What's the absolute best resource for beginning knitters?

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by Lydiasmomma, Sep 26, 2003.

1. blazfglori

blazfglori ~Thing One~

Thanks for all the tips, Mamas!

I've bookmarked the knitting sites and the site with the books.

I've ordered Theresa's "learn to knit" and "wool ball" kits and am excited to get started.

I'll be hanging around here with you guys, so be prepared for lots of questions! :p
  2. weetzie

weetzie New Member

Except for buying the wool ball kit, I wanted to say the exact same thing as Lori!

(And Hi Lori--I swear I'm not just following you around ;) )

I did want to ask if anyone had experience with Wildewools, a seller on ebay? Are these good prices (i want some mohair)?

http://www.stores.ebay.com/wildeyarns

Thanks!
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2003
  3. blazfglori

blazfglori ~Thing One~

OT...

Hiya Rose! :waving:

Since we're the newbies here, we can be "learn to knit buddies"!:D
  4. Pridemom

Pridemom New Member

I'm also new to knitting

I am learning on my own with books, but have a neighbor who has offered to help me if I need it.

I just checked out Sally Melville's book The Knit Stitch, part of her series, "The Knitting Experience." I have to say it's a great book with lots of excellent photographs showing step by step processes. She covers different methods of casting on, how to fix problems, etc but it's spaced through the book so as not to bog you down with too much at once. I'm really enjoying it and plan to buy it. Her next book is on Purling.

The projects are excellent and I'm geared up to try a sweater.

Laura
    Newly returned OLD member of Amity's
  5. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

Welcome back-laura-

I just learned to knit-and I am doing really well..except when I make a mistake-I don't know how to unknit and fix it. I can easily tell when I've knit a wrong stitch, however. My wonderful friend who taught me. lives two hours away. Waah!

Thea-I'll check out the kids book you recommended that shows you how to unknit..

and maybe the nice ladies at the wool shops here can help me?

I can see how kniting would be very addicting. I love it!
    Linda
  6. mzbees

mzbees Puddy Mama

I have some of that Fisherman's Wool from Lion and played around with dyeing it, lots of fun with the kids!

I would start with cheapy acrilyc yarns and 8-9 needles.

I just found those turbo needles and they ROCK!

I too am trying to convice dh we need some alpaca's. I heard they are great for packing (dh hunts and hikes), but he said he'd die of embarrasment if anyone saw him leading two llamas. lol
  7. qtkitty

qtkitty Natural Lye Soap Maker

I so want alpacas .. first off cause they are Darn CUTE and sweet as can be! Then because of their fur.

However if you do not have the room for alpacas and still want an animal to get fibers from .. there are angora rabbits... not only do they take less room but they are also cheaper then apacas per animal.. and they breed like ... well rabbits *lol*

I so want Angora rabbits and Alpacas...

I didn't know they had electric spinners!?! So you dont have to pull and twist the fibers yourself? My grandmother has a spinning wheel .. although she doesn't use it anymore she used to when she was a kid though.

*whispers to yall * But also if you are wanting alpacas another way to talk your hubby into it could be to total up the cost of yarn for one year.. or even for a few years and then the cost of an alpaca... not to mention you could probubly sell some of the fibers.
  8. qtkitty

qtkitty Natural Lye Soap Maker

Ohh forgot .. expecially if you get a female and can find a stud or can order in sperm... you cound end up with a Herd in a few years with good luck.
  9. kkdmommy

kkdmommy married 2 house clone

Another site w/ good pics & instructions for the basics you (maybe just me) have to constantly look up (inc/dec, assembly, different castons & bindoffs, etc). Link directs you to the kitchener page cause that's what I needed today :D

Yarn at Wonderful Things
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2009
  10. ivycircle

ivycircle Spinner Extrodinaire!

I am a novice knitter (hats,socks,sweaters and a psp felted cozy nothing fancy) But an advanced spinner. I learned to knit with stitch and ***** (the book lol) It's in plain english and I dig the anedotes.... I personally prefer wool for the give, warmth and durability. My kids can't kill wool mittens! I also prefer bamboo needles for less slippage (of the stitches) and the warmth of them in my hand. It really depends on what you like. HTH, Angelique
  11. IBelieveInFae

IBelieveInFae New Member

Sadly many of these links are dead!
  12. iluvvla818

iluvvla818 New Member

Thanks for the links everyone. One day I want to tackle learning to knit. I can do basic crocheting but I wouldn't mind learning to knit as well.
  13. Candace

Candace Always a geek

Youtube!!! I kid you not. Just grab a simple patt (fingerless mitts (Maine Morning Mitts) were what got me going) and some wool superwash (instead of acrylic) and wooden needles. If you come to something you don't understand -- even if it's an abbreviation you can't decipher, just type it into YouTube. Jimmybeans Wool has done a lot of great ones, but there are lots of helpful knitters on there.

I think the Teach Yourself Visually books are good, too (there's a knitting one and a crocheting one) but Youtube is my best friend. ^_^ After the mitts I did socks and they were easy. :)
  14. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

joann's should have pattons 100% wool and possibly lion's fisherman wool. My dinky little joann's here has both those so I bet your's does also. :)
    And acrylic yarn is easy to wash!
  15. Candace

Candace Always a geek

Oh, I was assuming you had a yarn store nearby, too. Using wooly stuff made all the difference for me. At least for starting out. It's a lot easier to manage. But yeah, you should be able to get Paton's at Michael's or JoAnn's.
  16. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

oh whoa this is a really old thread and I didn't even realize until now, sorry!