usually use tea tree...sometimes clary sage)

i put the lid on...shake it and then pour it on the wipes 2 by 2 in the wipes container. 2 wipes in...pour a little...two wipes in ...pour a little...two wipes in ....etc.

i used to keep it in the fridge but then i started using it up so fast that i just keep it in the pitcher next to the changing table.
  8. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

Thank you for the posts. I was also wondering how long you can use the mixture before, or if, it spoils? Or does it not spoil? I'm sure that's a dumb question, but I am curious.....I had bought those Baby Bits awhile back, and in out overseas move they must have slipped away.:)
  9. juliebelle

i have no idea honestly..i have never had mine spoil...but i haven't ever had it sit for more than a week or two....
  10. LifesaBeach

LifesaBeach Amity's Focus Member

water...fresh from the tap. :)

The idea of wipes sitting in some kind of fluid sorta ooks me out,lol...I always wonder if people leave the wipes in the solution or do they squirt the solution on the wipes?
  11. juliebelle

mine are wet..but i wouldn't say they were 'sitting in some kind of fluid'...they are about as wet as a disposible wipe is. i go through them fast enough with an 8 month old that i don't worry about it too much.
  12. MommytoTommy

MommytoTommy Active Member

Water from the tap on the way to change. I do have a peri bottle filled with distilled water with a bit of shampoo in the diaper bag.
  13. isaacsmama

isaacsmama New Member

I dissolve the Baby Bits in 1 cup of warm water and put it in a spray bottle next to the wipes
  14. ~Meeshi~

~Meeshi~ Also Known As Michelle

I have always wondered, what's the point of using something other than plain warm water?

When Kaya was first born, I followed a few recipes from another diapering board, but they only left residue on her bum.

Is there a reason you'd need something more than just water?
  15. juliebelle

i always use oil b/c it makes the clean up of poopy diapers soooooooo much easier...the tea tree is anti bacterial (not that you didn't know that)...and the soap is just to be clean b/c we don't bathe every day.
  16. EMTonya

:smirk: yeah, that...
  17. PraznGod

PraznGod Guest

I just use plain water but I think I'd like to use an eo. I HATE cold wipes. So I put water in a wipes warmer with enough wipes for a day or two. i clean the warmer a few times a week :)
  18. ~Meeshi~

~Meeshi~ Also Known As Michelle

Ah, I see. My wipes had sherpa on one side, so they had super scrubbing power to get poop off.

How do you rinse off the soap and oils after you use a wipe? Do you use another wipe with plain water?
  19. juliebelle

the oil makes the wipe so smooth. i can't really explain it unless you've used it. i have terry wipes and they are super scrubby...but when i just use water...it feels almost rough. hard to explain.

i don't use that much..it isn't like they are wet. i just let their bum air out a little. the wipe is damp not drippy or anything...not like a washcloth.
  20. EMTonya

my solution has very little oil & no soap (usually) & i dont see why it would need rewiped. & the oil actuall helps the poop just slide off easier, so no scrubbing needed:)