what did you 'put up' today? (any day, starting today)

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by cathleenc, Jun 28, 2009.

1. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

1.5 quarts of brined garlic scapes (lacto-fermented)
  2. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

dandelion roots for tincture for jake's liver
  3. Saltwater

Saltwater Amity's Focus Member

uh. . . tomatoes. I know, you're shocked.

gosh, it takes a lot of tomatoes to make a quart of thick sauce. I lost a couple of quarts and honestly felt like crying real tears. <sniff>

Right now I have cherry tomatoes dehydrating. Some soaking in olive oil/garlic/etc mixture to be dehydrated. yummmmmy. I'll roast some and freeze, but I'm pondering what they would taste like if I roasted and then dehydrated them. I'm also going to de-skin some (correction, I'll have little people do this) and then dehydrate. Am I the only one who hates the skins on dehydrated cherry tomatoes? I'm hoping the oily variety will keep them more gooey.

then I'm going to make sauce with them. lol geesh, gallons and gallons of cherries. they don't seem bothered by the drought at all. I wish I could find my camera battery. I've got one cherry plant that is bigger, by feet, than my 4X8 raised bed and it's so tall I can't reach the top. lol rabbit and goat poop is magical stuff.

and I've got a tomatillo that is just as big (but not as tall). The crazy thing though is that the thousand (I'm not sure, but this might be an accurate count :lol: ) little puffs are all at the same stage, and have been all along. Except one little guy who's way ahead of the race. Does this mean I'm going to have them all come ripe at once? wanna share how you preserve these, other than salsa. I just can't make a decent canned salsa. Fresh yes. Canned. . mush. This plant, it buzzes so loud, from all the mason bees.

do I really want to bother drying basil? cilantro? parsley? how different is it than the little $3 jars in the store?

Morgan's making cheese. Again, with the shock.
  4. cathleenc

Marina,
    I love dehydrated cherry tomatoes! I think of them as chewy raisins. Never heard of marinating then dehydrating - I would normally do it the other way. First dehydrate - then when I wanted oil pack tomatoes I'd steam or briefly soak them in hot water, towel dry, then pack in olive oil with garlic and hot pepper flakes and salt. They keep forever that way.

Great recipe for brined cherry tomatoes in 'Joy of Pickling'. Only keeps for 30 days but they look gorgeous and taste kinda like funky sour pickles. We love them.

Sorry about losing the quarts of sauce! It is such a heart breaker after so much work.

We've gotten used to canned salsa being different, yes, mushy. I don't think there is another way. As for the tomatillos, what about making salsa verde? Or green sauce for enchiladas and burritos?

Why do you guys have rabbits if you are vegetarians? Pets?

Dried cilantro is totally worthless - skip it. Dry the parsley (mostly flavorless but nice for adding contrasting color to dips, soups, etc) and make the basil into the base for pesto. Just blend it with olive oil to a paste then top with at least 1" of olive oil and refrigerate. Do not add the other stuff till you want to actually eat pesto that day (everything loses its punch if you do). When you get bits of mold on the top of the olive oil scrape it off and toss. Good for at least a year.

I used lipase in my fias co mozzarella and hated the taste - dh loved it. Worked nicely on homemade pizza. Will try again soon leaving the lipase out. How did Morgan's mozz turn out?
  5. Saltwater

I got the marinating first idea here:
    If I get overwhelmed with Cherry tomatoes.. - Harvest Forum - GardenWeb

Scroll 2/3rds of the way down to a post by LisaJ_OH

We loved the Fias Co Farm cheese. Morgan did one batch (she's made 6 or 8 now) with an "Italian Starter" from leeners which is Lactobacillus helveticus, lactis. You use this along with all the stuff from the Fias Co Recipe, including the thermophilic. I loved it. Morgan hated it. It gave it a different texture and more depth of flavor. Morgan likened it to eating yeast bread too early, and tasting mainly yeast. She felt as if she could nearly taste the culture or something. I thought the added flavor was wonderful. The difference was less noticeable after the squeaky stage was gone.

