why does elastic 'give out' ?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by cathleenc, Aug 18, 2003.

1. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

Hi, I'd love to have everyone's feedback on diaper elastic and longevity. I had 3 pair of night dipes wahm made for ds about 9 months ago - they are now as flat as a pancake, no elasticity left in the elastic. Never bleached, no oxygen cleaners, maybe saw vinegar once or twice - total. Why would the elastic give out? I am at a loss. Also have a bunch of wahm dipes that I bought used, some have elasticity left and some are flat pancakes.....

thanks in advance! Cathy
  2. I think it just breaks down and wears out. Look for products made with Lastin elastic. Especially for dipes. Elastic is suseptable to urine. It turns to ammonia and really breaks down the rubber. Lastin is made for swimsuits (ie. cholrine environments) and holds up well in dipes.
  3. Mama2miracles

Mama2miracles Active Member

The dryer heat will also kill elastic if you use the dryer. It'll last a lot longer if you line dry.
  4. mehndi mama

mehndi mama t-shirt slashing madwoman

Sometimes the elastic will slip out of the stitching that anchors it to the diapers, too - I especially have this problem with sewing Lastin! The ends of the elastic rip out of the anchor stitching, and slip right through the channel made by the zigzag stitching, because the elastic bunched up when stretched, so the needle went right over it rather than through it.

Also, some elastic is better than other kinds. Swimwear elastic is designed to withstand extreme conditions - chlorine, constant stress, and what have you. Cheaper elastics are apt to rot - the rubber in it just goes bad & breaks apart.
  5. Mamaste

Mamaste Guest

I have this problem too on some covers. I never wash them in hot or put them through the dryer, but the elastic eventually pops! It's become obvious to me over time that age just does the elastic in. :(

Just one more reason to love prefolds and wool soakers. :D