Winterpromise?

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by chrissymama, May 28, 2010.

1. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

Has anybody used this? What were your thoughts?

I'm thinking of trying either the Animals one or the Children Around the World one.
  2. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

I think Jeni still uses WP. We used the Animals one several years ago and we all really enjoyed it. I actually think that if we used it now we would enjoy it more simply because I am more organized. We are rereading the One Small Square books this year as we study geography.

I have also used some of the books from CAW this year as we have studied geography. Dh is currently reading Facing the Lion to the boys at night. So we like it also. I would caution you to look over the book selections as some of them might be mature for your little ones. JMO

Also search on this forum on WP and you should find some thread discussing what people liked/didn't like.
  3. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

I am a "dyed in the wool" WinterPromise user. Ever since Robin introduced me to Animals and Their Worlds when Joshua was 6yo, we have continued on with WP as our focus.

We have completed Animals and Their Worlds, part of I'm Ready to Learn, most of World Around Me Science, all of American Story 1 & 2, and WinterPromise's Language Arts levels K, 1, 2 & 3.

Of the two programs you are considering, I would think Animals and Their Worlds would be a better intro to WP's way of learning. They've completely revamped the program to be more cohesive. They took out the alphabet portion from the main theme for grades 1-4, making another guide for the PreK-K students which has it included. This makes things flow more smoothly. We REALLY loved AW. We've not yet done CATW, but I know it has the Plight of the Children which can be troubling to some little ones, as well as mature in areas.

The American Story 1 and 2 themes are also INCREDIBLE! I am so thankful I found WP early on in our homeschool sequence so that we had the opportunity to take advantage of these wonderful programs. Using real books and hands on activities are exactly the way I want to teach history and science.
  4. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    i am going to use this for T & W this next year ~ i have wanted to & i am finally going to buy. looking forward to it!
  5. redheadmama

redheadmama Active Member

We just recently started the Middle Ages from WP. I absolutely love the curriculum, and the girls are very very excited about it as well. They can't wait to do that part of our learning day and even with the read aloud stuff, it has been great. They are very into the books we are using and it is fun to let my older 2 take turns reading aloud as well.

My only gripe with it is that I ordered back in February and I am still waiting on a book. It took me 2 months to get a majority of the books. They have had shipping problems since the beginning and they say they are working on a system so that won't happen. I get that. The thing I was not happy about was the lack of communication on their part. If it is going to be late, fine, but let me know. Every bit of communication has been initiated on my end. They did give me a store credit for the delay (which I am not wanting to use until I get the stuff I have already ordered and paid for) and they did refund me the price of the book I am still waiting on, and are still going to send it to me.

It's just the principle. I ordered mid-February. I got some initial books, then some more, and then after emailing and inquiring, got the bulk of the rest in April. They had been through a move and were very apologetic, and gave me the store credit. In April I was told the last book would be shipping out in a week or 2. Then nothing. Then when I emailed back, I was told, oh, it was out of print, etc. etc. etc. but the thing is, I wouldn't be so unhappy if they had emailed me when they realized it was out of print and just told me then, you know?

I can't say that the shipping issues would stop me from buying again, because I think we have finally found "THE" curriculum for us, but I would say to be aware of possible shipping delays.
  6. back2thebasics

back2thebasics back2thebasics

I spend a lot of time drooling over the catalog, does that count? We have bought several of the books they suggest and have loved each of those, we are just too cheap/broke to buy the whole kit and kaboodle!
  7. gypsimama

gypsimama in a state of flow

We've used it a bit off and on. The family was local to me until they moved a bit ago. I liked it but did feel it lacked in writing. Fantastic literature, really great books. :)
  8. chrissymama

Which program are you going to use?

I have been poring over this catalog. I can't seem to put it down!

But, I can't decide which program to go with, if I do decide to give it a try.

Snowwhite, I see you recommended Animals and their Worlds. That definitely has my interest piqued. But then, American Story 1 sounds really really good too.

In the fall, I'll have a 3rd grader and a Kindergartener (plus the 2 little ones). Then, Hideaways in History sounds really good too.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm going to have dh read the catalog and see what his impression is. I've been talking to him about it and he really likes the sound of American Story (of the ones I'm considering).

I guess it's a good thing I don't quite have the cash to buy this yet since I'm so undecided still! A good half of me still isn't ready to give up on Waldorf.
  9. annethcz

annethcz New Member

We did AW a few years ago, with all 4 of my kids. I think they were preK- 2nd grade at the time. We really liked it. But, like Sonlight, we did find it hard to read just a few pages and put a book down. It worked really well for my family to look at the weekly schedule as a whole, and group things together that made sense for us. So we didn't follow the weekly schedule (do X on Monday, Y on Tues), but we did finish everything on the schedule by the end of the week.
  10. chrissymama

anne, i can see us doing that too.

i am really thinking we are going to give this a try. i am pretty set on American Story 1, i think.

now, i am trying to decide if i want to use their LA or not. i think i'd rather not, but i do like the idea of having it all laid out and it being coordinated with our program.

kaight, you didn't love their LA, right?

