whoa, has anyone else seen these flushable diapers?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by joyfuljourneys, Oct 20, 2005.

1. joyfuljourneys

joyfuljourneys seeking myself

Interesting,,if I wasn't done with diapers, I would consider using these when out and about,,anyone else have thoughts?

I like that you can use your cloth diapers inside the special covers...

http://www.gdiapers.com
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  2. crissy

crissy Active Member

interesting. very very interesting. my only concern is it says it contains superabsorber, and I don't know if I would want to put that on my baby's bottom.
  3. joyfuljourneys

I know,,did you read the FAQ section? they sort of addressed it...and they really encourage composting with the liners, which I found interesting.
  4. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

Where is the FAQ section? I can't find it.

I think those look kind of cool! But would we have to keep that swisher stick with us when we go out?
  5. joyfuljourneys

click on the "getting started" block on the opening page, and then you will find the FAQ's..

I am just intrigued, I had gotten a brochure about it in my Midwifery Today holiday mailing, and want somone I know IRL to try these so I can hear how it is! LOL!
  6. Stargazer441

Stargazer441 Searching

wow those are interesting.... not sure what i think yet. lol
  7. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

Okay that is interesting. I have to say. But, wow, it is expensive. $14 for 44 small diapers? Ouch. And you still have the cover issue of having to totes those around with you. And honestly, that looks like a lot of work. And second honestly, I have seen a lot of toilets I wouldn't dare try to flush those down, so I would end up tossing them anyhow.
  8. joyfuljourneys

That was my thought, I know we have root trouble at home,,so I probably couldn't flush at home..but I wouldn't anyway because I would stick with cloth.

They are pricey too..but think like a package every few months for those odd times the baby stays an evening at grandma's (My family was all terrified of cloth, but they would probably feel the same about these too..), or if you went on a vacation. I remember toting a ton of diapers and toting home a ton of dirty ones the week I went to Yellostone with my kids,,,youngest in cloth. Huge pain,,not that I could flush them in Yellowstone..

I am conflicted, but intrigued..
  9. tamccrackine

tamccrackine New Member

that would be really interesting... my only reservations are:
    1) they cost either the same or more than disposables
    2) that stuff that you dump into the toilet... what exactly is it? "fluff" doesn't really describe much.
    3) it doesn't look like you can interchange covers... you'd have to use the ones they provide.
    4) why do you have to swirl anything if it's compostable?

I don't know... maybe I'm just being cynical about it and now that I got the hang of CDing I'm just being stubborn about something new that I know I'd want to try. :)

Ok... I'm just having a bad day, I'll get off here. BUT.... I think this is very interesting and worth looking into it further.
  10. branwyn

branwyn fasting and cleansing

email me if you want to stay in touch - madhousema
    darn i want to buy a starter kit, dont these people realize its already fall? put 'em on the market already! lol
  11. ReeseMomma

ReeseMomma Bah-Humbug!

For me part of the attraction of using cloth diapers (and other re-usable products) is that it reduces the amount of diapers that have to be produced (and purchased). So this product doesn't really help in that area. You're still throwing something away and having to buy more of it. kwim? Plus, there are still chemicals in them, right?
  12. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

we use cloth, and this certainly wouldn't make me switch. But I see the appeal for when we're out of the house. One pack would last us a long time. hmmmm....
  13. rjeast

rjeast New Member

I would like to try these, I am with you Bran...its fall already :)

They intrigue me because you dont have to toss them. So there is no waste in the landfill from these. I have become really lazy with cloth and we have been using sposies most of the time now. I would definitely give these a shot though even though the cost is more.
  14. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

If I had kids still in diapers (hard to believe no more diapers here!) I would try it. The thing that got me was...

hmmm...

poop and pee in the TOILET! lol Makes a lot of sense.

The 'fluff' is probably similar to toilet paper that has been 'fluffed' and pressed to fit into the diaper form. The stir stik thingy would just break it up so it wouldn't be like putting a roll of toilet paper down the comode at once. (hmmm, I have a couple of kids who've done that recently)

I would think you could just put the liners in any fitting diaper cover. We always used Diaperaps... and I bet they would work really well with that type of cover.

I need another baby now so I can try those out! lol And cool colors!!!
  15. skyclomom

skyclomom New Member

Do you think they would be okay with a septiic tank? It didn't really say.
  16. mamabuzzybee

mamabuzzybee New Member

So the "SAP" that is used to absorb the liquid is "super absorber poly-acrylate" gel? Interesting (cynic that I am) that they use the word "SAP" everywhere on the website--it seems like such a natural word. Hmph. Smart marketing, that's all I have to say.
  17. tamccrackine

tamccrackine New Member

It might work as long as you used RidX once in awhile... I would think.

I'm still interested... especially when I head to the inlaws for Christmas and I know they'd throw a fit if I used their washing machine to wash diapers. I guess I could always head to the local laundrymat eh? :)

18. I'm not even sure about the chemicals but the materiels to produce them would really add up. With a cloth reusable diaper that is not much of a concern. Then I wonder about what is worse for our environment, the making of these or the cleaning of cloth?
    Jen