Why does swiss chard hate me? and other ponderous questions of the vegetable world.

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by MissNairne, Jun 16, 2010.

1. MissNairne

MissNairne All new, with added NAK!

or more specifically, my soil?

Two years running we have hopefully and optimistically planted swiss chard. Two years running we have bupkiss for our efforts. Every other Mainer has lovely, colorful chard in abundance in their gardens, including my highly lazy veg gardener friend (she loves her flowers and dotes on them, but not so much the veg).
    We have generally good soil. We planted in a new area than we did last year.

Nothing is coming up. Nada. Spinach is a row away and thriving. Romaine is just after the spinach and slow, but showing a few sprouts.
    The chard row looks fallow. :(

Does anyone know what the heck I am doing wrong?

Oh~ and while I am at it~ what bug eats the tops layer of a leaf (flatwise) and leaves just the white non-food producing underlayer? In other words, something is ruining my hope for squash. We never see the bugs, only find the ruined leaves in the morning. :vent:
  2. annethcz

annethcz New Member

I don't know what your issue is, but I have a similar issue with spinach. I've been trying to grow it for years, in two different locations, and still no luck. It's so frustrating when that happens.
  3. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

Beth, maybe leaf miners are destroying your squash?

Do you have flea beatles eating the chard? Look close to the soil - do you see little brown/black bugs jumping around? They jump just like 'traditional' fleas do. They destroyed my eggplant completely the last two years and I got zilcho for bok choy & napa cabbage. This year I started my oriental cabbages inside and transplanted outside when decently sized and whammo! we've got big gorgeous oriental cabbages ready to harvest.

Anne, no clue about your spinach loss! I know all about my spinach loss though - we got absolutly no spinach this year because I never got around to planting any. Drat it. Why is spring so short and summer so long?
  4. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

Yeah we can't grow spinach either. We get weak little plants with a few withered looking leaves growing right next to lovely thriving lettuces and greens.
    It's annoying.
  5. spinknottle

spinknottle Active Member

I'm not sure why your swiss chard won't grow. From what I've read, it's supposed to be one of the more "reliable" veggies to grow. I would do what cathleen said and check fro little jumping bugs.

If that's the case, you could "re try" your swiss chard in a window box, get it off the ground??
  6. MissNairne

I will have to set up a stake-out to see if they are leaf-miners. Whatever it is, they definitely killed most of our squashes. :vent:

So far I haven't noticed any flea beetles. Hmm. I will keep looking. If I don't see any, I will replant and fertilize and see if that helps.
  7. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

I don't know. Swiss chard is one of the few things I *can* grow, LOL.
  8. Tremor Christ

Tremor Christ Amity's Focus Member

Any clue why none of my herbs grew? I started them inside. Started taking them outside, in the container, every day. Only got a few cilantro sprouts, which eventually died.
    Catnip, anise, chamomile and something else, never even sprouted. :(
  9. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

old seeds? planted too deep?
  10. Tremor Christ

Tremor Christ Amity's Focus Member

Just bought the seeds this season from Lowes or Home Depot. I planted them in those little starter peat thingys. So not too deep. I did it just like the directions said. Some of the cilantro sprouted but then withered up like they were too dry even though they were wet.
    The other one was rosemary.
    :( Out of everything I planted I really wanted my herbs to grow.
  11. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

Chard I can do. Carrots fail me every time though. :hug:
  12. annethcz

annethcz New Member

Hee hee- the same thing happened to me this year! I've been such a slacker.
  13. mammakat

mammakat harpy

I have the problem with kale. Everyone else grows kale in great abundance. Mine get devoured by slugs, and I refuse to sacrifice BEER for KALE.

The chard next to it is doing okay though.

Now my corn!! Wow!
  14. MissNairne

Amen and halleluia sistah! :lol: