What's happening to my fuzzi bunz? waking up wet every morning

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by tandemmama, Jun 3, 2004.

1. tandemmama

tandemmama I should be cleaning

Ok, maybe not *every* morning, but almost every morning and I can't find anything that I do differently on the nights she stays dry. I stuff with some contour dipes that a irl friend made with layers of terry, flannel, and cotton. They've worked beautifully (until recently?) and fit perfectly in the pocket. I was washing everything together, diapers, covers, wipes, fuzzi bunz, AIO's and then seperating everything after the wash, and just putting diapers and wipes in the dryer, hanging everything else up. About a week ago, I started seperating diapers/wipes from covers and everything else into two seperate pails and two seperate washes. It hasn't made a difference, but maybe the damage is already done? They've just stopped being waterproof basically.:confused:
  2. norasmama

norasmama Nigel's mama too!

*whew* I thought you were wearing the FB from your post title, lol. :joker:

Have you used Oxyclean in the wash? Oxyclean will break down PUL. I did it to two FB's and a Bummis. :mad:

Also, I have found that vinegar is hard on covers too. Not everyone believes this, but my nyklon covers started breaking down when I started using vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Hope you can figure it out. Leaky dipes are a PITA!
  3. JodiM

JodiM 35yo Catholic Mama to 5

Have you checked to see if they have a soap build up? That will make them leak every time.

The best way to do that is to do a regular wash and then do 2 hot rinses.. if the second rinse still has bubbles in it, you need to 'strip' your diapers.
  4. tandemmama

Thanks Jodi:thumbsup: I'll check that out!
  5. JodiM

JodiM 35yo Catholic Mama to 5

If you need directions on how to strip them, lmk.. I'm too lazy to type all that out if I don't have to! LOL
  6. spiritfreedom

spiritfreedom raunchy title instigator

It does seem to be that you have repelling fleece.
  7. norasmama

norasmama Nigel's mama too!

I am cofused. Are you FB's leaking out the sides? or is the waterproof layer wicking moisture through it? That makes a huge difference. If you are having wicking through the PUL layer, they are probably not fixable. If you are having side leakage problems, then you probably need to strip them. If you do a search here for "stripping diapers" you will find a few threads that will be helpful.
  8. SweetnSour

SweetnSour Bringing Happy back :D

If it is a breakdown of the pul, try drying them in the dryer on hot, somehow, it "re-sealed" the pul and it worked for me on two AIOs and one cover.

Vinegar does break down pul, as long as I used it I had leaking AIOs, since I stopped I never had a problem again.

It could also be that she is a heavier wetter than she was and that she might need an extra layer now at night in her FB. Vidura did that last year and suddenly started waking up soaking wet, I just added a layer.
    HTH.
    Ys,
    radhanuga
  9. tandemmama

Sometimes it's leaking out the sides, and sometimes it seems the whole thing has leaked through. I've never put vinegar in the wash/rinse. I'll try checking for soap buildup first and stripping if needed. Then I'll try putting them in dryer on hot. If that doesn't work, I guess they're not fixable? :wah:
  10. BunnyMcFluff

BunnyMcFluff 90% of everything is crap

How many do you have, mama? Perhaps a couple are fine and a couple aren't working so well, and that's why you're only having leaks on some nights?

What is your washing routine like?
  11. spiritfreedom

spiritfreedom raunchy title instigator

Try and find a product called RLR to fix the repelling fleece. If it's not that I think you can use Nikwax to fix the waterproofing capabilities.
  12. my2girlz

my2girlz Amity's Focus Member

How long have they been in use? I use ours every night with Saige. There is one or two that seem to have started leaking all the way through. I noticed the pul is a lot thinner than my other FB. It is like she pees straight through it. I've had these since Jan. 2003 though so they've had a lot of use.
  13. tandemmama

I've got 4. I might try marking them somehow and testing our your theory, Cami. My wash routine for diapers (and up until recently everything else) is:

cold rinse
    cold wash/rinse with little soap
    hot wash/cold rinse

Now I seperate the covers and fuzzi bunz and do:

cold rinse
    warm wash/cold rinse with little soap
    cold rinse

I've been using them for about 6 months now (and they were new when I got 'em)
  14. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

Another solution - and pretty easy to do - is to just put a pull-on wool cover over the whole darn fb each night. It should contain the leaks and absorb any fluids that get out of the fb. An easy fix! hth, Cathy