What is a secular lifestyle?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by marjen, May 14, 2010.

1. marjen

marjen Go!

What does this specifically mean? What does it mean to you? Do you live a secular lifestyle?
  2. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

I don't know what it means, but I'm interested in learning more.
  3. marjen

marjen Go!

Me too...I want to know what it means....
  4. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  5. marjen

marjen Go!

6. KRAU

KRAU New Member

what does a seculiar lifestyle mean to me.....

is anything not of God. i do not live a secular life i put God first in everything i do ALWAYS. God is first to me whether everyone is looking or no one is. i do not have cable, or listen to secular music.. music that doesn't uplift the name of the Lord. i dress modestly and cover myself up. to me if you proclaim to love Jesus than you should walk as he did. if i went to church on a sunday prayed for 2 minutes,than left put on some beyonce and had my chest hanging out than i wouldn't be any different than the world. a secular lifestyle is a wordly lifestyle, you act as the world and everything in it, not as the bible teaches us to.
  7. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

How did I miss this??

Well, to me, a secular lifestyle is a life not lived with God in view. I do not believe that things like listening to secular music or having a drink or watching TV is living a secular lifestyle. I listen to secular music but listen to only music that is not against my worldview of being a Christian. I'm not going to listen to music with trashy lyrics or anything like that but some is just fun music and it does not detract me from God. I can also have a drink of wine without being worldly but if my goal is to drink to get drunk to forget troubles or to keep up with someone or something like that, there's a bigger problem. Watching TV is fine if I'm not watching something that is trashy or what would pull my heart away from God and make me think of things that are not good as being good.

So for me, a secular lifestyle is living without thinking about God in what I do. I do consider all that I do to see if it's good or bad in light of Him. To me, that's a Biblical lifestyle as opposed to a secular lifestyle.

I hope that makes sense.
  8. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

Didn't read responses.

A secular lifestyle does not have G-d at the forefront. It is the antithesis of what we (my family) believe and how we live, I hope. Although we do touch the secular world - for example: I am here at Amity - and there are values expressed here that aren't meshing with my lifestyle choice (a religious one), but I can handle it.

In my kids' schools the day is divided into two: the secular half and the Judaic half. The secular half contains the regular subjects that kids get in school - math, reading, science, social studies, etc.

I would define secular as the opposite of religious.
  9. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

I don't really understand this question.
    I don't go to church but "secular lifestyle" is not a term that I identify with, personally.
    Secular, to me, means more than something being Godless or not. There can be secular parts of a religion, can't there?
    In the Roman Catholic Church, there were Secular Clergy. It didn't mean that they were irreligious at all.
    Secular clergy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    As a non-churchgoing person, I would never CALL myself or my lifestyle secular, so I guess it depends on the context of the question?
    Maybe "secular lifestyle" is a term that religious people use to refer to irreligious people?
  10. marjen

marjen Go!

In the link I posted above, a poster "Keith" says:

"Secularism is not a rejection of belief in God. Many people believe in a Supreme Being, a God who knows us and guides us every day but they are not attached to organised religion, some because they have serious doubts about the doctrine standard of morality and ethics of organised religions and the integrity of the hierarchy. Secularism does not wish to deny freedom of belief but it feels that this should be private and not funded by or supported by or part of the state and not speciality privileged in any way. Particularly Secularism is opposed to coercion of any kind in a religious ethos. Secularists ask what constitutes a religion and suggest that the minimum qualification is that the members have true belief and therefore secularists would argue that any ethos that involves coercion in recruitment or retention of members, or of modes of dress or coercion in following any practise of that ethos cannot qualify as a religion, (and should not qualify legally) because if there is coercion of any kind there cannot now be, or ever have been true belief."

This makes sense to me. Edited to add, that the definition makes sense. I am not saying I am a secularist. Though that may be true.
  11. ChantingMama

ChantingMama The Divine Miss M

I've never put any thought into it, so I can't even tell you what I feel is a secular lifestyle. :p

But, I have to say, I agree with Ann in what she says. I listen to mainstream music, and watch mainstream tv and movies, but I will not watch or listen to anything that promotes values that are against the path I am following, and lead me away.

I am not the greatest example of a perfect lover of the Lord, but I at least try not to head completely the other way. :)
  12. sewlittletime

sewlittletime New Member

To me secular means outside of church (society). I used to think secular was very seperate from the sacred and I felt I lived a dual life-church and the rest of my life. But then I came to realize that I am called to live out in the secular world in order to evangelize and I become holy through my life in the secular world-the way I live my faith out in the world.