WEEK 2: building on week 1...(discussion/photos)

Discussion in 'Talk Photography' started by tracey, Mar 21, 2010.

1. hannahsorchard

hannahsorchard Happy... so very happy :)

I'm having very little patience with my camera lately. I really can't wait until I can get something different. I'm having a hard time getting nicely focused low ap pictures (that you can actually tell it's lower ap) unless I'm on macro or super macro but I'm assuming I'm not supposed to be in those settings at all?

I'm thinking that's the only way I was able to get those shots last year too. It's really annoying me. *cry*
  2. TurtleMa

TurtleMa Amity's Focus Member

it's my understanding that the fstop#'s on point and shoot cameras aren't quite exquivilent to DLSR fstops because the fstop is actually a fraction of the lens opening at it's widest and since the point and shoot lenses are smaller the hole is smaller too so the opening on a DSLR lens at f5.6 will be a much larger hole than the the point and shoot lens at the same fstop. That means the point and shoot is letting in much less light than the larger DSLR lens at the exact same fstop . The result is that the depth of field on the point and shoot is much larger and it's much harder to get the fuzzy backgrounds that come from lower fstops (shallower depth of feild) on a DSLR

Does that even make sense? lol I'm really new to this so I feel weird giving any sort of technical info but I've been doing a lot of reading because understanding the mechanics/science behind the setting actually helps me learn it much faster.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  3. hannahsorchard

It kind of makes me want to bail since it seems practically impossible with my camera. Though Rivka just got a nice shot on hers.
    I also misunderstood the post earlier and thought AV setting was the AutoFocus but that was stupid. So then I went and shot some with AV. :rofl: I'm having a pissy week and so that isn't helping ha.

I'll have to just see what shots I got that happened to be shot in Manual.

Well my macro setting pics worked anyway :lol:
  4. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    :joker: crystal! you're adorable. :) if it helps, you made me smile. that takes a lot today.

no macro setting. just do the BEST YOU CAN with WHAT YOU HAVE. ok? you'll still gain the knowledge! and you're still going to IMPROVE! :D

i promise.

michelle is correct. a p/s is going to have limitations. totally different animal than an SLR.
  5. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

i haven't taken any yet. i tried earlier this week, but the lens i have on wouldn't let me go low enough. i do have another lens that should work, but i haven't tried it yet.

i am glad to know about auto-focus too!
  6. hannahsorchard

but I seriously can't get it to focus. not on the up close thing anyway. I'm uploading a couple more to see if they happened to be in Manual. I just checked and the ones that actually came out decent are all AV since I was a big huge dork and misunderstood. Well, and I couldn't get anything to focus. I may have to try again tomorrow after the kids get off to school because I think I may just toss my camera if I have to fight with it more tonight. :p
  7. hannahsorchard

%$#& Dude. Those were on AV too. Ok I'm determined. I'm going to try again right now. No tossing the camera I promise. And I *will* upload something even if I feel it doesn't show anything.

*rolling up the sleeves*
  8. ufotofu

ufotofu Amity's Focus Member

You can do it! :)
  9. hannahsorchard

Ok I added 4. I have no idea if any of them will work or not. My indoor ones of Hannah... they look really noisy but is that a bad noise or is it from low ap? I had a hard time telling since she *appeared* to be in ok focus?

It's getting late so my lighting wasn't the greatest for the ones with Chloe. But I'm hoping they at least work. I'm going to keep trying though to gain some consistency. I just need to loosen my expectations with this camera too...
  10. tracey

then back up.
  11. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

Go crystal!!
    I am so enjoying this! I have taken my pics, and wish I could share. I will probably not get to upload next week either, but I may be able to use my MILs computer while we are in FL, we arrive next Saturday and stay for a week. :D
  12. hannahsorchard

When I back up... it all looks to be in focus. But maybe it's really not and just appears to be that way to me. I guess I'm expecting more of a noticeable difference and I haven't been able to achieve that. The ones I did of Chloe I was literally right up to her face...

Maybe I need a good sleep a trip to the park with Jonas tomorrow.
  13. tracey

ok you were right up to her face, but were you using macro? that's unreasonable to expect of your lens w/o engaging that feature.

you *will* have limitations from your equipment. a p/s with manual is only going to give you an imitation of an SLR.
  14. hannahsorchard

Nope. Not with these last ones. I was actually trying to do F 2.7 but when I zoomed in to crop it would change it to 3.5. So I got closer in order to get 2.7 and it was still focusing with the green box.

If I didn't zoom or get closer then I couldn't really focus on her face instead of the background.

I was trying to have something up close to focus on so that the background wouldn't seem as focused but I think I'm failing miserably. :lol:
  15. tracey

ok you hit on something key...the ap changes when you zoom because the focal length changes. i think i've already addressed this like a gazillion times with the dslr folks who have the 18-55mm lens :D same thing.

do not use the zoom. set the zoom wherever it needs to be so the ap goes to 2.7.

USE YOUR BODY to move your location, NOT the zoom. focus. shoot.

you should succeed!
  16. hannahsorchard

Yep. That's what I was doing since I knew the ap changed and I wanted the 2.7. So I moved to her face. :lol:

My lighting was pretty bad too. Hannah's lighting was better, but that was indoor and I had to use the flash. But the backgrounds... not sure if those are noisy or just normal low ap or if it's because I used the flash.
  17. Cuddlemama

Cuddlemama Introspective Mama

Hey, Tracey...

Have I mentioned yet that I'm incredibly grateful for the time and encouragement you're willing to share as we progress through these lessons.

You're an incredible mentor and a strong artist, and I hope you get a sense of how much it's appreciated!
  18. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

:lol: I think thay THIS is the language most of us are speaking and hearing right now! SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE! It took me a while of reading and thinking to understand that this is what you were saying for this weeks assignment.
  19. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

:heart smirk: :agree:
  20. tracey

:eek: thank you, guys.

i needed that tonight. i'm in the midst of receiving mixed news (slowly, via chat) and really needed to hear this.