well, hello lady hawk

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Katie, May 1, 2010.

1. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

I think we have a merlin falcon. She (he?) has been on the fence (same spot every time) a half a dozen times, but every time I race to get my bird identifier son, she's gone.

I think we have it identified now as a merlin. Petite little bird, don't know that it'd try to take on one of our chickens but she sure likes to sit and watch them.

Boy she's pretty and it's kind of neat just how close she comes into the yard. She's stealth like too, the dogs race right past her. der.
  2. MissNairne

MissNairne All new, with added NAK!

Oh neat!! I love hawks and owls. Merlins are so cute while being impressive little killers! LOL
    I hope you get lots of chances to observe her(him).
  3. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

I'll have to look up merlin falcons - sounds very cool. Cool enough to photograph and post here! (hint, hint) I used to have some kestrels in a former backyard of mine, loved watching them!
  4. Katie

They are pretty cool. She sits right on top of a black post and it startles me every time I see her. But she picks the exact same spot too. No bigger than 10 inches...maybe I'm being generous.

I've tried to photograph her but I can't get a focus through the screen in the window. I've stepped out that back door and she leaves. But if I just let the dogs out the back door she won't move. lol. She's classified our intelligence I guess. nice to know I'm higher than the dogs.
  5. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

We have an owl we hear at night. I would love to see her..but lol...
    I keep talking to her...telling her that there is dinner in the front yard in the form of a gopher.:hoo:

I love birds of prey. Just Fascinating.
  6. Katie

lol. you may need a day time hunter for that gopher but it certainly doesn't hurt to keep suggesting the menu.

My great aunt told me to take the dirt from gopher and mole hills for my gardens. She said they eat all the seeds from the dirt before they deposit out of the hole. So far, she's been right on the money. It's always weed free dirt.
  7. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

Thanks, Katie. Makes sense on the dirt!
    :)
    .I will be sure to send out the vibe for the daytime hunter as well:)
  8. mammakat

mammakat harpy

Merlins can take a pigeon! They have that classic falcon striping on the face. Plus super yellow feet. I haven't seen one in forever. If I had a regular visitor I would be tempted to get some pet store mice and mouse it. :)
  9. Katie

I'll have to pay attn to her feet.

It'd be fun to "mouse her". I'd have never thought of that. I'm kind of hoping she'll take that new gopher in the front yard. My cats haven't noticed the new dirt piles yet...
  10. mammakat

mammakat harpy

It's how we used to survey spotted owls. We would mouse them and then try to follow them to the nest. It was fun! Well except trying to follow an owl though a steep forest at night.