WEEK 2: building on week 1...(discussion/photos)

Discussion in 'Talk Photography' started by tracey, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

I might actually like this one better, but I don't think it shows the assignment as well as your others. Also, I'd have preferred it more if you had all of the flower container in the frame.
  2. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    r, we've not covered ISO...i doubt most of the mamas on this project are there yet. i agree with you...totally...but...
  3. JeniLyn

JeniLyn Guest

I didn't crop at all. I thought we were supposed to do as raw as possible...but I will go back and crop. :) As for the 800 I think I was just being lazy. The 800 allows more light for low light situations (than, say the 200), correct? So it was okay for the shaded pics, but not for the sunshiney ones?
  4. tracey

j, i think she meant in-camera. don't crop your images for this project just yet...i really want you to focus on just one thing at a time...piecing it all together as you go.

i'm forcing baby steps.

you are correct that 800 allows more light.
  5. Sunflower_Momma

gotcha.
  6. Sunflower_Momma

Yup. In camera.
  7. golden

golden Active Member

I know nothing about such things, but is it my imagination or does those photos taken with a 50mm at 1ish apps give you that lovely creamy look.

I think I need to get me one of those!!!
  8. Cuddlemama

Cuddlemama Introspective Mama

I just put up several images on Flickr. I am really, really trying to truly do the lessons with what our Sensei calls "a fresh mind". Which is my way of saying that I did not push for great composition or perfect noiseless photos this week, but I did my best to take shots that were decent examples of tight ap shooting.

Anybody make a suggestion on which to put in the final thread?
  9. Cuddlemama

I love the way a good 50mm shoots. My 50 is definitely my favorite lens at the moment.
  10. JeniLyn

JeniLyn Guest

Okay, I completely get that. I went back out and tried on a lower ISO (200). I also tried to be aware of the lines of the pic--it's hard for me to see the big picture. :)

Thanks both of you for your help.

This one's dark b/c of shutter speed:
    [​IMG]
    Ex: 1/400
    AP: F/4
    Focal Length: 30
    ISO: 100

Here's nearly the same pic (oops on the hand), with a different shutter speed, but this one is too light. grrr.
    [​IMG]
    Ex: 1/100
    Focal Length: 30

This one I thought was good until I saw it on the computer and realized I wasn't focused on the closest leaf. I'm a bit frustrated, but glad I'm starting to notice the distractions, now:
    [​IMG]
    Ex: 1/100
    Focal Length: 28

I tried this one again, b/c I like the texture even if it is boring:
    [​IMG]
    Ex: 1/80
    Focal Length: 28
    ISO: 200
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
  11. Sunflower_Momma

Nice job Jeni! I like the tree as well. Lovely light bokeh in the bottom left.
  12. madmacksmommy

madmacksmommy New Member

Contentment is not fulfillment of what you want bu
    I have not taken my pics yet. I had a really off day today and will work on catching up tom.
  13. ufotofu

ufotofu Amity's Focus Member

I have to order a new charger for my camera's battery. I can't believe it, but it is not here. I can not locate this thing and I've torn this place apart. Can I use a picture that I took like 2 weeks ago if it meets the requirements? I just looked at it was taken 3/10. I'm going to add it while I'm sitting here to the final thread, but please let me know if that isn't okay. I think out of everything camera related I best understand shallow depth of field.
  14. clane

clane Bookish Mama

Meg, the only thing would be if it was in manual mode or not...i have *tons* of pics at f1.8 but they were shot in aperture priority.

i uploaded a few to the group. need to choose a final for the week. help? :)
  15. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

ahh! I think this is a FANTASTIC point to bring up! I have been setting my camera on Manual across the board. Are you saying that we can use AF? :badidea:

I will post my finals later today...off to do more sorting and packing! :vent:
  16. tracey

yes, you can use auto-focus. manual mode means manual exposure. sorry if that wasn't clear. we are learning about exposure.
  17. hannahsorchard

hannahsorchard Happy... so very happy :)

OH MY! I was thinking we had to be on M setting the whole time so I was getting very very very frustrated trying to get this to work. I was pretty much giving up because I couldn't seem to get my shots to focus right and I've been in a bad mood. :lol: I'm going to try again after everyone else gets home from church. Hopefully the timing is ok. I used AF last year and so I know I can get some shots with that! M just was NOT working for me!

I'm glad this was brought up! LOL
  18. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Ashley, I wanted to see what your data shows when you have it on manual focus. Can you link me to one of your pictures on Flickr? I can't seem to figure out who you are on there. :p
  19. Cuddlemama

I popped an image into the Final thread. I have to get my pictures up on Flickr earlier in the week so I can get feedback/help choosing. I don't know that I prefer the shot I picked, ultimately, but felt like I had to pick one and just get it in there so that I wasn't behind.
  20. ufotofu

ufotofu Amity's Focus Member

I just checked and it was AP, which my dh shoots in. He found the cord and the battery is charging now so I'll have a picture up soon. Whew. I was feeling panicked because B&H is closed until 4/7.

ETA: pic for week 2 is shot and done. whew.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010