what did you 'put up' today? (any day, starting today)

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by cathleenc, Jun 28, 2009.

1. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

(I love reading/participating in a similar thread on a different board... and am hoping we can start one here. So here goes)

What did you 'put up' - freeze/can/dry/preserve - today? Tell us! And keeping adding to this thread anytime you have something to add. Always fun to see how locale and regional differences change what is ready and to learn new ways to do things, get ideas, or just plain old drool.

Simple definition of 'putting up' - cooking/food handling practice that results in at least doubling the life of the food. Feel free to interpret however you want.
  2. cathleenc

I canned beets!

3 pints of red wine spiced pickled red beets
    2 pints of pickled chiogga striped beets (so pretty! ended up being a light clear color in a champagne-colored pickle juice)
    2 - 3/4 lb vacuum packs of beet greens into the freezer

also finished up making a batch of chevre with chives and garlic scapes
  3. hematite

hematite New Member

12 jars of apricot jam, from a neighborhood tree that was being ignored
    i also did the first step with 9 pounds of Black berries, ollalie berries and raspberries towards making jelly.... i cooked the berries and put them through a jam sock.

I plan on going apricot picking next weekend and putting up a bunch more apricots and experimenting with apricot/berry jam and syrup. Yummmmo....

I live in San Jose, which used to be all fruit orchards. The tradition with houses here was to plant fruit trees at each house. Sadly, many people don't want to deal with /put up the fruit, so I have a lot to choose from here. The plums look almost ready too and the peaches.... I love summer here...
  4. ThirtySomething

ThirtySomething About to burst

I'm knee deep in apricot jam here too. :) I'll be slicing and freezing peaches later today in addition to making more jam.

I'm also making and freezing a lot of zucchini bread.
  5. froggygarden

froggygarden journeying

I tried to make red currant jam last week. I made some last summer and loved it and was so bummed when I ran out, but this year it didn't set. It makes really good syrup though so we are using it instead of maple syrup for now and I will try again next week for the jam. The red currants are everywhere right now and super cheap at the farmers market too.
  6. cathleenc

oh, how I miss california apricots! nothing, nothing compares to a warm ripe apricot straight from the tree......

anyone want to ship a case to me and I'll gladly pay for all costs involved?
  7. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Nice! We are still waiting for more than scallions, lettuce, radishes, kale and chard - stuff we can easily use as it's ready. :) I didn't plant enough kale/chard to put up cause I plan to have plenty right through Nov/Dec with the greenhouse we're gonna build! I'll probably freeze some later in the season to get us through the depths of winter.
  8. elsie

elsie New Member

I made 12 jars of Strawberry Jam. Yum!

I also blanched and froze 3 bags of spinach/tat soi.
  9. momof3tots

momof3tots Remember me?

I am green with envy for those of you who have so much yummy fruit ready. I wish it weren't so cost prohibitive to get some berries and apricots and peaches shipped to me, and currants.
  10. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Yesterday: harvested greens that we ate right away ;) but I cut and hung a bunch of mugwort to dry for dream pillows and smudging.
  11. cathleenc

2.5 lbs of raw milk goat cheddar
    1 quart persian pickled turnips (love these!)
  12. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

yesterday: lemon balm, more mugwort.
  13. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

yesterday~a quart of strawberries frozen and more herbs drying
  14. #barb#wire#

#barb#wire# Battling Shelob

My first Jam...strawberry. I forgot to do the thing that lets the air bubbles out, so I kept it refrigerated, but the kids LOVED it. Looking forward to getting it right next time!

3 Jelly jars lasted just over a week.....
  15. cathleenc

3 lbs of feta cheese into brine
    4 squab into the freezer
  16. hematite

hematite New Member

Whooooeee am I tired! My daughter and I picked over 15 pounds of Blenheim apricots and then i came home and canned. I canned, all tolled, 25 pints of stuff. A bunch of raw packed apricots, some "plain" apricot jam and a lot of my mixture of raspberry, black berry and ollalieberry juice with apricots.... it looks like a sunset. I am glad that the evening is cool and the house is cooling down from all of that canning. Now to bed~!
    thanks for listening, it is nice to know i am not alone in all of this tradition~
  17. Bonknbug

Bonknbug New Member

Hey Hematite, I'm not too far from you. I live in Stockton, Ca. My dh loves, loves, loves homemade apricot jam! His grandma used to make it for him, and I've always wanted to try, but I have no experience with jam. Can you tell me how you make yours? Thanks in advance.
    *Jess*
  18. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Yum, jams! :) I am hoping the you-pick strawberry place opens this week.
  19. hematite

hematite New Member

Hi Jess!

The best recipe i have involves using a boiling water canner. do you know how to use one of those? If not you could pm me and we could talk about that... it is easy, don't get intimidated!

the recipe goes as follows

2 pounds of ripe apricots, pitted and cut in quarters
    4 cups of sugar
    juice of two lemons

Put it all in a pot and cook on low until everything is soft and incorporated and it has simmered for 10 minutes.

Remove from pot and put through food mill if you prefer less "chunks", omit this step if your husband likes chunks.

Return to pan and heat back up and cook until it is starting to thicken. Skim off all foam from top with a slotted spoon.

Have cleaned canning jars sitting in the hot water bath and the seal lids in a small pot of hot water. Carefully remove the jars (half pint is good) from the bath with the jar lifter and fill the jars with jam (using a jam funnel and a ladle). Place the seals on the top and add the rings, just tightening until you feel a bit of resistance. Place 7 at a time in the water bath rack, lower it to the water, put the lid on and await a rolling boil (the water should have been boiling before you added the jars). Once you have a rolling boil, let them boil in the canner for 20 minutes. at 20 minutes, use a jar lifter (be careful!) and place them on a towel covered cookie sheet or counter and let them cool down. When they are cool check the top by pushing down on the center to check the seal. If anyone of the seals "clicks", that one did not seal and needs to be put in the fridge for use in the next few weeks.

I hope this helps, please feel free to PM me if it is confusing. Investing in a Ball Blue Book and some basic canning equipment will save you a lot of frustration and burns. They carry all of this stuff at Orchard Supply Hardware.

Misty
  20. cathleenc

blenheim apricots, preferably dry farmed, are the absolute best tasting apricot in the world.

I am so jealous....