what is coming up in your food garden?

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by tara, Apr 21, 2010.

1. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

(I'm zone 6b.)

My radish and lettuce seeds (direct-sown outside last week) are poking up out of the dirt. The carrot seeds and garlic cloves I planted with them haven't made an appearance yet. The carrot seeds were old, though, so I have a plan B of some seeds on the way from Baker. Sam really wants home-grown carrots this year.

Inside (in tiny little pots) I have bean seeds germinating, both pole and bush. I planted those about 10 days ago, and they are just now starting to break through the dirt a little, but aren't all the way up.

Outside (in tiny little pots) I have more pole bean seeds, anise hyssop, and zinnias germinating. Nothing yet. But we have had some cooler nights lately (40s) so they may be hunkering down and waiting for a temps to come up a bit. I just don't have much indoor space to do seeds - my cats tend to destroy stuff like that so I only have one room/set of windows to work with that is cat-free.

This weekend is a big plant sale where I typically get my vegggie starts and herbs I'm not growing from seed. I also have an order of about 10 varieties of seed coming from Baker that I ordered last night: daikon radish, calendula and borage, some different carrots, and I can't remember what else! :)

Tara
  2. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

we're in zone 9a.

The only things ready go eat are radishes and herbs.

Cucumbers and tomoatoes are showing first teeny fruits.

Beans and peas are vining, but no fruits yet.

Lettuce and spinach are nearly ready. As are onions (white and red).

Cabbage is huge with big beautiful leaves, but no fruit at all.
  3. Chickapea

Chickapea Guest

We have so much growing, but the kids did not mark most of what they planted so I don't know what is what! :eek: I know we have the tiny starts of strawberries showing (woot!), a bunch of lettuce, carrot tops are poking up, beans, cabbages are starting to get bigger and broccoli or cauliflower is getting nubby (I don't remember which it is). We also bought a bunch of started plants and they are starting to get bigger and look more like what they are supposed to be. I'll try to take pics later. Maybe someone will know what is what! :lol:
  4. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

lol. Mystery garden!!

I have asparagus and it's not even in my garden, it's from my dad's and our other property. zone 4-5

I have a lot of sets under the lamp and they're looking good, so far. Melons, squashes, cucumbers and basil. Lots and lots of basil. tomatoes too.

we don't go through a lot of peppers so I buy one or two plants from the garden shop.
  5. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

(4b) watercress! we have several natural springs that feed into our pond - and the springs are thick with watercress. Violets - did you know both the leaves and the blossoms are edible and tasty? Put some in your salad! Lettuce that self-seeded from last year. Dandelions aplenty to eat. Not a sign of asparagus.... where did it go?! Seed table full of small started plants indoors.
  6. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

nothing ready to eat yet, well except some herbs.

We've got lots of stuff getting going though- peas, kale, swiss chard, cabbage are all going pretty well. Then we've got tomatoes, cucumbers, a pepper, cantalope getting going.

Oh, and tons and tons of sunflowers growing taller every day.
  7. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

garlic planted in the fall is a few inches high and herbs came back already.
    We've been eating lettuce and greens for a few weeks now from the cold frames.
    Nothing else is in the ground yet.
  8. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

I really wish i had remembered to do that too.
  9. littlelemon

littlelemon Active Member

Garlic, chives and asparagus is up (can't eat asparagus until next year though since I just planted it last year). Strawberries are blooming (early this year, as it has been very warm).

The snap peas are up about 3 inches, and my lettuce and spinach is up.

The only thing I can actually eat right now is the chives!
  10. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

In our annuals garden we've got:
    garlic
    shallots
    onions - red, yellow, walla walla
    leeks
    various lettuces
    spinach
    potatoes

only the greens can be harvested, but they are still pretty small

In our front perennial garden, the herbs are doing well and the strawberries and blueberries are blooming (blueberries bushes are still very small).

That's about it for now. It is still a bit cool here for the warm weather plants. I usually plant them in another month or so, depending on the weather this year!
  11. mammakat

mammakat harpy

A ton of peas. Corn. Kale. Chard, but I transplanted to early so I don't think they'll make it.

I traded some of my pea starts for tomatoes, so I should have them soon.

Much further behind than I wanted to be, but further ahead of last year, so I guess that's something!

I just started a bunch more stuff this weekend.

And can't wait to start my potatoes! Best thing I did last year.
  12. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

we started picking radishes a few days ago; some of our San Marzanos are ripening but 90% have blossom end rot. :(
  13. ian'smommaya

ian'smommaya Amity Teen

4a or b
    here lettuces, rhubarb, parsley, chinese veggies, are all coming up. at the other house we have strawberries and a whole ton of herbs planted that are going to be transplanted.

planted here but arent up yet, potatoes....and some other stuff from the previous people.
  14. freedomlover

freedomlover ReaderOfThreads

Nothing coming up yet, stuff coming down when done developing and ripening (apricots, figs and peaches starting on trees).

Later, I am planting lots of swiss chard (my family loves it) and some cucumbers and tomatoes.
  15. tara

How does chard do growing from seed? I've only grown it once, from starter plants (little 4" pots) bought at a roadside stand. It was FABULOUS that year - produced through November for me. I would love to grow it again but can't dependably find a source for starter plants...
  16. littlelemon

littlelemon Active Member

Tara, in my exprience, swiss chard grows great from seed!
  17. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Chard from seed = dead easy.

Nada here yet. I don't have a good indoor seed starting setup, I don't have cold frames, I don't have anything! I am really focused on getting our addition plans together and the paperwork to the bank etc. As soon as I can my plan is to build a few raised beds and cold frames and plant some greens (kale, chard, and lettuces).
  18. tara

Thanks for your feedback about the chard! I will pick up a pack of seeds and feel confident!