What is your gazingus pin?

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by littlelemon, Oct 12, 2004.

1. littlelemon

littlelemon Active Member

Just out of curiosity-what is your "gazingus pin"?

In Your Money or Your Life, the authors define a gazingus pin as something you think you just have to have. Something that when you see it at the store you think, "I don't have it in that color", or "That looks just a little different than the other ones I have". The point being, that it is something that is very, very hard to resist buying, almost a guilty pleasure.

My dh has over 40 pairs of shoes. Shoes are his gazingus pin and I really don't know why! Especially dress shoes. Mind you, we do not go to church and he is a teacher, so he doesn't even need dress shoes really. He likes the thrift stores and when he sees a pair of dress shoes that are a good deal he cannot resist buying them. It drives me crazy to see him bring home yet another pair of dress shoes when he has so many in the closet that he rarely wears. He spends the evening cleaning and polishing them and then puts them in the study where he has built several shelves dedicated just for his shoes.

My gazingus pin is clothing for my kids. This includes fabric and patterns for me to make them clothing. The only remedy for this is to keep me out of the stores, and to not open emails from various fabric co-ops. It is very hard for me to turn away from something cute when it is on sale, even if my kids don't need it. The after-xmas sales are also really bad for me as it is a tradition for me to go shopping with my mom and sister after xmas and those sales KILL ME. It is practically the only time I go to the mall, but the consumerism just overtakes me. It is also really bad when dh and I go to the thrift store together and he comes out with a pair of shoes and I come out with clothes for the kids and neither of us can be talked out of our purchases. It's like we are totally different people when we in there!

Recording our spending has really helped us cut down on gazingus pin spending becuase both of us are looking in that book on a daily basis and we have to answer to one another more often.
  2. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Used to be fabric, but I FINALLY stopped buying.

I think it still is crafting stuff. I have to be really careful.

And books. I :heart: books.

The thrift store in general is a dangerous place for me. I seem to pick up more carp that I don't need, but yet seems so seductive when I am in there.
  3. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    You know what? I can honestly say that this time of being without has really cured our gazingus pins... lol... at least for now.

I know what it will be though, when Don gets a job. For the first little bit of this money trouble I was totally gung ho for kitchen stuff... we called the kitchen my weakness room. I would buy dishes that matched mine even if we had plenty. And with the kitchen remodel, I could easily see that becoming an issue again unless I have a spacific plan for what I need (and liberty to allow myself to get a few things I want so I don't kick myself.).

Don's? I think it will be shoes and glasses. That is what it was when he was a glass blower... but at the time he went through shoes like CRAZY (molten glass does crazy things to shoes... lol!) and the glasses (really good ones) were a necessity. (looking into that glory hole can kill your eye sight... and it can also damage your eyes. It is against the law NOT to wear sun glasses or some type of protective glasses in the glass shop.) Now his glasses have become his status symbol. He loves that he has the TOP of the line (cobalt Oakley Pennys, with titainum frames), and he will most likely have the top of the line every time we can afford them. lol... I have asked him to limit to one pair a year (at $300 a pop that does not seem that much to ask) and he said that was fine... but he is super excited about being able to get this next years best with his new job. :)

Love Val
  4. maryalene

maryalene Guest

5. Amber

Amber Just enjoying life

Mine is cake decorating items. I have lots of cake stands and just got a silver plateau for my birthday. I also have all sorts of specialty tools for fondant and gumpaste. Cake pans that are sqaure, hexagon, petal, oval etc. When I have the oppurtunity though I use them to make wedding cakes for friends and family. As little as I do it though I don't need and can't justify all I have but it sure makes me happy!! Plus I usually only get new things now if I need it for a cake I'm currently doing or it's a screaming deal.
  6. kandemama

kandemama New Member

I don't know if this really counts since I am not actually buying anything, but for me it is home ownership. I have been pretty obsessed with the idea for the last 3 years, wokring my but off trying to get raises at work etc. so I can buy something, but the housing market is climbing faster than my income. And I need 3 bedrooms because I have a son and daughter. I feel like I have failed them in a way because they share a bedroom in our 2 bedroom apartment and this is just about the best I can do for them in this area.

Crazy huh?
  7. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

Mine is fabric and it's terrible! Dh's is plants. We have a whole front porch filled with mums, rhodedendrons, azaleas and other plants that were on sale the other day when he went out. In the spring he can't go anywhere without buying at least one plant. At least we have beautiful gardens :p
  8. Maiden Comfort

Maiden Comfort boobie juice maker

I've got 2 0 but I'm am getting better at one. I am addicted to fabric. I have way too much of it, and I want more. My other is lennon stuff - but I have so much now, that I think I can clothe this baby the first 6 months in nothing but Lennon ;) So it's easier to resist (mostly because I already have what I see!)
  9. griffin

griffin New Member

books :wah:

i am loving YMOYL and i am in the middle of reading it.
  10. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    Definitely fabric

My addiction to it has gotten much worse since coming to Amity's and having my eyes opened to knits, sherpas, prr, etc...

I really need to stop the insanity of it all.
  11. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

children's books or crafty books....and crafty supplies.

and I cannot pass up quilts or cotton throw rugs that are on sale.
  12. griffin

griffin New Member

and just to drive home a point of my love for books...

i have a copy of "a first book of knitting for children" which i totally love.

danielle had this book for sale and i *contemplated* getting a second copy just in case i lost mine or bent mine :eek:

i was strong and resisted lol.
  13. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

well, hey, I owned it (and several other knitting books) and I don't knit well enough to even use it!

it's a good thing you live all the way in singapore! if you lived nearby I'd have a partner in crime. we'd have the clerks at the bookstore shakin' in their boots. :p

I used to take the kids to story time at the bookstore every week. Then dh realized I was spending over $100 a month on books from the sale table. LOL! I'm not allowed in the book store without a chaperone now.
  14. amelia

amelia Breeder

3 things

Yarn

Yarn

and oh yeah
    Yarn

I have a dresserful!
  15. Drake

Drake Guest

[Forum Game]Three word story

Im bored) lets play three word story =)

Three word story is a game in which a story is built by multiple people, who use three words each turn. It is a common favorite of forum gamers, since it is easy to explain and play in a linear, structured fashion. An example game goes as follows:
    * A fat man...
    * ... walked into a...
    * ... car and it...
    * ... was very painful...
    * ... but he jumped...
    * ... back up and...
    * ... dug a really...
    * ... small cave that...
    * ... had two red...
    * ... cats coming out...
    * ... from some smoke...
    * ... though a blue...
    * ... streak speeds by...
    * ... forcing twenty wayward ...
    * ... evidences of fright...

ok =)?
    Ill begin:

I opened the door...
  16. Chickapea

Chickapea Guest

Holy freaking bumping blast from the past, batman.