Which is the most thrifty and simplified solution?

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by justthemama, Feb 2, 2009.

1. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

I have an HE washer/dryer set...about 5-6 years old and I'm so over it for many reasons. The biggest being that I want something more space-saving so I have room for a countertop (for folding...I MISS being able to fold on the tops of the machines!) and a bar (for hanging) in the laundry room.

Soooo....I'm considering one of two things. Stack my current machines or buy a new stacked unit. Which is the best choice?

1) Stack my current set.

Cons:

a) This creates an issue with the washer opening being way too low for me to use comfortably but I could have the kids help.

b) I've found my clothes just don't seem to get as clean and stains don't come out as well as when I use a toploader

Pros:

a) This costs nothing or close to nothing (I might have to buy hardware to do it)

2) Buy a stacked unit.

Pros:

a) I'd have a top-loading washer which I prefer for cleaning and is easier for me to get into

b) the dryer (on top) has a telescoping hanging bar so I wouldn't have to install a permanent one

c) it's a smaller washer, well-suited to the size loads I prefer

Cons:

a) It'd be around $1000 after tax, less whatever I could get for my current set, which would be a LOT less than we paid. We paid about $2200....I'd probably be hard-pressed to get $500, I'd think.

b) I might use more water overall.

Which makes more sense? I have other things I can sell to raise the $$ needed for the new unit if I go that way. But I normally feel like making what I have work is the best choice, even if it's less than ideal. So I'm torn.
  2. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Do you pay for water and is it expensive?

They also have pedestals to raise the whole unit so that the washer opening isn't as low.

If your current set works, I'd stick with it. I am loathe to get rid of any appliance that's working. However, I did recently sell a still-working fridge and replace it with one that is bigger and functions better for us, and I don't regret it! But it was more like 12 years old. I would honestly not spend the money just to have a differently-configured wash setup. Also, I have heard not-so-great things about the quality/cleaning ability of the stacked units. Plus, toploading machines had to be redesigned in 2007 (?) to be more water saving, so they no longer clean as well as they used to. (We bought our set in 2007 and I read up on it. We ended up with a Fisher-Paykel Eco Intuitive Washer that is a toploader that's efficient on water but can also be run in "traditional" toploader mode with more water.)
  3. herc

herc Amity's Focus Member

don't buy a stackable-- I have one that is about 7 yrs old and was a higher end one when we bought it . What you have is a much better and bigger machine.
  4. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

I would stick with what you have until it dies.
  5. herc

herc Amity's Focus Member

btw I have had a hard time not buying a HE LOL. I really really need a larger machine that can handle like king sized bedding and the like, but I am trying to make myself stick to what we have now, and just do more laundry and go to the laundromat when I need to wash our quilts and comforters-- which is a pain when we have tummy bugs lemme tell ya
  6. xt

xt Active Member

Clear off one of your kitchen counters or the kitchen table completely so you can use that? Not buying anything would be the cheapest solution. Or take what you have off the pedestals and put the counter over them (you can buy the counter with the money you get from selling the pedestals?).

Do not fold on your bed like I do, or you'll keep having that darned laundry-waiting-to-be-folded surprise when you're ready to go to bed. :p
  7. tarablesue

tarablesue ~PeAce~

I fold on top of my machines( TOPLOADER ABOUT 7 YEARS OLD)....I have to clear it though and that usually means I have to put it aWAY;)

Id keep your set... add the bar( we're doing this this weekend) and just keep the top of your machines clear and still utalize that space.
  8. KimberMama

KimberMama Active Member

I'd keep what you have. You could take them off the pedestals and fold on top of them without stacking them. I don't have the pedestals (never have). Stacking them is another good option.

As for the not as clean clothes, I thought it was *supposed* to be the opposite way around; front loaders claim to get clothing cleaner. Do you have a lot of settings? I found that using the auto-soak feature and putting the load on "heavy" helps with my dirtier loads.

I don't know that I'd buy my current set up again as the loads take so long to wash, plus the machines are so much more expensive to purchase, but I won't ditch it until repairs are more expensive than replacement. Oh, and it is far harder to dye and full (felt) in the front loader.
  9. justthemama

I hadn't heard that--that's something I should read up on. That washer sounds great. FP is expeeeeensive, though, isn't it?

