what did you 'put up' today? (any day, starting today)

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by cathleenc, Jun 28, 2009.

1. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

I steamed 5 lbs of whole crab apples tonight and got 2.5 pints of juice. The juice is a glorious pink color and vibrantly tart! The steamer manual said that yield would be better if the apples were cut/smashed but I ran out of time and just stuck them in whole. For winemaking a pint of steam extracted juice is enough to flavor/make a gallon of wine - much better proportions than juice for the kids. Mostly I want it for jelly but maybe winemaking once I recover from all this silly canning stuff.

this is the steamer I got (half price at a local sale for $75): Kitchen | Helpers and Accessories | Lehman's® Best Steam Juicer - Lehmans.com
  2. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

That's really cool. I'll have to look into something like that...maybe I'll get a good deal too. I'll check fleetfarm next time I go, to see if they stock it seasonally.

I added blueberries to the freezer. They weren't mine, does that still count? lol. They're such a good deal right now, I stocked up.

Also...
    1 red onion braid
    1 extra long shallot braid, probably should have been 2 but I got carried away
    3 more pea pod packs in the freezer
  3. cathleenc

(the last two weeks are all kinda bleary to me....)
    6 qts peaches in light syrup
    6 qts peaches w/brandy and vanilla
    5 pints peach conserves
    4 pints & 6- half pints spicy blueberry jam
    2.5 pints crabapple juice
    maybe a total of 8 gallons of cukes currently fermenting for pickles
    1 gallon saueruben currently fermenting (fermented turnip)
    1/2 lb dehydrated zucchini chips
    4 lbs chevre
    6- 1 lb bags blueberries into freezer
    4- 14 oz bags of green beans into freezer
    4 ducks, processed and cleaned, into freezer
    3 pints zucchini bread and butter pickles
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  4. momto3

momto3 Amity's Focus Member

thanks for the inspiration mamas!
  5. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

I made 9 pints of jam today! 3 peach, 3 plum and 3 mixed. I also blanched and froze 7 ziplock bags of peaches, soaked in orange juice.
  6. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

dried in my new dehydrator :D : chamomile, lemon balm, oregano, thyme, st john's wort

froze 5 dozen eggs

froze pesto

can't remember what else...
  7. Saltwater

Saltwater Amity's Focus Member

Cathleen, the zuc chips are yummy, aren't they? We've been putting different seasonings, like season salt, old bay, emerill's and garlic salt on them before dehydrating. Everyone's eating them off the trays before I can put them away. They're *almost* as good as kale chips. ooooh, I can't wait for it to cool off so we can have more kale. soon. hopefully.
  8. cathleenc

Marina, what are kale chips? can I duplicate them with collards? tell us about them?

I made the zuke chips unseasoned - never tried them before. Will add seasoning next time. These are going to get packed in olive oil, one of these days.
  9. Saltwater

There are lots of recipes. We love the ones with tahini, but there are barbecue and just olive oil and sea salt and you name it. It's kind of a fad raw food right now, so the recipes are everywhere. By the end of last season we were just kind of winging it. It's hard to go wrong.

This one sounds very close to what we were using:
    Raw Food Snack Recipe for Kale Chips - The Renegade Health Show Episode #187 | The Renegade Health Show – Fun and Educational TV on Raw Food, Vegan Diet, Healthy Living

my children would actually argue over the kale at the dehydrator. it was amusing.
  10. Saltwater

11. cathleenc

thank you, Marina! opening new worlds of food preservation :)

hey, you posted about freezing zucchini but I cannot find ANYTHING in print about freezing it. What did you do? Isn't it just a pile of slime when you defrost?
  12. cathleenc

Lauren, what kind of dehydrator did you get? curious minds want to know :)

I'm dreaming of dehydrated smoked garlic flakes/coarse grind. They are absolutely divine on baked chicken.
  13. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Yum! I wish I wasn't between kale crops. Will have to try zucchini chips. I have a bunch.

Forgot about the 6 hens we processed and froze last week. :)

Also potatoes dug, cured and stored. Onions are curing.
  14. Saltwater

I've flash frozen, and then bagged and I've shredded in two cup servings in bags. They're mush, for sure, but it's fine used in soups, sauces or for baking.

I never did can any zucchini in tomato sauce darn it. I might still, but the tomatoes are on their way out. I've got some new plants coming up w/green tomatoes. Might have enough. . not sure.

We've been eating so much okra. It's so good just sauteed in some butter. It tastes kind of like popcorn. I wish I liked it preserved.
  15. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Zucchini chips are in the dehydrator. :) I just brushed with olive oil and sprinkled w/salt.
  16. cathleenc

okra - yum! I love pickled okra! can't you flash freeze it in slices? dip in egg wash, roll in saltine cracker crumbs, sauteed in oil, plenty of salt. yum.
  17. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

11 pints of green beans are canning as I type. Well 7 are canning the other 4 are patiently waiting on the counter to be canned. :)

I finally got enough zucchini to make relish, I'll shred them tonight and finish tomorrow. It needs to sit over night.

I'm making veggie broth to freeze today, probably get a couple of gallons.

already did half pints each of dried tarragon, sage, mint, chamomile and oregano. Half pint jars not filled all the way with dill, marjoram, rosemary.

Today I'm making fresh herb ice cubes with all the ones above except chamomile. I started doing the ice cube thing a couple of years ago and LOVE it. It's great for soups and sauces all winter long.
  18. punkin

punkin Amity's Focus Member

dh did 2 batches of spaghetti sauce yesterday (1/2 bushel tomatoes for each one). we have another bushel of tomatoes to go yet.

I'm working on a 1/2 bushel of peaches today.

then i have pears that will be ready in a few more days.
  19. elsie

elsie New Member

i made 6 1/2 pints of kiwi-watermelon jam today! such a pretty pink color.

Tomorrow, I'm canning taco sauce.
  20. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

I wish we'd get some ripe tomatoes! Only the sungolds (cherry) are ripe so far :( Tomorrow I'm going to top all the plants to try and push them along.

I am so super jealous of all the apricots! They are my favorite and I didn't even see any at the store today. I might stop at the farmer's market in Seattle this week while I am visiting to see if they have some still (they will!) - I miss those markets so much....

(Remember our gardens are small right now! lol)
    Today I put up 4 pints of applesauce and 4 pints of 'spiced apple sauce' - intended to make apple butter but got a little impatient since I had too much to do so I just canned it like that lol DD loves it, so I know it will get eaten.

First batch of pickles brining! 6.5 lbs - though a few were really too big, I threw them in anyway. Don't have high hopes for those though. Next time I'll catch all those darn things before they get so huge!

Before today:

6 pints freezer jam -raspberry and strawberry

6 2cup bags grated zucchini frozen (I grate it, salt it, and drain out the excess water first. Still only plan to use it for soup or bread, but hoping this will help the texture)

I want to do some zucchini pickles this week. I'm curious about the dehydrated zucchini chips - I want to try those! WE still have too much sitting around.

Also have a ton of greenbeans right now. Going to freeze some and preserve some...

I need a big freezer!!!!!!! DH says ok but his demands about it are impossible to meet. Trying to figure it out.