what are you working on?

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Katie, May 10, 2010.

1. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

The nice weather snap has my house falling apart and I'm already sick of mowing.

My get it together list is far longer than my accomplished list, but there is progress. taters and onions are set. Seedlings are still under lamps waiting for our authentic spring, not the pseudo one we had in April. It was tempting to set them outside but I didn't. Whew. side-stepped that little frost disaster last week.

The weather guy is still getting it ALL wrong. There are 3 loads of wet clothes at the back door headed upstairs because the warm and breezy day has turned grey and rainy.

I haven't ordered a single bird. DH is trying to talk me out of a six pack of turkey poults, my bil wants me to raise a steer for him (lmao, um where?) and I want a pair of pigs to churn up new garden space for next year. Dh didn't even respond to that one, he just smiled and walked out of the room.
  2. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

We have 50 Freedom Rangers (free ranging meat birds) on order, splitting 100 with a friend. :) Should be here in the next few weeks.

We are *just* getting to the first mowing, LOL. But, it keeps snowing on the grass!

I have started nothing, plantwise, but am positively itching to start some greens - chard and lettuce greens.

We're talking pigs and goats, but we'll see. ;)
  3. lakshmi_mama

lakshmi_mama cleaning house

ironing out last details and getting ready to go into the 2 month countdown until move time! We give notice at the end of May so it kind of feels like this is the last month of steady that we have left. Those last couple months before moving will be...fun. :cross:

Trying to not feel too bad about not getting a real garden this year knowing how much real garden will be taking over my entire life in the not too distant future. I am putting in some spring onion cuttings to get some in containers on the patio. Some lettuces too. If it is warm enough. ugh. It has been so cold. blech.

almost to the point of counting down... :hoo:
  4. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

So exciting, Katie! :)

Oh I found out that we may be having the addition built in October, and having someone else do all the work (with the labor quote we got it hardly seems worth trying to DIY), so that means grading, septic and maybe foundation work before then, but a whole other time frame than what we were planning - aka I *can* have a garden! :) If I place it carefully, that is. There will be a ton of excavating and heavy machinery going on.
  5. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

Planted all my curbits and bush beans, as well as the rest of the simpson lettuce. Pole beans going in this week, and if I'm productive, I'll also plant the tomatoes, peppers and the rest of the herbs. Started seeds for chard, borage, red romaine, and red carrots.
  6. Katie

Katie, I can hardly believe you all are so close. :woohoo: giving up a growing season is rough tho. There are a lot I'd like to have back. lmbo.

I've been thinking of getting freedom rangers too. I'm afraid if I think anymore, I'll end up without. So I have to get my order in this week. Even if I put off the order to arrive much later. gah.

Lauren, if you have specific areas that you don't want trampled by heavy machinery, be a hard ass about it with the operators. The damage done is brutal. I have areas of yard that just aren't recovering on their own, after 10 years. The dirt needs so much help after they leave. I've been reading about raw milk sprays tho. Just a few gallons, mixed with water and a single spray will get those microbes hopping again. crazy.

I can't wait to see your garden Tara. You are totally rocking it this year.
  7. lakshmi_mama

lakshmi_mama cleaning house

I'd love to hear more about the raw milk spray, Katie. Fascinating!
  8. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

I still have 100 strawberry plants h oping that someday I plant th em - their intended bed turned out to have a stone foundation a mere 10" below the soil. Digging out tons of rock got boring and I quit, never came up with alternative plans.

Tons of seedling under light, ready to plant. Just transplanted the volunteer lettuce to an official bed. All the baby goats are born, 20 meat chicks and 2 meat turkeys are here under lights, mama turkey busy with 10-2 wk old poults of her own (heritage breed), three mama hens setting on a total of 5 pheasant, 6 banty chicken, 12 buff orpinginton, and 2 auburn java eggs.

Potatoes cut and aired, ready for planting. Onion plants ready to go. Need to get the soil dried up enough for dh to do one more run through with the tiller.

