Why must I ask? If you like remaining in the dark(which is great) then don't read:)

Discussion in 'Super Crunch' started by Linda, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

Vitamin C
    OK..so I read somewhere that most Vitamin C on the market is derived from GMO corn. One of my big no nos is GMO corn for health and political/environmental reasons. I think Monsanto is bad Mojo. One of the ultimate big bad corporations.

Regular Vitamin C is also extracted with solvents etc..and I am sure they are sooo careful with the residue levels left in the end product, yk? (Yes, I am being sarcastic)

So I emailed Emergen-C to ask them the source of their Vit C. Although by the time I hit send I knew the answer. Corn. Um, no not organic.

**** them...this just stinks. See what I mean? I was not even looking into this..I was reading a very cool article on Cancer and injectible vitamin C...and they happened to talk about this as well. I think that KNOWING this info is more harmful than the actual fact of the matter. I am seriously crunchy on this issue. No GMO corn when it can be avoided.(I won't freak out and not eat something in a restaurant or someones house if it has a corn product in it...I am not a freak about it)

Apparently Vitamin C from Cassava or Beets is good stuff. Just FYI. I am on the hunt for a responsible healthier vitamin C source.

Emergen-C is so darn yummy, and fun though.
    :vent:
  2. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Blech. Sadly, I'm not surprised. Newly informed. But not surprised.
  3. bubbles

bubbles New Member

Our new chiropractor (who put us onto the Standard Process products) told me that most vitamin C isn't used by the body (even that that the Vit C foundation touts). I can't remember the conversation well but you have my curious and I am going to talk to him about it again.
  4. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

I know you eat lots of fruits and veggies. Do you think you're not getting enough vitC through foods? Or that more, beyond that, is good?

No judgement...just wondering..
  5. Christi

Christi Perpetually NAK'ing

It's the first thing we do at the sign of a cold - Vit C to bowel tolerance, works every time to stop it in it's tracks

Man, that sucks.
  6. Morgansma

Morgansma Active Member

Crap. I was blissfully unaware.

If you find a replacement please let me know.
  7. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

i am always learning so much from you!!!

i was just getting ready to order some more too. this is why i second guess all vit products i get.
  8. PinkLotusMama

PinkLotusMama New Member

Try looking at the Vitamin C's that Radiant Life sells
    Radiant Life Catalog....I guess I can't post links yet. They have their Vitamin C's listed under Superfoods.

I take the Royal Camu and also take the Pure Radiance C. They also have Pure Planet Amla C and Acerola. I know the owner of the company is very into high quality products and makes sure they are pure/natural.
  9. ChantingMama

ChantingMama The Divine Miss M

Yuck. We are in the middle of powering C, too, since dd has come down with something. Ours is a quality brand, but then, so is Emergen-C. :(
  10. branwyn

branwyn fasting and cleansing

email me if you want to stay in touch - madhousema
    i had no idea, but then i cant have much vit c as it aids in iron absorption.
  11. Linda

You know, I hesitated posting this, as I feel like we know TOO much..and the knowledge is more damaging, say, than actually consuming GMO corn products. If that makes sense? I really don't want to stress anyone out about their supplements. Honestly I believe if you drink Emergen-C and believe with all your soul that it is beneficial to you, then it IS.

As a matter of fact, I don't think Emergen-C will hurt you...however, I am opposed to its source, darnit and I would like quality supplements.

Ooh..that Radiant life one looks good.
    http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/prod.cfm/ct/2/pid/1296

Danielle...Vit C has something to do with Glutathione levels..which is important in free radical scavenging and detoxification pathways.

I am gonna do more research into this. I'll post the Cancer article too as it is VERY interesting.
  12. KimberMama

KimberMama Active Member

I didn't know either. I can't take vitamin C (bladder issues, and I can't take most vitamin supplements at all), but DH likes Emergen-C. My gut feeling on vitamins and minerals is that food is the best source, but I also think that there are situations where supplementation is necessary (due to changes in how we live, for example, or soil depletion).

I've been reading about glutathione levels, as some of the meds I was taking (and one that I have take) reduce glutathione. But I haven't gone anywhere with researching how to boost glutathione levels.

I think knowledge is power.
  13. lakshmi_mama

lakshmi_mama cleaning house

Yes! I have to be on mega doses of Vit C for the foreseeable future because of detoxing from the candida as well as for mitochondrial repair.

It is also very important to me personally to avoid GMO corn, so this is very good information to have. Right now I don't know what the source of my supplements are (they come from my doctor's office's own formulation) but when I have the energy to look into it, it will be an important factor. Right now I have to just take what I have and worry about the rest later in my healing path. I have such horrible restrictions on what I can eat that keep me busy checking every.little.thing for now. :p Thanks for the heads up for the future!
  14. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

:wah: That sucks. But I agree, knowledge is power.

I know lots about glutathione as it's low in both CF and autism...so if anybody wants to pick my brain on it, be my guest. I do know that for CF N-acetyl-cysteine is often supplemented, but some folks actually use inhaled GSH (glutathione) to raise levels. If you take oral GSH it is not well-absorbed in the GI tract. We tried inhaled GSH w/Jake but it's something that, for various reasons, I'm not comfortable with for the long term.

ETA: I love New Chapter Organics supplements. They are local to me, too. C Food Complex by New Chapter delivers vitamin C in a whole food form It doesn't quite say but I *cannot imagine* them using GMO corn.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  15. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

16. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

Ahh dang.

Linda sweetie thanks for the info and don't feel bad at all about sharing it! Monsanto is the devil and I want to avoid them as much as possible! I was just reading about how they've been buying out seed companies (planning my garden right now).....BAH!

Anyway, I'll check the brand I have. I believe it is a high quality one, but would like to know about this so I'll contact them too and report back. Not gonna go crazy and dump all my EmergenC or anything, but I'd like to know what brands are *not* GMO corn derived to future purchases.

I am also interested in that cancer article by the way. :)
  17. PinkLotusMama

PinkLotusMama New Member

Linda-
    It is absolutely wonderful. I tend to just mix it with some water and drink it. It is easy to get down. It also mixes well in a smoothie. I absolutely love the combo of ingredients in it.

I use A LOT of Radiant Life Products. Absolutely love their stuff.
  18. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

19. Linda

labelling laws are very strange. ...so I would ask directly where their source comes from.
    You know how companies can say a product is 'natural' or 'organic' based on a certain percentage of ingredients? It might be able to be derived from corn even if they say there is no corn in the final product~if that makes sense?
  20. brooken

brooken New Member

I'm looking at my Natrol Ester-C (which I think comes in powder form, too) and it says no corn, wheat, eggs, and blah blah blah.
    Bummer about Emergen-C!