"wealth" Discuss:

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Sunflower_Momma, May 16, 2007.

1. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

Again, I'm only at the very beginning, but it seems as if many want "wealth." We have "money" but we do not have "wealth." For some strange reason, I feel as if I have a mental block when it comes to the concept of "wealth." As if it is aversive.

Why?

How do you feel about the concept of "wealth"?
  2. Sunflower_Momma

Thinking some more about this and this is what I come up with:

I'm comfortable. I'm pretty certain I could make more money, but I'm not willing to do what it would take for that to happen. I don't trust that money just comes without pulling oneself up by the bootstraps and working one's tail off.

I've always worked at least one job. I've always worked my butt off just to get by. This is the first time in my life in which I only have one paid employment - and it is my own and I only work 20 hours/week. I don't want to work any harder because I'm okay with where I am and "wealth" feels as if it would require too many unacceptable (to me) sacrifices.

And, I know that money will get easier for me with the passage of time. right now, I am paying day care/preschool for those hours I'm at work and I am paying off debt associated with starting a new business. I recently added neurotherapy to my business because I believe it will be a great investment in terms of increased (easy) revenue. It cost a lot of money to get trained and buy the equipment. I'm paying that off, but I have no doubt that it will get paid off relatively quickly and then all the money that was going to the loans will be extra for me (or my business). Likewise, when kids are no longer preschool aged, the money spent on preschool will be extra money for me/our family.

But, I think it is because I associate increased income with too much work and because I'm relatively content with the level we currently have. So, my perception of required effort is not worth it.
  3. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I think that a prevailing idea among those who are not very weathy is that the very rich are greedy, just got lucky, only want material things, etc. I feel like there is a notion that the wealthy are not like the rest of us. They are separate and not in a good way. This is not my idea.

It is interesting that you talk about associating wealth with working very hard -- because that it is not what I generally hear. I totally agree with this though. I am not will to sacrifice family time and my own time for more money. I am comforatable where we are.

On the other hand, I would love to have tons of money in the bank so every time I hear about someone needing help, I could send them the money they need. So that we could take an extravegant vacation with our children and the grandparents.

The other thing I would like money for is for someone to take care of my yard, clean my house thoroughly -- to give me more time for reading, studying, playing with my children, going out with my husband, having dinner with my sister.

I will need to come back.
  4. Sunflower_Momma

I've heard that idea as well and I initially was drawn to that being the reason toward my not wanting wealth. I also often think of wealth not being associated with working very hard, but I cannot see any other manner in which I could be wealthy without hard work. So I see it that way for others, but for me I associate a significant increase in money with just having to work harder as I have my whole life.
  5. Sunflower_Momma

And, I don't want my life to be about money. And, I guess I have a stereotype about the wealthy that their lives are all about money. Probably an unjust stereotype.
  6. Kristerae

Kristerae Amity's Focus Member

Wealth does often have a negative stigma for me as well.

Right now I am at a place where I would like to spend money adn not feel guilty or afraid we wont ahve enough at the end of the week.

I do work hard and feel I cannot sacrifice any more for work time or life will be incredibly unbalanced.

I have experienced it with Dreamseeds being home all day studying and on the computer beleive it or not.
    Then the past few weeks I have been picking up any shift possible to try and pay bills and go to new Mexico. In the end I still am not going, I was gone so much to work a couple of credit cards were paid late because I lost track of priorities and some of that extra money was spent of late fees.

So I have to come back to YES, work hard...it is fulfilling and rewarding but it can off balance ones life when seeking "wealth" and often times in the end it does not pay off.

Today, looking back at the past few weeks, I will still work an extra shift on occassion, but on occassion. That way I am balanced (or hope to be) isntead of sleep and everything thrown off and becoming a zombie.
  7. Natalia

Natalia New Member

In the other post, I listed the class I am taking about LOA where the main goal is to live a passionate and purposeful life. I want to work hard at something that I am passionate about. I am still from understanding the details of how to make this work.

So I seek a passionate and purposeful life. I do not seek wealth. But I do hope that it will be a natural by-product of my passionate and purposeful work :)
  8. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I also don't want my life to be about money. But I think that this is a luxary of those who have enough. What I want is to have enough money to do what I want to do without worrying that I cannot pay for it -- while also not worrying about acquiring stuff and redecorating my house and otherwise keeping up with -- well, anybody.

I have long held a vision of how and to whom I would give money if I won the lotto. I would love to do that. Though anonomousy. Because if someone knows you gave them money, it changes everything.

In my mind, money can buy a lot of freedom. Though I suppose this is true only if one does not become a slave to acquiring more.

