Whatch Workin' On?

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by choleblack, Dec 30, 2010.

1. choleblack

choleblack Amity's Focus Member

So now that the holidays are over, what is everyone working on?

I started an "event" amongst my historic sewing friends called "Costume Creation Month". It's like National Novel Writing Month, only for historic sewing. It runs from Dec 18-Jan 18, so we're in the "thick" right now.

This was project #1 for me. A ~1760 era linen gown for a friend.

This was actually a birthday present surprise from me & her sister. K has this old green dress that T is *always* trying to steal. So we plotted & made T one for her birthday tomorrow. I even had to call it someone elses gown JIC she saw it on facebook!

I used my standard pattern & measurements from her sisters gown. This is sewn with a combination of machine for the internal seams (which made sewing go much faster) and hand sewing for the visible parts. It's a lovely soft green, not as sickly as the photo makes it look. The linen is really soft too. I interlined the body with heavier white linen & there are channels for reed boning if T decides she wants it to be more "stiff".

[​IMG]

I don't have a good camera at the moment so this crummy photo of the back will have to do. It didn't really fit on my duct tape dummy so I only took a back view where it looks nice. I didn't hem it before sending it to her. I will do that when I see her in Feb and she's wearing it so that the length is just right.

I'm really nervous about this fitting. It's so hard to sew for people that aren't there for fittings & from exsisting clothes measurements. We were trying to keep this a secret so I couldn't get her body measurements either. :prayers: that it fits perfectly!

Next up is a quick 1940s skirt for myself to wear to the swing dance tonight, repairs to my 1940s winter coat & then... I'll have to see!

Chole
  2. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

more dolls. always dolls. for some reason I have a stack of custom orders for Christmas dolls. I'm kinda burnt out on Christmas dolls. I just sewed an elf lol.
  3. choleblack

choleblack Amity's Focus Member

Yeah, the gown arrived & fits perfectly. So relieved!
  4. dalaimama

dalaimama mama lama

I'm pecking away at new spring clothes for the three littlest. still trying to get used to sewing for FL weather. When we lived in OH, the kids would generally wear clothes through spring and summer, and then they'd be donated or put away to hand down. Now they can pretty much wear the same clothes all year round, but i get sick of looking at them, or they actually (gasp!) get worn out. So, some new dresses/tops and capris for G, skinny jeans for Fin... he has decided that he only likes black jeans, and has worn holes in the knees of the two pairs he owns. I'm hoping that if I make him some "cool" pants, he'll branch out a bit. Shorts and shirts for baby Duncan -- he's growing faster than I can sew, at this point. Nothing for Mylo right now. He wears a uniform to school, and has plenty of clothes otherwise.
  5. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

I am still making those rice bag things to put away for gifts. And coasters. lol

I did make an embroidered coin-type purse for my MIL. I also recovered an ottoman in our living room.
  6. Tremor Christ

Tremor Christ Amity's Focus Member

I'm working on my sewing room. I haven't really sewn much in the past few months. When our cat had kittens they drug a bunch of fabric off my shelves and ruined it! :/
    Anyway I've been cleaning, sorting, rearranging.
    Found a few patterns I want to try out. I STILL need to figure out how to get the waistbands on 2 Enwrapture skirts that were too long for me. Or see how much someone would charge me to sew them back on. Silk does not like me.
  7. Redterra

Redterra Just me, doing my best

I'm working on making time to take my Brother to get it working properly. Then I'll make time to take my cabinet Kenmore in for major repairs. Then I'll make time to go pick up an old Singer from my aunt and maybe get it serviced as well. Then I'll put my sewing corner together properly and find something awesome to work on!

In crochet - I keep at least one custom hat order on my list - I'm finishing up one right now and I may have as many as 7 more on the way. I found a great cardigan pattern that I want to stitch up for myself so I'm kinda hoping the hat orders hold off.

Chole - I need to talk to you at some point about a project I have on my dream list. I want to hand-sew an American flag out of repurposed linen. I've googled some to try to answer some of the questions I have but haven't found answers. Like - were the stars sewn on one side and was the blue cut away so the stars would be seen from both sides or were stars sewn on both sides, etc. You are the only person I could think of who might possibly know a thing about that or where I could look for info.
  8. tisme

tisme ~follow your heart~

I was gifted 3 huge bags of yarn from some coworkers (I have 4 co-workers who are related) whos nana passed away. Im knitting each of them a scarf with her yarn. I'm almost done the first one.
  9. Tremor Christ

Tremor Christ Amity's Focus Member

That is soo neat!!!! Go Emily!!!!!