for math, i'm thinking of math mammoth. any thoughts on that?
  11. gypsimama

gypsimama in a state of flow

I think the history is well planned and has a lot of great resources and activities. I just think the LA needs some more work with the technical aspects of writing. That could be that I'm a poor writer and really want that to be a strength for my kids. ;)

I have math mammoth around here somewhere, I used it for a short time for first grade. If you want to see what it looks like, I could send the leaders guide for LA 1 and for American Story 1. They've added a few different books, but it's essentially the same. That way you can thumb thru the leaders guide and get a feel for how it might work for you. Just send it back when you're done looking at it, as I've promised it to a friend for the fall. :) If I can find Math Mammoth, I'll send that along too. That you could keep, it's the disk version. Just lmk.
  12. chrissymama

kaight, that would be SO awesome! i will pm you my address. just let me know how much shipping is and i will pp it to you!
  13. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

We are going to do Hideaways this next year! (along with parts of Sea and Sky since Joshua is bound and determined we MUST do that now!). If you think you will want to do Hideaways at all, I would think this would be the year to do it, rather than wait until after Amer 1 and 2, unless you want to do it with just your littles later on. (Naturally, that's with the idea you'd do more WP programs, which may not be the path you take).
  14. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann

i can't decide! lol ~ looking over it tonight.
  15. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

If any of you are still contemplating the Animals one, I have it. I just ran across it in the closet. :p
    I have the curriculum, literature and some phonics workbooks, it looks like.
  16. amyincali

amyincali New Member

I've been cleaning out my homeschool closet and I have American Story 1 to sell. It was from 4 years ago and it looks like it has been changed a little from the latest catalog. Several items seem to be missing but I've still got a lot of it (guide book, make your own history book, and 25 of the books- I'm still going through stuff and may find more). If any one is interested in it I'll see if I can pull it all together.
  17. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

If you want to list the books, ds is interested in Am History so we are always looking for readers.
  18. chrissymama

Amy and Terri, I might be interested in both, if you let me know what you have and what you're asking.

Thanks!
  19. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

I will list what I have. It looks like they may have redone some of it? It made me confused. :lol:
    I have:
    The Language Arts for Grade 2 including:
    Adventures in Phonics C
    Wordly Wise 3000 Bk 2
    Spellwell Bk. A
    Appendix 1 Language Worksheets

I have a Program Guide that is labeled PreK-2nd
    2 sets of Notebooking Pages

I have the following books/readers:
    Animal Defenses
    Animal Alphabet (coloring book)
    Everything Kids Animal Puzzle Book
    Williamson Kids Wildlife Book
    Williamson Wildlife Habitats
    Draw Write Now Book 6
    Serendipity
    Hector Springs Loose
    Rats on the Roof
    One Small Square: African Savannah

I will take $50 + shipping for the set.
  20. amyincali

amyincali New Member

The set is more complete than I thought. There are 7 books missing using the 2006 guidebook. I also have the 2010 WP catalog and there are 7 books in the 2010 version of AS 1 that are not used in the 2006 version (2 of them are WP exclusives). 5 of the books used in the 2006 version are not used in the 2010 version and I put asteriks next to those.

Here's what I have:
    2006 Guidebook
    Make Your Own History Sheets (one sheet may be missing but it looks pretty complete)
    Children's Encyclopedia of American History*
    Wild West*
    Celebrate America*
    The Birchbark House
    Tree in the Trail*
    Treasury of Classic Bible Stories
    If You Lived with the Hopi
    More than Moccasins
    Colonial America
    Interactive 3-D Maps
    The New Americas
    Southwest Indians*
    Discovery of the Americas
    Pedro's Journal
    The Sign of the Beaver
    The Fighting Ground
    George Washington
    How the U.S. Government Works
    If You Lived with the Iroquois
    Who Was Thomas Jefferson?
    The Secret Soldier
    Ben and Me
    Jed Smith, Trailblazer
    Little House on the Prairie
    Head Full of Notions: Robert Fulton
    The Trail of Tears
    A Pioneer Sampler
    Voyage of Patience Godspeed
    Plains Indian Teepee Village kit (complete)
    By the Great Horn Spoon
    Escape North: The Story of Harriet Tubman

Missing:
    Liberty: How the Revolutionary War Began
    Lewis and Clark Expedition
    Riding Freedom
    If You Lived with the Sioux
    Northeast Indians
    20 Bible Verses Every Child Should Know
    American History Mini-Books (I do have this but a couple books are missing- could throw in though)

I'm asking $160ppd for everything listed. The value of the books is $296 and that doesn't count for the guidebook or the make your own history book. (I can throw in the LA 2 guide sheets as well) The Southwest Indian books has a few marker marks on the cover and If You Lived with the Iroquois has a little water damage on the spine but most everything else is in really good shape. The guidebook pages are used especially the first 6-8 weeks and a couple of them have pen scribbles from one of my toddlers and I also made some pencil notes and check marks on them. All the playing cards are intact as far as I can tell. I also bought the first volume of Joy Hakim's series to go along with our studies and I can throw that in. It's not a required resource.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010