what else should I put in?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Korwynne, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

I've got two beds that are 3x8.

One has: 6 tomatoes: super fantastic, bush early girl, willamette, bonney best, roma and arkansas traveler.. two rows of walla walla onions.. greek oregano, varigated oregano, purple sage, silver thyme, cinnamon basil, purple basil and spicy globe basil.

the other has: cilantro, lemon verbena, bell peppers (orange, yellow, red and green), a row of potatoes, pea, marigolds and a big blank area, about 1.5x2.
    it's behind where my peas are.

Then I've got 3 cedar half barrels - one has two tomatillo plants and a jalapeno, one has two tomatillos and some flower and the third has a sunflower and a pumpkin plant.

In pots, I've got a poinsetta that just won't die, a Meyer lemon baby tree, lemon balm, peppermint, chocolate mint, a "mortgage lifter" tomato and a "oregon spring" tomato.

The kids each have a bed - 2x3 - Josh's is just strawberries, with marigolds near it.. Lindsey has chamomile, lavender, marigolds and assorted flowers. Leila has a 'Mr. Stripy' tomato, peas, marigolds and various other flowers.

Aside from that, I've got 3 blueberries and 4 semi-dwarf fruit trees - a plum, a cherry, a 4-variety-apple and a 4-variety-pear. I'm about to pull out heather and put in some raspberries.

What am I missing? what should I put in my blank space in my garden? I'd love more strawberry plants and have a strawberry planter thingie.. and I want a rosemary in my yard somewhere.. but I'm not sure what else to put in. I'll eat spaghetti squash, but that doesn't seem to be available now - I'm guessing it's a fall/winter crop?
  2. Korwynne

I've got 3 blueberries, and will be getting raspberries from a friend. :) Blackberries are a weed here, and the greenbelt that backs up to our house is filled with them.. everyone in the 39 homes in the neighborhood can pick the ones that are in the public areas (the ones directly behind our home are just ours) and I ended up with 4 gallon bags full last year and didn't even pick as much as I could. I love, love, love berries. :) I figure next year I'll add a few more blueberries - I'd like to have at least 6.

Not too bad for a little lot, but I've got problems thinking it's enough when it comes to food production, kwim? I've got an extra fridge in the garage with the attached freezer, and then another upright freezer too, plus canning supplies - so storage really won't be an issue.

it just bugs me having the empty spot in my garden and not knowing what to put in...
  3. earthmama369

earthmama369 New Member

Some ideas that came to mind: Corn, quinoa, greens if you have any partly shady/cool spots (collards, swiss chard, kale, heat-resistant lettuce, mustard greens, bok choy), carrots, soup beans, amaranth, beets, turnips, cabbage, jalapenos. You could set up a vertical trellis and get watermelons, cantaloupes, cucumbers, and summer squash in a square foot gardening type space.
  4. Korwynne

ooh.. soup beans? tell me more?

I assumed that greens, turnips, cabbage and beets would be cooler weather crops... no? I didn't do melons or corn because our growing season is so short.. I don't know that they'd do well.

I'm in WA, so we're mid-70s now and probably won't have too many days in the 80s.. but my first frost day will be mid-sept.

I'm new to this whole gardening thing...
  5. Korwynne

I've got a big jalepeno.. hoping it will do well :)

I found a spaghetti squash today - it's the only kind of squash I like.. I stuck that in my blank space and added a small rosemary plant today, so no more blank space in the garden.

I'm going to need help with fall crops, I'm thinking!