what to use to prevent wicking?!

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by bluebird, Feb 16, 2005.

1. bluebird

bluebird New Member

Hi! I'm trying to make my own cloth diapers to help save some money. I was going to try making the HoneyBoys but it turns out that they don't sell Malden Mills fleece where I live. It's apparently extremely difficult to find in Canada at all. So that leaves me with having to use diaper vinyl (I think that's PUL). I'm not sure yet if I'm just going to use the PUL as the outside layer or if I'm going to sandwich it inside the diaper layers so I can put a softer and prettier fabric on the outside. But, my question is what to do for the inside layer. I've been using Kushies AIOs on my nearly 3 month old daughter and I find that they wick almost every time! I have to change her onesies with almost every diaper change. I notice a lot of diapers out there are lined with microfleece. Is that because it helps prevent wicking?

Does anyone have any advice on what I can use???

Thank you!!!
    Lynn Hansen
  2. singlemomto3

singlemomto3 New Member

i think flannel would work also.. maybe someone who owns a sewing machine would have a better idea.. but my friend made some mama pads and put flannel inside then the pul which here the closest is called suplex or ultrex then flannel on the outside... have fun.. i wish i knew how to sew...
  3. anikasmama

anikasmama Toot Sweet!

The best way to prevent wicking is to change frequently.

As for construction of the diaper, I have found that if you use a non-waterproof layer on the outside (especially if it is cotton or other absorbent fabric) you are more likely to have wicking. Wicking can happen more often too if you don't have enough absorbancy inside the dipe. Have you tried adding a doubler?

Microfleece is used as an inner because it wicks moisture away from baby keeping little bums dry.

One of the cheapest ways you can make your own dipes (and what I do) is to buy some prefolds, cut them to shape and size, cut a piece of PUL the same, sew all around the outside edge wrong sides together leaving a few inch opening along the back or front, zigzag elastic where you want it along the legs, turn, topstitch, add closures and you are done. Total cost is about $2.00/dipe.

You might want to try posting in the sewing forum too for more advice.

hth
  4. bluebird

bluebird New Member

Thanx for the advice ladies! I went on a fabric shopping spree today! I decided to use microfleece on the insides of some of my diapers and velour on others. And yes, I'm going to make some doublers out of the microfleece as well to make my dipes even more absorbant. I bought some stretch knit terry for the soaker, which I'll sew to a hidden layer of diaper flannel. And for the outside, I bought some nice interlocks and jerseys. I'll let you know how they turn out! I still need to get some wool to make covers; they didn't have wool jersey at the store I was at today. I hope I can find some. Wool covers are so expensive to buy! And I can't find this infamous 2 mil PUL I keep reading about. I've found plain ole white diaper vinyl, but I'm not sure that's the same thing.
  5. anikasmama

anikasmama Toot Sweet!

Microfleece makes a great liner or the top to a doubler, but on it's own it has no absorbancy value. For the soakers and doublers you will probably want to use something that is all or mostly cotton or a cotton/hemp blend (after washed many times hemp is VERY absorbant), or some people have found microfiber toweling to have great absorbancy too (I can't stand how it feels).

For wool jersey, most regular fabric stores like Jo-Ann's and Hancock's don't carry it. You can watch in the sewing forum for a mama that may be cleaning out her stash. Erin/ekortering has some for sale right now at a good price HERE. With wool it is recommended to pre-shrink it (some shrinks A LOT and some doesn't shrink much at all) and with wool jersey you would probably want to make it two layers.

You can also comb your local thrift shops for wool sweaters and make bum sweaters LIKE HERE or longies LIKE HERE.

As for 2mil PUL, here are two coops that have it regularly at wholesale prices:

Sewing Supply Coop (Sherrie/playpenlady here at Amity's runs it - awesome mama)

and

Comfy Creations Coop(Vicky is not a mama here as far as I know, but is wonderful to work with also)

Maybe more information than you wanted, but I hope it gives you some places to start. :)

Good luck!

~Becky