Complicated. I guess we will all have to stay at this forum forever and if someone gets super-rich, the others will keep her sane and kind and down-to-Earth.
  9. ladyturtle5366

ladyturtle5366 Call me Jenn

Agreed.

One of the things mentioned in the book is that wealth is a state of mind. It isn't just about material items. Wealth is about your spiritual/personal fulfillment, your heatlh, your relationships, and of course, your ability to live the lifestyle that you want.

The down-side to the secret is that it does focus on material wealth. I beleive the reason it does that is to appeal to the masses. The reality of our world is that money and the pursuit of money appeals to the masses, so that's how they get people in to start learning about the LOA and using it their lives.

The people who are focused on money will take the information and continue to be materialistic (my husband). The people who are focused on overall wealth and abundance for everyone will continue to focus on that (their passions, and the pursuit of working hard at what they WANT to work at, and because of their openness to allowing money to flow in, around, and through them, they will have more of what they want.

Personally, Friday w/b our 3rd payday since dh and I watched the secret, and it will be the 3rd payday EVER that we didn't fight all day about where money was going, where it was coming from, and who deserved more of it.
    The last two paydays have been pleasant, enjoyable, and stress free.

Does that mean that all our bills are caught up and paid on time and that we have plenty of money for eveything we need? NO. But our attitudes (my attitude) aobut the whole thing has changed, and instead of dreading paying the babysitter for watching my kids, I am grateful to her for allowing me the time I need to work on my business. I am happy to have my money flow from me to her, because she deserves that money as much as I do.
  10. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I love this idea and I love implementing it. I love that I can pay someone to snake my drains and someone else to clean my toilets. Not only because then I don't have to do it (which is really wonderful), but also because then the abundance we have is shared, is payed forward, let's someone else use it for what they need or want. It keeps the energy moving.

I am so excited about the group and ideas gathering here. :cuc:
  11. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Great link. I loved this:

Money has no character. Money does not hold a negative or positive charge. Money is simply a tool - something we use in our society as a way to transfer energy between people for services rendered. Get that? Money is an exchange of energy. Exchanging dollars is how we've chosen to symbolize appreciation for the service of others. It is a physical expression of 'thanks' offered to another person.
  12. Sunflower_Momma

I have some experience with the super-wealthy (as in hundreds of millions to billions). I worked for a few years as an executive assistant in a biomedical venture capital company - the poorest of the partners could still be considered wealthy and the richest of the partners were certainly extremely wealthy. I remember one partner was really into wine. One day he got a case of some wine where each bottle was more than the amount of my very generous annual bonus.

Then, there is my ex-husband who married the ex-wife of a man who started an internet company (they were one of our very closest married couple friends when we were married). When he asked her (in the state of California) for a divorce, he was then worth about $500 Million. My ex-husband has told me how much harder it is to live on $40K a month than one might expect. :rolleyes: and :lol:

My ex-husband certainly did not do the work to get the money - and, truthfully, does anyone WORK hard enough to get that much? But, he did work hard in life. He did make sacrifices.

But, all of the people I personally know who are very wealthy spend a huge amount of hours working. Far more hours in a week than I would ever want to take away from my family. They constantly travel and are available by phone 24/7. I do not want that no matter how much I love my paid employment. My primary role is homemaker and mother and wife and those are unpaid positions. No one is going to decide that my method of parenting is worth millions.
  13. Kristerae

See Rebecca, that is what I thought of too. Regarding the secret, people like Jack Canfield spend time writing books and then traveling trying to sell them, truly.
    It is not kick back and let it all roll.

Same with Amway/quickstar Diamonds (if anyone is familiar) You are sold on the dreams you have and that amway is a tool to get you there. And often it sounds liek once you are there you have arrived....but the truth is they lose their diamond status if they dont have enough sales coming through their line.

They have to keep working, traveling and telling people about the program to keep their income from falling.

There is a bible scripture that says to whom much is given, much is required.

I think of that verse often. Sometimes I wonder if I am not ready for prosperity. Or maybe I have a different calling in my life.

But regardless, my husband and I will be growing old one day and will need money to survive. I have 1.25 in my saving account (and will lose that once the monthly fees apply)
    because all our money funnels into the bills of this large family of ours and my husbands large child support. We cannot save.
    There is never money left over and sometimes, if dh is not busy in his trade, we dont make the monthy bills.
    That is what I want to get out of without working like a fool and putting my family last.

I am generous when I can be. I give when I can to people and organizations so I dont think it is a lack of giving that causes financial problems for us. Dh and I fully support giving so it is not him either in that respect.

