What breeds of Chickens do you have?

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Nibsie, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Nibsie

Nibsie Active Member

I'm nosy! :lol:
    We have Black Australorps, RIRs, SL Wyandottes, Silkies, Polish, Bantam Salmon Faverolle, OEGBs, and some really cute mutts. So, whatcha got?
  2. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

I had to ask, I just know them by what color they are, lol.
    two new hampshire reds, one black giant, three black sex links, and three new ones. The new girls are supposed to all be buff orpingtons but one is considerably smaller than the others so far. So I'm not sure if there are two buffs and a something else or two something elses and one buff.
  3. mammakat

mammakat harpy

I have a some barnyard X that I think are black australorp/white leghorn.
    a couple of Belgian D'uccle (mille fleur) bantams that I just adore
    A light brama. I'd like to get a couple of more like her.
    A couple of golden comets.
  4. Jenn4262

Jenn4262 Following my path

We've got Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, cute little white silkies, and Silver Spangled Hamburgs.
  5. MMJoiner

MMJoiner New Member

Rhode Island Reds, a Barred Rock, Silkies, bantam mutts and some other mutts of some sort. And one lone Americauna chick.

OH, someone gave me some hatching eggs last night. Silkie, americauna, and polish. We'll hatch them and see what we get ;)
  6. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

omg - you all have those 'silly' chickens! We keep a 'clean leg, clead head' barn - no extra feathers in places feathers were not meant to be. LOL. I think you either like them or you don't - doesn't seem to be an inbetween point of view on fancy chickens.

Buff orpingtons, bantam old english game birds - black breasted reds, bantam barred rocks, americaunas, a bunch of heavy egg layer types, a bunch of crosses.
  7. joy

joy rising up

i have a coven of hens, a roo, and 16 babies.

i raise/breed black javas (4), an endangered heritage breed, and sell their hatching eggs to folks all over the US. my only roo is a BJ.

i am raising to breed: french coppered black marans (5) (chocolate brown egg layer, the darkest eggs) and cuckoo marans (likewise, very very dark eggs) (2).

i am starting a flock of easter eggers to breed (ameracauna/ee crosses, blue green eggs). they are babies now, i have one adult.

i will breed my blue-green layers with a marans roo to get olive green layers (current project in planning).

laying flock: i have brown leghorns (2), a red sex link (1), a gold laced wyandotte (1), a black australorpe (1), a blue green laying EE (1), an EE that lays a cream egg but has won my heart though everyone else hates her (1).

those i haven't mentioned are chicks that are crosses, black java X most of what i have in hens.

30 birds out there. i need to downsize.
  8. MissNairne

MissNairne All new, with added NAK!

We have a few buff orpies, a few barred rocks and several americaunas. Our rooster is a silkie/bantam cross.
    We have a broody hen on 4 eggs right now~ can't wait to see what the babies might look like. :)
  9. mammakat

mammakat harpy

Joy when I put in my black java order I'm going to add some marans! Probably next spring unless I get another coop together first. I think a couple of my crosses ~might~ be cuckoo marans.
  10. joy

joy rising up

sounds good, my FCBMs will be a year old and should be laying fertile eggs by then!
  11. cathleenc

Joy, I have two java chicks in the barn - got two auburn java hatching eggs along with some buff orps and bantie barred rocks - and one of my auburns turned out to be a mottled java! The breeder said its possible to get black, white, and mottled from the auburn but he's never got the wh ite or the mottled before. Kinda exciting! I have a standing offer for the breeder to come get this one if he wants in exchange for an auburn - he's not sure if he wants to make the drive or not.

Some of my mixes are maran-wheaton and maran-americauna.I get blue eggs, olive eggs, heavily speckled medium brown eggs, light beige eggs, and lovely purpley-rose colored eggs. And one pale pale cream egg. Really lovely in the boxes!

current count: 21 hens, 2 roosters, 2 itsy bitsy banty hens, 11 chicks.
  12. littlelemon

littlelemon Active Member

I have 2 Buckeyes, 2 Welsummers, 2 White Plymouth Rocks, 2 Delawares and 1 each of the following: Barred Rock, Easter Egger, Austrolorp, Speckled Sussex. I just sold 3 hens last week and I will soon sell more or cull in the fall. Most of my hens are getting old and I am tired of feeding them through the winter. This fall I am just going to keep the hens I have that are under 2 years old.

I have had many different breeds over the past 5 years that I have had chickens. The only breed that I have now that I am a bit disappointed with is the Buckeyes. I was intrigued with the breed because they were developed in Ohio and are the only breed developed by a woman. I bought eggs from an Ohio breeder, and though my hatch rate was fantastic and the birds are very hardy and vigorous, I just don't like the bird. They are not that attractive and they are very aggressive. The roosters were the most aggressive and mean of any that I have had in the past, and the hens are also very aggressive and noisy. The eggs are not that big or frequent, and I have a hen who has been broody almost all spring. A breeder would like that, but it is very annoying to me because I have had to seperate her from my other hens becuase she will not allow them to come close to her nest.

My favorite breed is the Welsummers. They are gentle (can be a bit flighty), and their eggs are large, frequent, and a gorgeous dark terra-cotta color. The roosters had the best testing meat, and they are also just gorgeous looking. I regret butchering my roos because I would love to stick some of my Welsummmer's eggs under my broody Buckeye and have some more of those little Welsummer peeps!
  13. Nibsie

Nibsie Active Member

My "silly chickens" are the ones that feed all of my other chickens. :lol: I sell my Silkie eggs like crazy. My Silkie/OEGB cross eggs sell really well, too. Once my Polish start laying Ill be selling those, too. Right now I only have Buff but I have an order of White Crested Black Polish frizzles coming in a day or so. I'm incubating some Sizzles/Showgirl/Silkies now. I adore "silly chickens". :lol:
    Joy I was interested in the Javas, but I have heard they are snippy. Is that true? That's why I didn't go with the Buckeyes, either. :(
  14. joy

joy rising up

my black javas are neither dominant nor submissive, and my roo is a complete sweetheart, very well behaved. i got mine in part b/c i read that they had great dispositions.

i can't speak for mottled...they are fairly common (you can get them at hatcheries) and are harder to generalize about due to that.

these are the 'experts" speaking about BJs...
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Java/JavaExp.html
    The Java Experience: Raising a Critically Endangered Breed by Michael Dougherty from the August/September, 2007 issue of Backyard Poultry
  15. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Speckled Sussex, Ameracaunas, Partridge Rocks (so pretty) and um I think we don't have any Rhode Island Reds left, but we had them. Oh and one Silver-Laced Wyandotte (really pretty also, and a Slow Food Ark of Taste bird as are the Rocks).
  16. Nibsie

Nibsie Active Member

Great! Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. :)
  17. cathleenc

hrmmm, after looking at the pics of the white, black and mottled javas I am completely stumped as to what I have in my little chickie. The breeder swears it is a purebred! It was pure goldish colored at hatching with one black dot on the top of its head. Will have to wait till it is fully feathered out to tell I guess. Curious!
  18. joy

joy rising up

the breed yogis at BYC can really help with that question...just post a pic or send it to me (or post here) and i'll post and ask for you. i spend WAY too much time there (tho i try to stay out of the predators forum, as that faction of BYCers is nuts).
  19. Nibsie

Nibsie Active Member

Post here! *clap*
  20. cathleenc

oye. I haven't posted a new pic here in years...will that part of my brain still work? stay posted and we'll see. lol.

thanks for the offer to help id the chick, Joy! I appreciate it. And Black Javas were the first breed I tried to acquire when moving to the farm - thought I could drive down to Illinois and find them readily - lol.