Barn still needs to have 2 winter pens mucked out. Cow needs to be halter trained - till then she's essentially dry lotted with lots of great hay. Pasture - which I topseeded last year - looks fabulous!!

and get this - dh has all the wood for next year cut and stacked!!!
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  9. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    hope you don't mind me and my lil acre are playing along ;)

13 chicks & 6 ducks are all out in their coop finally.

need to build the compost area.

i have tons of flower seeds started!~

watermelon, pumpkins, tomatos & basil started as well.

still need to fence in the back of the property.

planted about 20+ white pine seedlings yesterday & a few dogwood as well.

not sure about a full garden, looks like we will be quite shady, but we'll see.

have CSA share orderd jic lol ;)
  10. tara

I only have a half-acre, and they haven't kicked me out yet. :)
  11. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
  12. Katie

Here ya go....
    Finally, An article featuring the attributes/observations on applying raw milk to the soil. | Green Pasture Products

My raw milk guy doesn't have any to spare, but one new amish friend does, so I may ask him for several gallons. I was just going to go down the road and ask the dairy farmer for some but I think I want organic. Here's why...

We were having a conversation about the gophers. Stay with me. lol. It used to be the fields closest to the barn got the manure...and there was less manure the farther away from the barn you got. Virtually no manure by the time you got to the road. He's been noticing a marked return of gophers, but only near the ditches. He thinks there's old "medicine and antibiotics" in the dirt from the previous farm practices...more than a decade ago.

I'm thinking that if he is in fact right, then there has to be medicine and antibiotics in the milk too, if it's in the manure, right? And I probably don't want that on the soil. Even if it brings the microbes. no?

I'm learning too much I think. lol. My head spins when I leave. Whirls for days. It's good I have a week between visits, it gives me time to digest and clear my head so i can ask questions and clarify.

Which lends into my next thing. A1 and A2 cattle (milk and beef) have you heard of this? The devil in the milk Amazon.com: Devil in the Milk: Illness, Health and the Politics of A1 and A2 Milk (9781603581028): Keith Woodford, Tom Cowan: Books
  13. Katie

Now now. size doesn't matter it's what you do with what you have. Did I sound like a dude? :hahaha:

Over achiever!! lol.

Thanks for reminding me to check the strawberry bed. I wonder, should I leave straw around the plants or rake it out?
  14. alexismom

alexismom Lovin Life

Im only on half an acre too, but I like to pretend LOL. My entire rest of my garden went in Sunday. We may have one more frost here, but I am watching it close and will cover where needed. Doing onions, potatoes, tomatoes in a bunch of different varietys as well as grape and cherry, peas, peppers, beans, basil, and a bunch more. Flowers are going in tomorrow. Still deciding on chickens. Well, I've decided...Johnny not so much. :lol: We are planting seed on Wed finally, we have been trying for over a month. The backyard seriously needs some more grass. But, I am having a horrible time killing the sticker bushes back there.
  15. Katie

argh! weeds are bad enough, but weed bushes can make a girl cry. lol. I let a tall thistle type thing go to seed and am paying huge now.
  16. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    Our lot is 3/4 acre but using permaculture, that 3/4 acre can serve us quite nicely.

We tore up all our raised beds and are doing a small traditional garden this year. We are doing this because we are looking at adding on to our home and if we do, we will move our fence to enclose the 1/4 acre adjoining property we just bought. Once that area is fenced in I will start to plan out permanent garden space but until then, I am going to just use the small, already de-grassed area we have in the yard.

This weekend will be spent tilling the garden, getting onions in the ground, and the taters started in tire stacks. I have the permaculture book that was recommended on its way from Amazon and can't wait to have it in hand.
  17. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

we've tilled both gardens, and have seedlings starting. I'm keeping them in the cold frames and they are doing well out there. I order a few seeds for GIANT pumpkins and I'm totally stoked about them, I want one of those 200 lb babies, lol!
    We got three more baby chickies and I'm enjoying the fluffball stage. I wanted buff orpingtons last year but it didn't happen it so I got some this year. :)
    We are planting in the larger garden this year and covercropping the smaller one other than the edges where we've got the strawberries and a section with my herbs. So more planting room yay!
  18. Katie

Excellent Bobbi Jo, I can't wait to hear your updates on permaculture. very cool.

Yay for buff orpingtons. I *still* don't have my order in. gads. I SO want pictures when you roll that 200 lb pumpkin onto your front porch for Halloween. lmbo
  19. tara

Storm, I'll need to see some photos of you with the hu-normous pumpkins! :D
  20. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

If I get good results y'all won't be able to avoid the obnoxious pictures I'll be posting of me and my giant pumpkins. We'll be everywhere. ;)