I do have pedestals, which is great but then in turn makes them too tall for folding. And if I stack them both on one pedestal the dryer opening and controls will be too high. *sigh*

We do pay for water. And it's already more than I want to pay. :lol:

We had one in an apartment about 15 years ago and it sucked. But I had one in a hotel room last week and I looooved it. It was brand new though. And I'm a nut who does tons of small loads. But yes, it certainly comes in handy with linens and barfing and poop! :lol:

That's how I feel typically.

This happens to me ALL THE TIME! It's hilarious and sucks at the same time. Dh hates being ready to finally relax into the bed (he works 12-14 hours a day) and finding it is really laundry mountain! I always forget!

Yeah, they're just too high to fold on. The tops are at my eye level. If I lose the pedestals then they are too low for me to get clothes in and out of. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. :lol:

You know, maybe I need a service call. I've been having a recent issue with fabric softener staining the mediums and darks. I've been using a Downy Ball for 2 years because the dispenser doesn't work right and the problem recently developed. A new ball didn't solve it. I've been thinking it's the water somehow but maybe it's the machine.

But all the stained clothes that I took on our trip last week came clean in one wash in the toploader in our suite!

And the toploader was soooo fast. I really am over the 80 minutes it takes to do a normal heavy wash.

Dyeing is another thing I miss.

hmmm.
  10. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

It wasn't expensive, no.
  11. Maiden Comfort

Maiden Comfort boobie juice maker

I was having issues with clothes getting clean after a bit in mine, and I had to take the front bottom panel off and clean out a filter underneath it. Took all of 15 minutes, and made a huge difference. Helped with that musty smell too.
  12. justthemama

L - Really, not expensive? Their dishwashers are. At least at Best Buy. I'm probably shopping the wrong stores. ;) I fell in love with a FP dishwasher years ago and my dh made me get the GE. :D

A - That's not a bad idea. I know dh cleaned some sort of trap that was causing us to have oversudsing but that was over a year ago and we never cleaned elsewhere.

Thanks!
  13. bubbles

bubbles New Member

I kinda feel like I should suck up any disadvantages of my HE washer for the water savings. I kinda feel it is my responsibility, but that is just me. I do love mine though. Hope you can find your laundry happiness :)
  14. waterlily

waterlily arrived

Thriftiest thing would be to work with what you have. Currently my laundry room is the downstairs bathroom off the kitchen. I fold on the kitchen table. I have a retractable clothesline above the machines for hanging things that I like to line dry in the winter. It's not ideal but it works.

The biggest lesson of thriftiness is that just because things aren't ideal or neat and tidy it doesn't justify spending. You just learn to live with an imperfect life.
  15. ThirtySomething

ThirtySomething About to burst

I agree.
  16. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

It was $700 I think? Nothing like the high end HEs like that cherry red LG Steamwasher thingie. ;) I've read their dishwashers suck, LOL. I also know another Amitymama has a FP washer and had a ton of problems w/it - I think the water pump? There is something that can be defective on them. So they're not perfect. But mine has always worked great (knock wood).

I did wait for my HE washer to die before I got it. ;) And that washer was a hand me down from a friend. This w/d set is the first I have ever bought new. I am hoping it lasts us a long long time.

Anyway, I agree...stick with what you have. :) Another idea is to post on craigslist that you are looking to TRADE your set for a stackable or whatever - see if you can do a straight-up trade with someone w/no money exchanged.
  17. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

It takes you 80 minutes to wash a load of clothes! That's insane! Our longest wash cycle, heavy duty, with extra rinsing, takes just under an hour.
  18. justthemama

$700 isn't bad Lauren. Certianly is much cheaper than some of those delicious HE machines. LOL

And you all are right about it not being thrifty to buy something in this situation.

And I found that the hardware to stack my current machines (to make space for a folding area) is only $16!

And I love the idea of a retratcable line for line-drying. That would be awesome. And I'm sure we can inexpensively put up a pole.

Now the complication to the whole deal is that I've found out my washer needs about $400-$450 in repairs. :( I so wish I'd taken the extended warranty the bazillions times they offered it to me.

So would you still repair the old machine? Or sell it as-is (needing repairs) and sell the dryer and get the $900 stacked set? I mean, it's still cheaper to fix the current machine but I have a feeling it will continue to need repairs. We once spent about $300 a few years ago, so if it needs a few hundred every few years, maybe it'd be smarter to replace and then add an warranty for the new machines when the 1 yr. warranty runs out? It's tempting because as I mentioned I'm over the front-loading washer.