"wealth" Discuss:

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Sunflower_Momma, May 16, 2007.

1. Kristerae

Kristerae Amity's Focus Member

As a Christian, I agree, however I feel there needs to be some caution here-remember the name it claim it preachers...honestly there is some truth to some of their doctrine, but it also can be misleading.

I have NOT read the book so I am jsut talking out of my concerns. Because some people will be seeking health and if they do not acheive that, should they feel condemned that they did not do enough or were attracting the sickness they suffer?

Patsy was jsut one huge example I shared because it is so real to us. To her and Christians, she is healed, yes. BUT what about someone who is not Christian and is seeking the LOA for healing.
  2. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I have not read the Secret, but saw the video. I think that its purpose is to be an eye-opener. Over-the-top to get people's attention. It is not the whole story. It is about ONE universal law which works with other universal laws. So, yes, it can be misleading. Without my own understanding of other metaphysical principles and other universal laws, I could never make sense of things like Patsy dying, serious illness, not getting the job/house/whatever I have been visualizing and affirming. I think starting to understand the LOA can be the start of a new way of thinking -- but it is not the end or the whole story.
  3. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

Those are sme of the same difficulties I am contemplating. There is so much out there that God created that I will never even begin to imagine. I do believe that if I affim and allow things to happen, I will see something come to fruition. DH and I are praying and using our positive thoughts and affirmations to bring aout an adoption of a baby. I think that whether or not LOA is actually real, the thoughts, the positie thinking will keep it in the forefront of our minds... and we will be more receptive to seeing the answers to what we are seeking (the adoption of a baby). If we didn't keep it at the forefront of our thinking, I think we could miss people and opportnities simply because we didn't 'catch' them at the right time. Is that making any sense? If nothing else, following some ideas from the LOA teachers is keeping me motivated to make my dream of adopting a baby come true. It's also helping me work through a bunch of different aspects of the adoption... like what we would be willing to deal with as far as special needs.

I struggle with the metaphysical stuff, too. But I am keeping God in the forefront... and praying to Him, believing that He will put the right people and information in frot of me at the right time for this adoption process to work.
  4. Kristerae

I was just noticing one of the affirmations in another thread in this forum and a statement was to quit seeking God or soemthing like that. I thought to myself, there is no way I could do that. I look for God in everything.

I am off to work but will be checking back to contemplate more of these musings.

I do thing the eye opener things is a great way to describe this. I do beleive there is truth in it, but there are things that I cannot understand at the moment so I proceed carefully -if that makes sense:)

Have a great day darlings
  5. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

You know, up until a couple of weeks ago that would have raised red flags for me, too. Here's what made me see a different way of thinking...

My friend, Liz, is a really wonderful person. She is a Christian woman who is strong in her faith, but not outspoken about it. She lets her faith show through her daily life and actions, but doesn't talk about her faith with many people unless asked. Now, there are a lot of other military wives I know who are very very vocal about their faiths, but Liz is NOT one of them. She attends the Protestant Women of the Chapel (PWOC) biblestudy each week and is a member of a local church and pretty involved there, as well. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, she was asked to give her testimony - and it was very uncomfortable for her. She wasn't sure what to say or how to say it. She is a very well educated woman... so that wasn't the problem. She worked out what she wanted to say and write it down, and asked me to read it. She wrote some very interesting things, and it really made me think about my own faith.

Liz was brought up in England. In England, there is still a State church. In the public schools there is prayer. Each week there are assemblies, and 51% of the assemblies have to be of Christian content. As she states, "God was never lost, why do I need to find Him?" She was brought up in a much different way than we, as Americans, have been brought up. In England, it is assumed that everyone is Christian. It's not questioned. She knew from a very early age that God was always with her. She can't remember a time that she didn't know who God was in her life.

That said, she had times in her life where she questioned what she was brought up t believe. She is a scientist (a physics major from Cambridge University!) and has really worked out her faith along with her scientific knowledge. She has spent time in the Gulf War as a British Army Officer... so she has known who God is in that situation, too. But in her words, God was never lost. She observes him, but she doesn't need to seek or find Him, because He is there. He is in everything, is everywhere.

Before I read her testimony, it never occured to me that someone could just ALWAYS know. Obviously she has chosen to believe in her Christian faith, but she neer felt like she had to make a huge decision about it. Even though I was raised in a Christian family, and I knew God forever, I did make a conscious choice to follow God at one point. But I think that is our culture, and is part of a lot of protestant beliefs. However, if someone has always known that they are a Christian, and are following God... obviously they are making a choice to do so whether there was a sudden change/decision or not. So, I think I have taken a lot from Liz's testimony. She has a strong unwavering faith, just like I do.... but she was brought up to believe that God was with her (as was I) and she chose as an adult to continue believing (as I did).

I think what the other poster was saying (I read that post too), was that instead of actively looking for God, she is now KNOWING that God is there and doesn't feel that she needs to look. She knows. She has the faith that God is there without her having to have absolute proof. She is taking God's prmise of being there and really using her faith by not seeking Him. Just knowing He is with you... and trusting that He will guide you. Of course I don't think that means that a Christian should stop reading the Bible - that is one of the ways God speaks to us. And if we tust He is with us, we would be wanting to read His words and be the type of person he desires.

