What percentage of homeschooling does your dh do with the kids ??

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by Maidenmyhome, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Maidenmyhome

Maidenmyhome New Member

Just wondering......
    Does he help with the planning, finding lessons and cool stuff to explore, teaching,experiments, just does what you leave out for him to do.
  2. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

0%

He prays for us and that's about all he does. He's busy though. Homeschooling is my job. Planting a new church is his. :)
  3. countrygal

countrygal Guest

zero here also. That is my job. He has a job. That is how we work.
  4. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

none.

Actually at the beginning of the year I purchased these little 15 minute CD overviews for each week of our lessons this year (Tapestry of Grace). I thought it would be great if he just listened for 15 minutes so that he had something to talk to the kids about with regard to what we were doing... he hasn't listened to any of them. I was sure he would.

However, if he is home and we are doing schoolwork - he will do a read aloud, or help with math. But - he would do that if the kids were in school (helping with homework), so I don't really count it as part of homeschooling.

He makes the money I use to purchase curriculum. I usually show him what I am looking at and let him know how much it is going to be $$ wise.
  5. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    dh said 5-10% lol ;)

i buy the curric, plan everything etc...

when he helps, it's usually sports related. we are in a HS ski club. the kids do get an hour lesson, but he takes over after the lesson. he also iceskates w/ them when we go to HS ice skating day.

he also will be the go to guy for math.. ohh me & math do NOT get along ~ lol.

it works for us :)
  6. snugbug

snugbug Watching my baby grow

He funds everything we do, sometimes goes on field trips with us and often reads to the kids from our book basket (library books that rotate based on what we are studying). Frequently my kids will memorize a verse or poem or do a particular writing assignment and he serves as our audience in moments like that.....also for piano 'performances'.

Sarah
  7. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

He makes the money so I can buy curriculum and stay home and teach them and for that I'm extremely grateful!
  8. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

I take care of it all, mostly. Not because he doesn't want to, but because I just do it all--I'm home during the day while he is working and it just makes sense for me to do it all. Now...there was a day where I went to work in the morning and dh had a day off, so he "did school" with Owen and that was cool. But for the most part, it's my job (by choice). :)
  9. Morgansma

Morgansma Active Member

nt
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  10. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

I do all of it. Even down to figuring out where the money comes from (I have worked at homeschool conferences to earn free curriculum).
    He will act as audience and if there is a major project that they want to do (like build a harmonograph ;) ), he's the man.
    Nothing though with the day to day work.
  11. sweet~potato

sweet~potato Active Member

Same as most other posters, he pays for whatever I want and works so we can afford for me to stay home.:)
  12. houdini

houdini New Member

(ex-dh)
    Zero. Zip. Nada. Nunca. Can you count complaining that they aren't learning anything?
  13. gabwife

gabwife New Member

Next to nothing and he's supposed to be my fallback if I go out of commission.He's not done the parent orientation. Nothing.He dosn't even know what DS is supposed to be doing. While I was in hospital DS was supposed to be doing work.We lost a week of work.DS is now failing.
  14. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

I have an older child who works mostly independently.The work for us is setting up schedules, helping when he doesn't understand something, and checking work. My husband does help. If spinner has a question about an assignment he comes to dh if it's math or history, me if it's anything else.
    We check his work at the end of each week to make sure he's reached his weekly schedule goals. Dh does that about half the time.
    We also give additional little research assignments here and there, we both do that equally.
    I pick his curriculum and extras with some input from spinner.
    I'd say all together I do about 60% of the parent work, sawyer does 40%

We both work outside the home.
  15. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

Financially? 100%
    Emotional Support for me? 100%
    Formally? 0%

My dh is always teaching them something though...he's really good at answering all those "out there" questions that we get about the universe and whatnot. He's great at integrating learning into regular conversation and he and my older son share a love of documentaries about history and science, so they often watch them together, discussing as they go.

I really wanted him to be formally involved in 1-2 subjects but he just isn't home enough since he works 14 hours a day.
  16. soonsoonsoon

soonsoonsoon New Member

well it goes to say all support financialy and in some cases emotionally but not at all with the homeschooling, thats our job :D
  17. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

At this point, dh does none of the actual homeschooling. I do think over time, and especially if/when he makes a career change requiring fewer hours, he will take on some of the homeschooling, at least a little bit.
  18. choleblack

choleblack Amity's Focus Member

It's 50-50 here. DD is unschooled though, so that I guess changes the percentage.

I can always count on SO coming up with something to do if I don't have any ideas. He's more of the "get out of the house" kind & will take DD places with him at least once a week. He's even going to be teaching a class for our homeschool group next month.

He wasn't this involved until after having taught in the local schools though. That experience really changed his commitment to homeschooling :D

Chole