What are some unique "punishments" you've heard of or used?

Discussion in 'Gentle guidance' started by Redterra, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Redterra

Redterra Just me, doing my best

I really enjoyed the catchphrase thread... and it made me think about this!

I've only got a 2yo son, so there aren't too many creative punishments in our house - BUT -

My great-great Aunt Bessie, who raised my grandfather and his 3 brothers PLUS her own kids, used to make any of them that were fighting stand with their noses together for awhile.

A friend of mine, who for a time was guardian for her 2 teenage nieces, punished one of them by making her wear the same pants to school every day for 2 weeks. I can't remember how she disobeyed - it was something she got in trouble at school for.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  2. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

mine hate having to sit on the couch and hold hands when they're fighting.
  3. xt

xt Active Member

I remember hating that holding hands stuff as a kid, myself.

Not so much a punishment as a mood lightener, I sing the "Get Along" song from Sesame Street. They all join in after a second. :D
  4. tmrhopkins

tmrhopkins I will beat cancer

Certain behaviors in our house are not allowed. They are what a "wild animal" would do and we don't allow wild animals to live in our house so they get a time out on the back porch. We have a sliding glass door so we can see them while they are out there. They usually just stand at the door and pout or cry until we let them in. Five minutes is the max. time we would leave them out there, but generally it's more like about two minutes.

Tawnya
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  5. katiejack

katiejack Active Member

We tell Andy that he won't be sleeping with his favorite "snowman" blanket. This usually straightens him right up!
  6. copmom

copmom Active Member

My girls do "laps" on the stairs, all the way down and back up is one lap.
    More effective than standing in a corner or sitting in a chair, and they are getting exercise to boot! :)
  7. shana1

shana1 Amity's Focus Member

if my kids dont pay attention during homeschool I make then write the preamble to the constitution. Katie my oldest wouldnt sit still in 4th grade and even to this day she knows the preamble by heart now.

I figure it doesnt hurt them and they will learn something at the same time and so far it has worked like a charm.

Ive done the holding hands thing and my kids HATE it but it does work. Im about ready to start doing the lap thing too thats what my parents made me do and in 5th grade i was a #1 runner in track,lol
  8. SmartyMama

SmartyMama New Member

if my kids are fighting I make them sit together at the table and list one anothers good qualities.
  9. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

Irina, I like your list.

That said, the stairs thing is a great idea!
  10. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

11. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

the last time the boys were yelling/fighting about something, i told them it was fine to yell but that they had to yell "i love you" as loud as they could. they were cracking up after the first couple of times and of course forgot what they were fighting about.
  12. mamanaturale

mamanaturale New Member

i :heart: irinia!
  13. brooken

brooken New Member

I have a freind who makes her kids do jumping jacks when they fight. Like, "Eli, ten jumping jacks!" It always cracks me up.
    Oddly enough, I guess redirecting behavior (ala Irina) works for us, becasue I haven't had a situation come up which I thought demanded a punishment. But I also only have one so don't have to deal with the fighting issue so much.
  14. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

Yeah, I don't punish my kids. I do send dd to her room if she is being really bad, but that isn't to punish her as much as it is to let me cool off and think of what I want to do.
  15. ThirtySomething

ThirtySomething About to burst

I :heart: Irina *I :heart: Irina *I :heart: Irina *I :heart: Irina *I :heart: Irina *
  16. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

I don't know if it counts as a punishment exactly, but when Miss pre-teen starts spewing hatred her brother's way (almost never warranted and usually hormonally related) she's instructed to do something extra nice to show him love. If she's not feeling inspired or self-motivated, I'll offer up suggestions for her to pick from. Stuff like cleaning his room for him, making cookies with/for him, reading him a book, playing ball with him, a board game, etc.
  17. ChantingMama

ChantingMama The Divine Miss M

MAN I love this idea. I am in the camp of sending to the room, mostly as an isolation technique, ie, if they don't get out of my face in two secs, I am going to LOSE it! lol And also a reinforcement, if they can't behave around people, they will have to go away from people til they can.

Re the laps thing, while I love the idea of extra exercise, I am always reluctant to put negative connotations on something that I want them to feel positive about. Ie, in the future when they are grown up, when the thought flashes through their head that they should do some exercise, walk up those stairs rather than take the elevator, I don't want them to feel put off cause climbing stairs subconsciously reminds them that they are in trouble, or whatever. Jmho, of course!
  18. TeresaLock

TeresaLock Active Member

Interesting posts. Can't think of anything unique my mom ever did and I struggle here. If my kids were fighting and I tried to make them hold hands it would actually cause them to fight more:(
  19. Megmama

Megmama Happy Happy Joy Joy

Well, I will probably get flamed for these but I'm not sure they are punishments so much as discipline techniques I had to use for my son..He didn't like showering or doing chores so I had to think of a lot of interesting ways to get him to do these things..

Showering usually came down to me telling him I was not above stripping him in the front yard where people could see and hosing him down. I would have done it, too. I never had to. The threat worked :D

Chores..esp cleaning his room. He wouldn't do it at all..I tried everything, taking away fun things, etc. you name it. So I was in therapy and the therapist suggested this: Tell him you won't be leaving the house until it's done. If he does not start cleaning his room, tell him he needs to get out of the room and let you go in. Go in and make a very loud, bigger mess of his room. Let him back in, tell him if it's not cleaned no more "insert fun thing to do that is scheduled for that day here".
    This worked, but I hated doing it..from then on, I just told him to clean it or miss out on whatever fun thing.
  20. Christi

Christi Perpetually NAK'ing

:)