WEEK 1: use that camera! (look at #184)

Discussion in 'Talk Photography' started by tracey, Mar 14, 2010.

1. redheadmama

redheadmama Active Member

I just wanted to say thanks so much for doing this, Tracey. I will be honest and say that I read my manual, but it was like Greek to me, lol, so I am still clueless as to how my camera really works. I have rarely used it in full auto, but have kept it mostly on the "P" setting (not even sure what that is, lol). I am more of a learn by doing kind of girl, and the way that everything was explained in this thread was immensely helpful to me in gaining an understanding.

It has also given me a newfound love of my camera! :heart smirk:
  2. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    i'm so glad, cat. i really am.

i love doing this...explaining it to people. i've been shooting for so long, it really is second nature to me now...and translating the camera-greek to the-people's-english is really an easy task for me, all things considered. i was 16 when i first learned all that you guys are learning now...it was a film camera, film i had to roll myself, put into my camera, i had to manage the exposure data per shot on a pad of paper in my pocket, personally develop the film and personally make a series of contact sheets to see the images in order to decide which to enlarge and to analyze my data (from the pocket pad) vs the contact sheet (8x10 sheet of photo paper with all the images from the roll of film, in minature-film sized.) doing it with digital is INFINITELY easier. trust me :lol: but, i learned it and learned it well back then. later this year will be 20 years (i'll be 36 this summer.)

if i say something during this project that is confusing to you, please let me know. i plan on keeping it as approachable as possible and i REALLY look forward to seeing a whole lot of amitymamas taking amazing photos this year and from here on out :)
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  3. Christi

Christi Perpetually NAK'ing

Is it too late for me to get in on this? I know I've been MIA here for a while but this looks like fun and I miss you gals!
  4. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d

just jump in, christi. this week ends tonight/early tomorrow so read the assignment. i won't be able to get you a flickr invite until late tonight though...i know carey is out today and rebecca is doing a long run & i'm headed out the door for a bday party so it'll be one of us after we get in later to add you to the group.

we add our "maybe" options to the flickr for discussion and feedback and our final to this thread...
  5. Christi

Christi Perpetually NAK'ing

Thanks! Headed to my kids bday party myself! :)
  6. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

I wonder if we could have a chat thread over here and separate thread with just the pictures? Would that be too much to hope for? :p
  7. hannahsorchard

hannahsorchard Happy... so very happy :)

The thing about that is that conversation about the pictures would be difficult if you have to go to another thread to look at them, yk? Like if I was talking about Rebecca's ______ picture then everyone would have to go to the other thread just to see her picture in order to comment. Does that make sense?

I think much of this thread prob won't happen in future weeks since a lot of these posts were about finding picture info, discussion about whether to go to Flickr or not, how to upload the pictures etc. I think the next weeks threads will be much easier to navigate. Or I would imagine so anyway. :)
  8. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

I'm with you. This thread is just far too long.
  9. Cuddlemama

Cuddlemama Introspective Mama

We started shooting around the same time, Tracey. I can still smell developer and feel the click of my Leica. Moving to digital hasn't been as intuitive for me as I'd hoped, though. I understand the concepts, and know how the camera works, but I'm still trying to convince the dSLR to do for me what my Leica would do in similar circumstances.
  10. Cuddlemama

Cuddlemama Introspective Mama

[​IMG]

This picture feels like it fits the criteria of the assignment best for me this weekend. It's not my favorite shot of the week, but it's the one that best shows tight stop exposure in landscapes, I guess.

~L
  11. golden

golden Active Member

Far too long for what? I guess I misunderstood the point, and the expertise needed for this project.
  12. Sunflower_Momma

Far too long to see each of the "final choices" for the week. I think it is awesome for processing and discussing, but if I want to go back through and see each person's final choice, I've got a lot of pages to work through.

Does that make sense?

But, really, whatever people want is jiggy with me.
  13. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

thanks tracey, i got it! sorry for being silly. :)
  14. golden

golden Active Member

Well, for sure, if all you want it to look at the final choices, then 20 pages is a bit much. How have you done this with other 52er's? You could either post a separate thread with the final photos only, no commentary, or is there somehow on Flickr to subgroup the final photos?

And in the future, I will keep my chatter off line to shorten the thread length.
  15. Sunflower_Momma

I don't mean to have you keep your chatter off line.

Now I feel like a *****.

Sorry.

Carry on. I'll work through it.
  16. golden

golden Active Member

Sorry Rebecca. :hug: I am feeling *****y tonight.

But seriously, would either of those suggestions work? I for one am clueless about Flickr beyond what it took me to upload two photos. Or like you mentioned, just a seperate thread with the final photos. This forum doesn't get a lot of activity so I don't think it would fall off the front page during it's week.
  17. Sunflower_Momma

It ultimately doesn't matter to me, but maybe one thread for discussion and one thread for the final shot each person choses?

I was looking back through this thread and it really is much more a discussion thread than a picture thread and so I think it is perfect for the discussion. There aren't all that many pictures on this thread anyway.

But, I'm just one person and my feelings absolutely carry no more weight than that of anyone else. I'm pretty flexible and can roll with whatever the group wants.
  18. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Really, for me, it was just a suggestion. :p It doesn't really matter.
    It is just really difficult to go through and see the pics with so much talk, but I *like* the talk.
    I was just trying to figure out a way that we could do both.

Maybe for next week, if we don't want to separate it, we could each do a placeholder at the beginning of the thread for our pictures? So they are all together?
  19. hannahsorchard

hannahsorchard Happy... so very happy :)

I like that idea! But ... how would we make sure we can start talking? We would have to wait for everyone to post their place holder. Unless we said like "ok everyone has until Monday to make their placeholder" but I'm not sure how well that would work either. I like the idea... just not sure how we can implement it really.
  20. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Hey! I can't think of everything! :lol:

Honestly, I don't know. I guess we would all have to make sure we all held radio silence on that thread until the end of the week maybe?