what did you 'put up' today? (any day, starting today)

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by cathleenc, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

oh plum chutney. I have plums from the farmer's mkt in the fridge, neglected and muscled out by the freaking tomatoes. I must do something with them, this week, without delay.
  2. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

I'm scheduled to make a double batch of the chinese plum sauce in Joy of Pickling this afternoon.... that and another 16 qts of spaghetti sauce, dehydrate apples, who knows....

talk about feeling pressured. I've got maybe 50 lbs of apples, 90 lbs of pears, 50 lbs of plums, and 100+ lbs of tomatoes all sitting in baskets in the garage, staring at me everytime I walk through. My hands are raw, my back is tired. I keep thinking that by early November this will be all over!

Got virtually all the fruit for free - some apples are from a county park. The pears and most of the apples are from a business office nearby - I saw the trees heavily ladened and called and asked if I could have some - got carte blanche to pick/take 100%. The plums we bought - 50 lbs for $20! Those trees are still full of fruit, btw. Talk about feeling highly motivated to can & dehyrdrate & make juice - free, spray-free fruit!

I 'think' I've got maybe 24 qts of fruit sauce finished and in the basement already, mostly apple-pear. As soon as the tomato pressue lightens up I'm hoping to start some plum - apple sauce making.
  3. tisme

tisme ~follow your heart~

I've been loving this thread! I enjoy reading about what you all are putting up. And I finally get to add to it :D

I've been arm deep in pears for the last week.
    I did about 15 250ml jars cinnamon pear sauce.
    Also about 5 250ml and 20 125ml jars of pear ginger marmelade - for chirstmas gifts.
  4. froggygarden

froggygarden journeying

We had a bit of leftover chutney that wasn't quite enough to fill a jar that we had with dinner tonight and omgoodness, it was wonderful. Now, we have a ton of apples ready and I think I may can pie filling and try an apple chutney along with applesauce. We have another apple tree that is a late variety so there will be even more apples in another 6 weeks. It was definitely easier last Fall when I wasn't 30 weeks pregnant. lol
  5. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

what do you do with chutney?
  6. MissNairne

MissNairne All new, with added NAK!

I put chutney on curry, especially curried meats or tofu. Mmmmmm.

Not that I have any chutney right now. :lol:
  7. froggygarden

froggygarden journeying

DH puts it on baked chicken, but the kids and I eat with curried tofu or even just bread. The other night, we had it with veggie chicken nuggets and french fries.