wild grape leaves?

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Katie, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

Anyone harvest them?

Yesterday as I ripped weeds I wondered...just how many edibles am I tossing into the heap? So I hit the google...

I'll have to check the front of the house in the morning and see if that vine is still trying to choke out my hydrangea.
  2. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

technically, no. I do feed them to my rabbits from time to time and the goats always hit them hard when we let them out to wander.

you 'can' use grape leaves or cherry leaves to help pickles stay crisp. Both have tannins in their leaves and the tannins help with crispness. I tried the cherry leaf version with all these pickles we are making and so far so good. (on the other hand we've yet to pasturize or water bath any so ...).

what cha got in mind? grape leaves in brine for dolmades? love eating them, hate making them.
  3. Katie

dolmades.

I found a blog that shows how to prep them for freezing too....in case you don't want to make dolmades the day of harvest.
  4. Katie

excellent. thank you. :)
  5. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

share the blog link?
    I tossed around the idea last year but was too lazy to go through with it. I'd like to do it this year if I can find the time. :)
  6. Katie

7. Saltwater

Saltwater Amity's Focus Member

what kinds can you use? Around my place we only have scuppernongs and muscadine.
  8. momof3tots

momof3tots Remember me?

I have them in the front rock bed by my japanese maple. HUGE lebanese population and my neighbor from the next street over knocked on the door once and asked if she could have them. I told her they were hers and she didn't have to ask again- she had free reign any time :)
  9. wabisabi

wabisabi New Member

wow! I never thought of doing this. Thanks!