I still like the buttermilk type, but probably just for eating. The FCF recipe is better melted.

Have you marinated cheese balls and dried tomatoes together? Or just marinated the cheese balls for that matter? We bought them from Costco that way before, just haven't tried it at home.

When you buy cheese curds in the store, what kind of cheese is that?
  6. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

make cilantro pesto w/the cilantro :)
  7. Saltwater

Oops sorry. We have papered angoras.
  8. thea

thea Active Member

Yesterday froze about 3 quarts of raspberries. Hoping to go blueberry picking on Tues.
  9. Tayce

Tayce Livin' For Jesus

I love putting up food!~

35 pints salsa
    20 pints diced tomatoes
    10 pints spaghetti sauce
    3 pints pickled peppers
    4 pints pickled watermelon rind
    4 pints watermelon jelly
    20 pints mock strawberry jam
    20 pints grape jelly
    10 pints jalapeño jelly

I’ve put away 25 pounds of potatoes

Tied and hung up around 300 onions

Frozen 25 quarts of purple hull peas and 10 quarts of diced tomatoes

Now I'm planning my fall garden and getting ready to do it all over again! Yikes!
  10. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

recipe for cilantro pesto?

I've got 4 tomatillos.. we like to eat them fresh.. I wasn't impressed with my salsa verde that I canned last year, but everyone else loved it...
  11. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

pak (puppy at keyboard) - whatever you use for basil pesto, just sub cilantro! :)
  12. cathleenc

(made over the last 9 days, more or less)
    4 qts rhubarb juice
    4 qts strawberry rhubarb juice
    3 pints cherry jam
    1 pie's worth of cherries, pitted, sugared & frozen
    4 pints beet relish (aka red root relish)
    4 pints pickled beets
    1 pint brined beets & onions
  13. cathleenc

7 pints of zucchini salsa (good but will be better with some recipe tweaking)
    1 pint of pickled radish pods (silly but wth)
  14. cathleenc

2 - 1/2 gallons of fermented pickles (1- lemon/fennel, 1- garlic/dill)
    3 pints pickled green beans
    1/2 gallon of sour cherries packed in brandy
  15. cathleenc

Tayce, how do your diced tomatoes turn out? Do they turn to mush when reheated? I thought that it was kinda impossible to make satisfactory diced tomatoes at home.... and they are my favorite to use. If yours hold up, could you please share your method/recipe?
  16. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    As of 8/1 I have put up:

12 pints of tomato sauce
    6 half pints blueberry jam
    5 half pints cherry jam
    froze 50 lbs of blueberries
    4 pints of blueberry pie filling
    4 pints of cherry pie filling

Working today on freezing or canning sour cherries and possibly making more jam.
  17. #barb#wire#

#barb#wire# Battling Shelob

3 pints of tomato sauce
  18. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

we keep eating everything. lol. But this week I put up...
    4 quarts rhubarb juice
    1 quart crab apple juice, meh, probably won't do that again but I was already reducing rhubarb when I saw them on the tree and thought "worth a try."
    2 fridge packs of chopped rhubarb for crisp or pie this coming week.
    2 freezer packs of blueberries
    5 freezer packs of pea pods

A full bushel or more of fingerling potatoes in the pantry.
  19. cathleenc

Katie, are you steaming the juice? I bought a huge steam extractor a few weeks ago (half price!) and picked a ton of crab apples yesterday to make crab apple juice. Supposedly the juice is excellent for jelly making and for wine making - that is my plan.

tell me how you made yours, please?
  20. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

I'll have to check that out. I just brought to a boil, reduced, then strained. Nothing fancy. the flavor kind of washed out tho, it didn't parallel the fruit like the rhubarb did, if that makes sense. The rhubarb juice tastes like rhubarb, the crab apple tastes like I don't really know what. weird.

I'm thinking, since my mil's tree is drooping with serious crab apple weight, of trying some sort of chutney...like a mango variety, only with crab apple. Dh grew up eating those crab apples and i'd love to find a way to make them more edible for the rest of us.