What do you use to wash your cloth diapers?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by artemis33, Jan 30, 2006.

1. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

I use all cotton or hemp diapers (a combo of prefolds, fitteds and hemp pockets) and just a few poly fleece topped doublers -so mostly natural fibers. I've been washing them with biokleen liquid, seventh generation sensitive (no enzymes in that one) or planet detergent. I sometimes add baking soda to the wash and vinegar and/or tea tree oil to the rinse. Some of them are starting to smell a bit when my DD pees, so I think I am getting some buildup. I'm not sure if I've been using too much lately (maybe so because I got a little lazy and stopped measuring) or just the wrong detergent. I just bought some Ecos to use on our clothes, but I read that I definitely can't use this on the diapers. SOOOO...since I have to get something else for them anyway, I thought I'd see what you all use! Any ideas?? Oh -I wash daily or every other day.

Thanks so much! I'm really enjoying this board!
  2. momadance

momadance New Member

I usually use just a tad of All Free and Clear, but just this last load did a little bit of Baking Soda and am pleased with the results.
  3. SuperStar

SuperStar Guest

I use Charlie's Soap (laundry powder). I haven't had any stink issues. The package says it leaves no residue.
  4. glowwormmama

glowwormmama was notyetamama

I've heard when they start to stink, you may need to strip them to get the buildup out.
  5. Alkenny

Alkenny New Member

Sportwash or baking soda/vinegar. If they're stinking, I agree that they probably need stripped. Try washing in just hot water over and over until there's no suds. If your dipes don't have plastic snaps on them, you could even boil them.
  6. volvomom

volvomom New Member

When I used cloth diapers on my children

I liked to use Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds. It is a detergent that is supposed to biodegrade completely. I used 1-2 tablespoons ( 2 TBSP is 1 ounce) per load. It always rinsed clean.

Sincerely,
    Debra
  7. mamatanya

mamatanya the bead lady

Washing diapers taught me to use so much less soap. I'd wash without soap and then sun them if you can hang outside. I used several different detergents and soaps and it was more of a quantity issue. I never did use anything as simple as Dr. Bronners though.