what to do with dead diapers

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by J3, Jul 1, 2003.

?

what to do with ugly but functional diapers

1. offer them free for shipping

25 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. offer them to someone to recondition them

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. donate to goodwill so fibers can be recycled

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. answer not listed here (please explain)

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. J3

J3 Deadhead mama of girls

Which should I do with holey, stained, elastic shot diapers? (still functional just ug-lee!)
  2. _Gentle_Spirit_

_Gentle_Spirit_ In love with the Son

I would like to know too.

Elizabeth is almost potty learned and most of her diapers are usable but not to nice looking:( Our hard water has stained them and, I guess, from washing every day, have holes in them...
  3. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Pencils down :(

You might not know this, but Goodwill tosses out anything that's ripped, stained or in generally poor condition.
  4. twirlymama

twirlymama shoppin' & shoppin'

one option....

i'm always collecting dipes exactly like that to send to orphanages in India & Romania thru an agency in Kansas that we nearly used (when we were pursuing an India adoption) called Special Additions. I send them useable but not pretty dipes & they gradually take them over to the needy orphanages as they can. I've seen other posts re same idea for orphanages in Haiti - not sure who that is tho.
    so, if anyone wants to do that, just lmk & i'll send you my address ~ i offer to help w/shpg if necessary.

warmly,
  5. SweetnSour

SweetnSour Bringing Happy back :D

I fix them...

if the elastics are dead I replace them, if they have holes, I cut them open and get the inside part to make doublers or soakers, I just sent a big box of "fixed-by-me" diapers to a Mama in need :)

I don't consider stained diapers "dead"...

I recycle everything, hehe.

Look at my sig pic, Vidura wears a recycled sweater on his butt ;)

Ys,
    Anne

PS. if you have any usable but ugly diapers that would fit a 15 pounder (size Medium I guess), I have a friend in need here that would be happy to have them!
  6. boyfactory

boyfactory Put down that stick..now!

This has come up here in the past. Not all Goodwill stores/donation points trash stuff with holes or stain. Ours send them instead to a place I affectionately call the "digout". There are large bins and tables full of stuff. Most stuff is priced per pound, not per item. What doesn't sell there after some time is then "ragged out", put in bundles and sold to 3rd world countries as rags.
  7. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

Our old Goodwill didn't. They waited until they had a lot of stained or holey stuff and then put them in boxes (the boxes weighed like 5lbs) and I'm thinking it was once a month put them out on sale. Maybe the first Sunday or something like that?? You weren't allowed to open the boxes, but they did have them.
    Our St Vincet's does the same thing, but all you have to do is ask theh lady in charge of linens and she goes in back and grabs you a bag, they're a dollar. Some of thier 'rags' are nicer than my kitchen towels! :eek:
    So I'm thinking if I wanted to donate them for that purpose I'd ask before donating to make sure they're not going to go in the trash.

Jess
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  8. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Pencils down :(

That's good to know. I saw a news report about here in Sacramento, where they got TONS of just JUNK literally trash so they would just toss it.

Good to know it's not the story all around!
  9. Sunspark

Sunspark Member

Donate them to

An orphanage in a foreign third world country that desperately needs them:)
    Cheers, Carolyn
  10. BonaDea

BonaDea stopped by to fix a link

I answered "other" because if the elastic is shot they are bound for the trash with excitment. Why excitment? Because they got used lots vs a one use diaper. Shot elastic imo is not worth replacing ... for me.

Everything else I offer free for shipping OR share with local mamas who don't have quite the diaper collection that I do.
  11. mamaBlue

mamaBlue Pigget's Princess

If they're really skanky. I'd throw them away. Why? Because I believe that bad dipes in circulation do worse damage to CDing than throwing them away.

That said, if they're not THAT bad, i donate them to someone who was experienced with CDing that knew how used they were. You don't want a newbie buying old thrashed stuff, they might get turned off to cloth.
  12. thea

thea Active Member

I got most of mine 2nd hand to begin with, so some are already wearing out. I put them on the rag shelf in my linen closet and clean the house with them. My mom is still cleaning her house with diapers that my brother and I wore!

Thea
    mom to Louisa May 9-30-02