Why are my dipes so stained and what can I do?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Breila, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Breila

Breila New Member

Connor is still ebf. I haven't changed the way I wash at all. Yet suddenly my MOE inserts are horribly stained and the fleece on my pocket dipes are starting to pick up some staining. My Hemparoos still only have light staining. It wouldn't normally bother me, but I have quite a bit of money invested in these dipes and am counting on their good resale value.

I wash one full cycle on cold with baking soda, then a hot cycle with Cheer free and clear. We have well water. I usually damp dry them in the dryer, then hang them in the bathroom to finish drying. I don't have a clothes line outside.

I do have Sportwash, but haven't used it yet as I am not having odor issues.

Ideas??? Help me!
  2. ReeseMomma

ReeseMomma Bah-Humbug!

Try laying them out in the sun. :)
  3. bellee

bellee ugh

It's diaper delima day huh? LOL

I second the sun for stains. I started ahnging my dipes a few months ago and they're stain free for the most part :) Could you rig up a clothsline for a day, just some twine or something, them just drape them over it and flip after an hour or so? Or do you have a deck railing or fence maybe?
  4. Cloth4Colin

Cloth4Colin Member

Hi Mama! I think over time inserts & certain fibers show stains worse...like the little light stains begin to show more the more they are used. I would definitely suggest sunning. We have had great success with BF stains by laying the dipe, clothing, etc. outside in direct sunlight after it has been washed...don't know why, but I seem to get better results when it is put out there wet (not wringing wet, but as wet as it is straight from the washer after going through the spin cycle).

Also, we've had some stains lighten or disappear over washing and time. I hope that some of this will work for you! I know how important resaling dipes is...best wishes!!

(p.s. I've used vinegar and borax in my cycles too some...they seem to help lighten the staining - making sunning them out even easier.)
  5. ~Bethany~

~Bethany~ Live and let live

Yeah that!