Why does it dothat to me?

Discussion in 'EFT, Emotional Freedom Technique' started by SweetnSour, Oct 22, 2008.

1. SweetnSour

SweetnSour Bringing Happy back :D

No matter how much I try, the tapping thing freaks me out.
    Like it literally accelerate my heart rate and makes me suffocate. It starts panic attacks and a feeling of claustrophobia.

Am I the only one?

I've been trying for 4 months now. every time I get the same result.

A friend of mine is "expert" and she can't figure out why my body responds like that.
  2. Rhea

Rhea Tickled by the view

I don't know why you are getting the physical response you are, but wanted to let you know that my body does respond. If I feel something is untruthful, I often times feel it in my chest. If it involves a past hurt by a family member, I often feel it in my heart area. If it is something I can't see for myself, I used to feel tension around my eyes. What I did was to tap more in that area - it just felt right. I'd take a deep breath, let it out, and then say whatever it was and tap again in the area where I felt tension. I'd do that until the tension subsided.

Not what you are facing, I know, just wanted you to know that it seems physical response does happen.

Some thoughts that popped up as I read your OP again. Is it possible a part of you is afraid of what you might uncover? Maybe try tapping on something like, "I'm going to do this as slowly as I want." "I'll only move forward when I'm comfortable doing so." "I won't face anything until I choose to face it."

Have you asked yourself why you have this response? If your answer seems to be blockage, like "I've no idea!" you can sometimes get past that by playing around.

Why is my body responding like this?

It's because I hit my foot when I was 12.

Why does my heart rate soar?

Obviously I'd rather be out learning to fly an airplane than doing this tapping thing.​

The idea is that you get into a playful fun mood without any pressure to uncover anything. And one of those times when you ask the question, you may find a memory pops up, or words that pertain to what's going on. Keep it light. Follow that thread if you feel like it, or just make a note of it and then go do something else.

Just some thoughts. Love for you! :heart:
    Rhea
  3. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

Editted. Taking that out. Sorry :hug:
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

Does it happen when you simply tap and don't focus on anything?

Or do the panic attacks/HR increase and claustrophobia happen when you tap and focus on something specific?

Is it all the points or a certain point? The head point covers a lot of points...so you might want to skip that one.

I like Rhea's ideas on keeping safe, playful and light. I know from your posts over the years that you had a helluva child hood..and lots of **** happen in your life.
    Maybe it does not feel safe for you to face it all right now? Especially when you are feeling so stressed about your living /social situations.

Have you had a session with your EFT expert? Or are you doing it on your own?

There are a couple of other energy modalities I might recommend to you to try. They might be a bit gentler...
    One is new..
    The ETHOS Method
    and TAT has been around for quite a while.
    Welcome to TATLife - the home of Tapas Fleming and the Tapas Acupressure Technique

{{{HUGS}}} R. Sending you lots of love.
  5. Linda

P.S> if you want to talk to me on Skype..or on the phone, we can see if I can help and get you going:)
  6. Percy's Mom

Percy's Mom New Member

Sweet and Sour - I relate. When I first learned about EFT I would try and it would escalate the bad feeling - what ever it was. In fact, yesterday, after I made my list of early childhood memories with my father to try the Movie Technique on and I began tapping the most emotionally charged one - it got much worse. I couldn't get past the eye. I tried it over and over.

This is not unusual for me. I am no expert and would like to hear what those who are knowledgable have to say about this but what I have done in these cases is to tap - without words - just tap the series of tapping points until the overwhelming sensations began to subside. For some reason for me - just tapping actually helps. I have also found Kat's switchwords help. The ones that quickly bring peace for me are BE and OFF. I am just writing about what works for me and have no expertice to offer you but I put out my experience to be commented on by those who know.
  7. Deborah

Deborah New Member

Hi Sweet and Sour,

I completely can relate --- I'll get into that panicky state when there's a whole lot of gunk to release. If you haven't had the actual experience that tapping will work, it can be scary to keep going with it.

The one idea that comes to mind is to just use the karate chop points and the set-up language.

"Even though I get panicky and think I'm suffocating, I love and accept all parts of me including the parts that are scared and suffocating."

Just try that without going to any other points and see what you notice.

My instinct is that you'd do best with a very experienced practitioner in person. Someone who has seen other clients go through similar things who can hold the space for you.

I appreciate your trusting yourself and sharing.

Thanks mama!

Love,
    Deborah
  8. Linda

Thanks, Percy's mom and Deborah for your insight. In all the workshop training and in working with my clients I have never come across this. I do remember Deborah telling me she wasn't using the top of the head point as it was too much for her.
    That said I have worked with people on some serious trauma, and it has been gentle, maybe not painless, but most definitely gentle. Working on my own sexual abuse(that is my personal example of horrible trauma) has been very gentle and almost pain free. And I did all distance work or worked on my own for it. Although I wold have preferred in person work:)

Deborah has given some great advice.

Anne, you are perfect just the way you are. We are here for you if you want or need anything.
  9. Kat Miller

Kat Miller New Member

Hi SweetnSour,

Perhaps thymus thumping would be useful for you when
    you feel that way. The thymus is in the middle of your
    chest. Thump on it when you feel anxiety start
    and see if that helps to clear it.

Also:

SLOW is your Switchword for patience, and it
    does seem to slow the heartbeat down when you
    use it.

HO is your Switchword for relaxation, so perhaps
    it would be useful in that situation as well.

BLUFF is your Switchword for dispelling fear, so
    it may be helpful in this situation as well.

COVER is your Switchword for nervousness and
    anxiety, and it may also be of use to you.

Another thought is that it is important to be well
    hydrated when you do energy healing work. You
    need to have the water in your system to allow
    the toxins you are releasing as you tap to flow
    out of your body. If you are not drinking water
    before, during AND after your tapping session,
    doing that in and of itself may make a huge
    difference.

And I agree that BE repeated over and over
    can really be calming and may be by itself a
    wonderful help in clearing this problem for you.

Kat