WEEK 4: mid-range apertures (again)

Discussion in 'Talk Photography' started by tracey, Apr 5, 2010.

1. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    Looking at last week's posts, it's clear that the middle range of apertures has stumped a few of you :) I see the images and they're great! I just think maybe a little more practice, in a more directed manner, would benefit everyone before we move on.

Keeping in mind the following guidelines:
    * manual exposure mode
    * auto focus is fine
    * SOOC is preferred (no cropping/editing)
    * i didn't specify before but i should have...no flash, please. it alters your exposure. we're working with available light. my bad for not specifying. sometimes things i think are understood really aren't...i'm really sorry for missing that one.
    * whatever other guidelines we've been working with...i'm in recovery mode here so i may forget something. lmk if i have and i'll edit.

So...the assignment...

Working in the middle range of apertures (F4-F8) I want you to use the same subject for several images at different aps. I want you to use 3 subjects, aligned on the same plane...so 3 kids lined up exactly next to one another or 3 stuffed toys lined up exactly next to one another or 3 plants or...you see my point here. 3 subjects.

you're going to take 3 images.

shoot one at F4.
    shoot one at F8.
    shoot one in the middle (maybe F5.6? you decide based upon something in the middle for your lens.)

post them all in this thread, with aps labeled.

i suspect that the questions we're having with middle aps will be more clearly answered if we can see the same subjects at varied aps. when we're shooting vastly different subjects at different aps, there are other variables that come into play. this should remove those other variables and make it more clear.

Have fun!
  2. sveasmommy

sveasmommy Rory and Tait too!

Great assignment. Maybe I'll get my three kids in a shot together...might be wishful thinking! :)
  3. EMTonya

EMTonya learning....click...

oooo!!! this will be fun!
  4. Thanks Tracey!! I have been focusing on trying to find something good to take a picture of and I think I focus to much on that, than the actual assignment. KWIM? My options are limited around here and Hunter moves to quick for me to take a good pic of him manually without a flash. So I'm real excited about this week actually getting it, instead of just trying to get a good pic :)
  5. tracey

good...i'm glad to hear that lindsey. it's not about a "good" subject. it's about understanding the assignment of the week. the "good" will come...after a while, almost any subject can be a "good" subject.
  6. golden

golden Active Member

THis is why I have resorted to toy soldiers. And tree buds. They are compliant. :) My kids? Not so much.
  7. I try all week to get something really cool.. and then at the last minute I resort to tree buds (see week 3) and I have a bunch of pictures of toy dinosaurs :lol: I didn't post though ;)
  8. mamaferreira

mamaferreira New Member

Ditto this! Stuffed teddy bears and flowers are much more compliant than at least 2 of my 3 kiddos :)

ETA: I wanted to ask if we should have our ISO set on something specific? I know this isn't something that we've covered yet, but I've noticed that mine is at 800 and I'm not sure if it should be set lower. Thanks!
  9. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

I had problems trying to take pictures of Mason all week too. Glad I'm not the only one.

Thanks for the re-do Tracey. This week was tough for me.
  10. tracey

if you are familiar with ISO settings, set it accordingly based on available light. otherwise, i'd go with 400 indoors during the day or 200 outside during the day.
  11. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

oh wow i learned something today!!! I took a picture (3) of some trees in a row while I waited for the movers to load the truck. At 4.0 the picture was overexposed and 8.0 is was a little dark but at 5.6 it looks great! or wait was that great at 8 and better at 5.6??? :lol: DH has the camera at the moment but I will upload my discoveries ASAP! I am glad this week is a repeat of last because I forgot!

will we post the best mid-range as our final for the week?
  12. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

Ashley, that makes sense if you did not change your shutter speed to balance the exposure with each one. So, if 5.6 were perfectly exposed and you didn't change shutter speed, then there would be less available light coming in when you narrowed down the aperture at 8.0 and the picture would thus be underexposed. Likewise, if you opened the aperture to 4.0 without speeding up the shutter speed, you'd be letting in more light and the picture would be over exposed.
  13. TulaneMama

sweet!! yep...i made sure to keep everything else constant and just change the aperture. thanks for the explanation! :D I am really VERY happy to have something "click"

(off to clean an empty house :wah: :woohoo: )
  14. tracey

excellent job, ashley! that was an important thing to learn! anyone else notice this?

now...i want you to adjust for proper exposure at each aperture as well. this will require you to shift your shutter speed accordingly. we're looking for the tick mark to be under the 0 in your viewfinder/meter.
  15. tracey

i think this week we'll post 3...one at each aperture...but i want the finals properly exposed in the finals thread, if possible. there is actually something completely different that i'm shooting for y'all to learn this week...what you figured out about the exposure variance is important to know and learn...but there is something else ;) hence my request to repeat with proper exposure...
  16. Color me clueless, my pictures all look the same ????

Camera: Nikon D80
    Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25)
    Aperture: f/4.0
    Focal Length: 40 mm
    Focal Length: 41.2 mm
    ISO Speed: 100
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    Flash: No Flash

[​IMG]

Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15)
    Aperture: f/5.6

[​IMG]

Exposure: 0.125 sec (1/8)
    Aperture: f/8.0

[​IMG]
  17. TulaneMama

linds I think the middle one is the clearest...i think it has to do with how much we see in the background??? this assignment is like tryig to solve a riddle ;)

okay - so I will attempt the same shot tomorrow,,,adjust ISO so that the light meter reads '0' every time, correct?
  18. Sunflower_Momma

Lindsey, try the same picture again, but with the toys at different distances from the camera rather than all three on the same plane. One close, one in between, and one further away. Let me see if I can show you.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  19. " I want you to use 3 subjects, aligned on the same plane...so 3 kids lined up exactly next to one another or 3 stuffed toys lined up exactly next to one another or 3 plants or...you see my point here. 3 subjects."

I lined them up like that, because that's what tracey said to do. But, I do get that if they were not all in a line, using the different ap would make the focus different. I will try that again tomorrow
  20. Sunflower_Momma

L showed me the directions and my post is now irrelevant. :lol: :eek: