What's going on with my baby? re: Breastfeeding issues

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Chickapea, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Chickapea

Chickapea Guest

Griffin will be 4 months old in a few days. He has been a great nurser from the beginning. However, for the last week or so, he has been doing something that is driving me crazy. He mostly does it from bed time until his first morning nursing, but normally more when he's semi awake so for the bed time nurse and then the first nurse of the morning, though he does it sometimes at night and during the day, too.

What he does is latches on, takes a suck, latches off. Latches on, takes a suck, latches off. Rinse and repeat over and over again. He gets frustrated, I get frustrated. I've tried trying different sides and positions (thinking that he may have an ear infection or need an adjustment that may be preventing him from nursing well), but it hasn't seemed to make any difference. I'll try to guide his head sometimes to keep him latched, but he gets so aggravated and made at me. I don't *think* it's an issue of too much coming at once b/c I don't even think he gets much, with just one suck.

ANY clue what this could be?
  2. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Could he be teething? No real advice but I wanted to let you know that pic makes me want another one. He is SOOOO cute!
  3. Chickapea

Chickapea Guest

He may be. He's been drooling a ton, but my kids are very late to get teeth so I'm not sure. He wants to gnaw on everything, including us, our fingers, arms, any toy that we give him, etc. I wonder why he only does it on those specific times, though. Do ear aches normally come with teething, too? I don't remember, but I know that can effect how they nurse.
  4. 4sweetblessings

4sweetblessings New Member

Maybe he has a sore throat and every time he swallows it hurts? But he's hungry so he keeps trying?
  5. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

My boys would teeth for a while before they actually had teeth come in. Also if could be a sore throat or ear infection since both of those make it hurt to actually swallow. Sorry you and the little guy are suffering.
  6. Chickapea

Chickapea Guest

Oy, sore throat may be. I just took Jordan to the dr. today to rule out strep throat for him b/c it is going around school and the dr. did say that it's worse at night with this cold thing going around which would explain 1)why he's doing it then and 2)why he's been sleeping like crap all of a sudden. Hmm....thank you for bringing that up. I didn't even think about that!
  7. mom2tig99Nroo03

mom2tig99Nroo03 MamaBearishFireman'sFlame

another possibility is thrush, but htat would usually present w every latch, not just in the evening...
  8. BabyTheBaby

BabyTheBaby New Member

We practiced ec with my youngest and when she acted like this that meant she needs to go pee. Somehow the idea of nursing and peeing at the same time was way too overwhelming for her, so she tried to nurse, but that whouldn't relieve the discomfort of a full bladder so she kept going on and off, sometimes fussing and getting mad. I'd take her pee, and then the nursing session would continue perfectly well.
  9. Chickapea

Chickapea Guest

Thanks you all! :) It may indeed have just been a sore throat b/c he's back to his old self. At night, anyway. He's turned in to a total crank during the day. *sigh* I'll take it over night, though.
  10. thea

thea Active Member

My ec'd baby did this as well.
  11. Dishka

Dishka All outta sparkle

Nora is going to be 3 months in a few days and she's been doing this same thing. But when she pops off she screams. I sat her upright to nurse also thinking it was an ear thing, but she still cried. Eventually she'd give in or whatever was hurting would stop and she'd latch and nurse just fine.

I'm wondering if my supply is dwindling or my let down is slowing. I think my supply is ok. She's gaining just fine. I don't know what to do for her when she's a sad nurser :(
  12. AlexisDoraMia

AlexisDoraMia New Member

I would put my money on either stuffy nose or sore throat.

Teething would make him cry when he would try to latch on and the gums would be tender and he would be more fussy.. I think..

with ear infection repositioning would help to decrease preassure so you would see the difference right htere.. I tink

but if it is a stuffy nose then he might be doing this game to catch a breath
    also the same idea with sore throat.. he would feel some pain during swallowing so he would take a break between them

yet if you ask me I am more for the stuffy nose or some nasal blockage because this seem like gasping for air carching breath thingy more then anything.

if your house got dry receantly due to some super cold weather and intense heating inside then this might be something I would look into. I always have my thermomether digitally displaying temperature and humidity at the same time so I know what is going on.. anytime the humidity goes under 33 % we will have problem so I just open the shower running for good few minutes to get to 33% and leave door open to the bedroom so the humid can get to the bedroom that solves the issue for the night totally. you might try that..
    beware of humidifiers they are more troubles then help.. mildew bild up shoots bacterias right into the air.. and cleaning is a nightmare. sonic ones are bad for kids hearing.. so showers are really best so it seem.. we don't need to do it often in our climate but few days during the winter is necessary.

lastly.. one thought.. your DS might have something in the temple of his mouth, if he latches he might be touching the sensitive area and it hurts him so he tries to relatch.. check if you can if you see any blisters inside of hte mouth..

it is just that they can get parts of the mouths sensitized at times especially when little and they are not yet toughen inside :)

oh joys of nursing..
  13. Mama2HoneyBears

Mama2HoneyBears Home, Home on the Range..

My 3 week old does that...i think she has figured out my milk will let down when she does this and she doesn't have to work as hard :lol: She eats well afterthe milk lets down
  14. mommyladd

mommyladd New Member

my 5 mo old is doing it

i took him to the dr and saw the lactation consultant while we were there are she said its teething. and who ever said the gums hurting with latch was teething-thats exactly what the lactation consultant said too. its hard during the night but during the day i just take ds off and get him interested in doing something else for a few minutes and then offer it to him again and it seems to work (most times)
  15. bluespruce

bluespruce New Member

Lily does this if she can't breath. I would try suctioning him before bed.
  16. Lee W

Lee W New Member

I think sometimes they just play with the Mommy and see what happens when trying different things. It's usually a phase and they get right back on their skill levels soon. Mostly--just relax "this too shall pass."
  17. soonsoonsoon

soonsoonsoon New Member

I think he might be teething.
  18. soonsoonsoon

soonsoonsoon New Member

Your girls are very cute my youngest girl is too alike yours.