Where you live, is gas $4 yet?

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by gypsimama, Apr 13, 2008.

1. gypsimama

gypsimama in a state of flow

I'm in northeast VT and the local store/gas station just announced that they got a letter from the state asking them to check their pumps to make sure they go to $4.oo per gallon. They're estimating by the beginning of summer it'll be $4 a gallon here. :wah:

I can remember when gas was .99 cents per gallon. :lol:

Living rurally is much tougher when gas goes so high. It takes at least 30 min to get anywhere and most people here commute off the islands to work in Burlington.

These prices are hurting so many families.:eyes: It makes my stomach ache just thinking about it.
  2. Claire Berry

Claire Berry New Member

gas is still under 3.15 here... and i hope it stays that way. or goes down! (yeah right?!)
  3. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

oh boy! not $4 here yet...we are in georgia. we moved in town this past year so we can walk to several places or have a very short drive. i am so gratefuly...it's tough when you have a commute. i can't imagine if i were still commuting to work.
  4. gypsimama

I tried to edit, but I couldn't.

I live in northwest VT, not northeast. :lol: Guess I was dreaming of living over by Lauren.;)
  5. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    i expect it to go there or higher by summer.

i'm a skeptic though...i know the prices went up when katrina hit and the pipelines suffered...they didn't go up this high though. eventually they went down some, but not to where they had been.

oil companies are posting record-breaking profits for the last 3 years. not coincidentally, imo, during the same time frame since katrina and the initial raise in price.

not a popular opinion, but the current administration has definite ties to big oil (american and saudi)...it is my *skeptical* opinion that the prices will lower somewhat once the administration changes. i know that everyone says the president isn't responsible for most of what goes wrong in government yet gets blamed for it all...but the big oil ties, profits and payments are proven. i believe (and i don't think anyone can convince me otherwise) that we're being milked for all they can get until he's out of office...because it directly benefits him and his family, immediate and extended.

so...because of the oil ties and record profits...and how that all ties to the food prices and everything else in our country that is through the roof $$ lately, i think we'll see a downturn in prices next year. i really, honestly do. maybe not all the way down...but i think we'll see some relief.

i hope i'm not wrong. i'm one of many just holding on for january...
  6. branwyn

branwyn fasting and cleansing

email me if you want to stay in touch - madhousema
    no idea - we use alternative fuel wahoooooooooooooo
  7. PinkLotusMama

PinkLotusMama New Member

yup, its been $4 a gallon for at least a week now, well, $3.98. I live in No California.
  8. choleblack

choleblack Amity's Focus Member

Heck, I remember those kinds of prices. They were within my DAUGHTERS lifetime. That in itself freaks me out.

Oh well, here's to walking this summer!

Chole
  9. Megmama

Megmama Happy Happy Joy Joy

3.49 here today...ugh.
  10. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

It was $3.59 the other day here - but I've seen premium for $3.99.

We haven't really changed our gas usage here because what we do is necessary. I now pay for Peapod to deliver my groceries which is a bit more than I'd pay for gas but my time is worth something too - and my frustration level. LOL!! So I'm just about to place my order for Tuesday. The rest of our errands are usually grouped together and I try to take my daughter's car (a Honda Accord) rather than my minivan - unless I have the kids with me.

But it is what it is. Food is higher, gas is higher, we just have to make do with less.
  11. marjen

marjen Go!

Man, it is very high here - 1.13 per litre..and I have seen it much higher. In our town the prices go up every Tues and also before any long weekend. (and yet they insist there is no price gouging...!) We have two vehicles parked in our driveway - my dh's new job he has a work truck. We vow to drive our vehicles as little as possible. The weather is nice and we can walk most places.
  12. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

not yet $4/gallon here. i think it's about $3.29/gallon here now.
  13. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Last I saw it was 3.39 here a few days ago...and I gulped. (So maybe you should dream of living over here, Kaight!) I have seen as low as 3.25 or so in the bigger towns.

It is hitting hard here already though. So many people here have hour-long commutes to the bigger towns for work. :(
  14. brooken

brooken New Member

I think I paid 3.39 for it yesterday, in St. Louis.
  15. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

I have so been thinking I should buy a hybrid (getting a new camry next week but not the hybrid).
  16. Mamatoabunch

Mamatoabunch New Member

Cheapest 3.28. I remember moving to NM almost 10 years ago and it was .97. It costs over $90 to fill my van last time. We live rural and little places to walk in addition to big van needed to transport all my little ones safely. It has been hard.
  17. gypsimama

:agreed:
  18. mamabird

mamabird Guest

We're in San Francisco, CA... and it is very much $4. It cost me $45 to fill up my tiny Toyota Yaris. Yikes!

Lisa (mama to Rowan, 21 months)
  19. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

Hi, Lisa in San Fran! I'm in Oakland, and gas isn't quite that high yet--it's $3.89 at the station down the street from me (The lowest station I can find is normally 7-10 cents cheaper than that).
  20. branwyn

branwyn fasting and cleansing

email me if you want to stay in touch - madhousema
    or get a diesel :D