Wow... I am getting deep. SO NOT ME! :lol:
  6. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I posted the not seeking God thread. Without looking it up so perhaps I did not get it quite right. But yes. What you way is exactly the point. It was a huge Ah ha! moment for me. I have long said/thought that my whole purpose is to know God and to serve God and I always was seeking, seeking, seeking. When I read that quote (and I will come back later with book in hand to post the quote properly), a new view opened up to me.

Heather said it beautifully and I am short on time. Will be back later. Thanks Heather!
  7. mamatanya

mamatanya the bead lady

As someone who is not Christian and is finding that my life long beliefs are actually very LOA, let me say that I find no difference in my belief that Patsy is healed. Just because I my beliefs about the bible and Jesus are different, does not mean that I do not believe in something that is greater than myself and that goes on beyond my lifetime and physical being. Please don't take that as a defensive or arguementative statement. Just offering a glimpse into another belief system. I think of God as the Universe. In fact, I think even referring to God as the Universe is a bit too small of a term but as God is unknowable, I do my best to have a thought structure that allows me to think of that which is.

When you get into reading about the LOA you find that most of the writing that gets into a spiritual aspect is very unconcerned with having to get it right in this lifetime. We are all part of God, the Universal consciousness, the Universe, etc. We have chosen to experience a limited existence. So as this is just an experience, there is no good or bad or right way to do it. That does not mean that we should lead bad lives. Bad lives are bad because they do not serve the individual or those around us. We work toward meaning and flow and abundance because those are part of who we truely are. We are God's children (no matter how you conceive of God) and the more that we realize that and live in alignment with that, the more enjoyable our experience. But if we don't get there, we still experience being limited beings and we still go back to God when this experience is over. (I am a Unitarian so even from a "Christian" viewpoint, I don't believe in Hell or the devil - but that's another discussion.)

So as a very LOA person, I believe that Patsy is free of suffering, healed and experiencing great joy with God. No conflict with the Christian view. :)
  8. Kristerae

Let me please explain what I meant about Patsy.

She desired to physically be healed upon this planet. she did not want to leave behind her children or husband.

SHE DID NOT ATTRACT THIS ILLNESS OR DEATH. That is my point.
  9. Kristerae

I never doubt for a moment that God is always there but I do SEEK divine guidance on things all the time -all day long....

I think I was misunderstoood on everything I posted previously

My caution is that LOA is not a magic potion we take and life turns beautiful -and if anything negative comes it is our own fault it comes.
    some things are completely beyond our control.
    Last edited: May 28, 2007
  10. mamatanya

mamatanya the bead lady

LOA is not a magic potion we take, but when we see life as beautiful we are much more likely to attract our good. If we are ill and have no hope, we have a much lower chance of survival than if we are positive and deeply committed to the beauty of life. This is not about making sick people "wrong." But I would encourage any sick person to reach for the happiest thoughts that they can have.

Negative things happen and different people have wildly different reactions. I've read stories of people living with cancer or aids who say that while they would like to be well, that the illness has added so much richness and beauty to their lives because it has made them wake up to the beauty around them and caused them to connect to their family in a way that they would have gone through life fairly well dead if not for the illness.

When I was on vacation, I was sitting in the laundromat with 9mo ds. An older man came in and sat next to me while his wife started putting laundry in the machines. He smiled at David and asked if he could hold him. He's an agreeable baby and I love to share him. As he held him, the man started to cry. I figured he just hadn't seen his grandchildren in a while or lost a child or something. I told him it was ok and put a hand on his shoulder. David was perfect and stayed with him.

Then he told me that he was dying. He was going to have an operation in two days and he was going to die. I never did ask him what the operation was for or what his illness was. He gave me a dollar for David's college fund. I just sat with him and let it all be. We talked in a round about way and he fluctuated between his greif and his delight with the baby and his love of his wife and family. Then he told me that after the surgery the ring that he was wearing would be sent to his son. And he started to cry a little. I waited and when he was back with us and starting to smile at David a little, I said, "I'm sure that they wouldn't do the operation if there wasn't hope." He just lit up. Now I know, know, know, that the doctors must have told him that. I'm sure that they told him what his chances were. But until he was in a better feeling place, holding a baby and remembering, he could not hear. He told me that he was a control freak. I told him that the only thing he could control was his hope.

We talked for a long time. He told me his name. I've checked the obituaries several times. I've never found his name.

It is pointless to blame God or ourselves for that which we would have be different. We cannot control just exactly how things go. What we can control is how we feel and what we let in.
  11. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

Okay, this thread has gone astray from my original topic - which is great! I love it when that happens, but I have little to contribute to the current twist and I do have to fill in on that which I've decided for me and wealth.

It feels to me as if many who subscribe to "The Secret" ARE focused on wanting more money/wealth and I was feeling somewhat strange that I did not want/need more money/wealth. I thought there was maybe something holding me back. I know that we could have more money if we wanted to do that which is necessary to get more money, but, truth be told, we are more than fine. I do not want or need any more than the abundance we currently have. We are blessed. And, I do not need to feel inadequate for not desiring more, but rather appreciating that which we do have. We are very lucky and very blessed and it would appear as if that which we have is only going to increase over the years.

I don't need more. I have all I need. I am very grateful for that.
  12. Mom 2 5 girls

Mom 2 5 girls New Member

I've been reading this book
    How to get what you want in life with the money you already have Keeffe, Carol.

It has to me a lot of the LOA in it, positive thoughts and enjoying life. I'm almost done with it. It's an older book I found at the library.

Organicmama-It's a good read.