Lack of education maybe? ALthough I only hav my GED and am an entrepreneur as well as my dh a fine carpenter with his own business.
    ???
  14. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

Honestly, I think there is a huge shift in thinking that would need to be done.

Take Jack Canfield for example. Sure, he thought, "I want x amount of money". He visualized that for a few days. But then the inspired action happened. He saw himself having the money... and then he realized, he actually HAD the tool to GET that money - his book. So he took the inspired action to make the money that he visualized himself with.

Sometimes we have to see ourselves as HAVING... and then after seeing ourselves as deserving (KR's comment about education level stands out here for) of what it is that you want. You have to really believe that YOU have it.
  15. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Good points Heather. Visualizing and wanting is not enough. We need to add action and feeling. The feeling part is the harderst since there are so many layers to each of our feelings, emotions. I find that even when I think I am being positive, there is another layer of resistance to address.
  16. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

Just a quick comment...
    You can use EFT to clear your negative thoughts about money...and then LOA works better. Clearing out the negative stuff in our minds to allow the possibilities to flow into our lives.

The writing on our walls/our belief systems are ingrained in us and often are difficult to overcome. You can neutralize those negative thoughts, like"you have to work your tail off to have lots of money" or 'rich people are greedy' ot whichever of your belief system is impeding your dreams and then make your dreams come true.

That is what I am learning in my workshops. The combinations of the two are quite powerful.

In any case, there is no doubt that our belief systems that were most likely formed when we were less than 5yo about money(or anything) can get in our way.
  17. mamatanya

mamatanya the bead lady

Ok, two things about making a lot of money.
    First is my pre-LOA understanding. You as an individual can only make so much money. A few people can be CEO of major corporations, that's a hell of a lot of work to get there and to maintain it. Some people are doctors or lawyers and lets say they can make $200,000 a year or whatever, that's a lot of money for a lot of work. But to really make a lot of money is more like Jack Cannfield where you make a quarter from selling a book four million times. You do the work once and then sell it again and again. Or you build a company that others do the work and you take a percentage of a total that is so huge that you are wealthy.
    Number two - after the Secret. Bill Harris is in the Secret and his deal is called Holosync. It's an induced meditation program. You listen to soothing background sounds that are overlaying frequencies that are 10 decibles different from one ear to the other. This and more go into what he sells that I have fallen in love with. His sales pitch is a little heavy, his heart and his product really are in the right place. He is bothered by what he considers to be two things that the movie leaves out. They are that you have to actually take action when you have inspiration and you have to offer something of value to others.
    So putting the two together, I can imagine wealth for most anyone. It is like the biblical passage about feeding a man for a day or teaching him to fish and feeding him for life. We can work with someone, one on one, to give them the value that we hold, or we can capture that value in some way, and without being there more than once, share it for life. This is why we so richly compensate our actors, musicians, great writers, etc.
    So the trick is, what is your gift to humanity, and how can you share it with the greatest number for the greatest good?
    Kristarae, how can you share your passion and knowledge? You can sell one bar of soap at a time or you can teach classes, write books, create a website with articles that sells advertising, on and on. I am not you so I won't presume to tell you how to be. And your Dh, does your local community college offer woodworking classes? Is there a widget that he can make? A plan for building something that he can design and sell?
    Irinam, I think you are this path with your day in the life post.
    Sunflower - How many here have told you how fantastic your parenting advice is? So maybe we'd like to see you write a syndicated column, publish a book, offer a seminar near us? How may we worship you for your guidance in the most precious and difficult task we face?
    I think my path may be one of coaching others. I see that my husband has something special to offer that will allow us to live well while serving others.
    I can't tell you how much I love Amity and my fellow Amity mama's. Look at what a wonderful service Amity has done for us all. Does anyone begrudge her whatever she made, selling the site? I don't think so. I don't think that there is anything wrong with making money and selling. I think that the key is to keep one's eye on really being in the process and about giving whatever you do, 100% of your heart.
  18. Kristerae

Patsy beleived she was healed...and now she is gone.

I cannot say I totally agree with the beleiving and having it aspect.

And I honestly feel my gifts and talents are being used for the greater good for humanity-starting with the 6 children under my roof :) But it goes beyond these borders.

So in that I am satisfied.

And honestly, dh is so busy working by himself, there is no time to do other things (because if there were time, some of our projects woudl be completed by now) He is a perfectionist and jobs take him much longer than many other contractors...a positive and negative at the same time.

I am being realistic. I recently saw what adding more to my plate does, and the chaos around here as a result was not worth it. So my season for bigger things may not be upon me. But I do think more about what I can do...I have been presented with a few things...jsut which doors are right for now..how much can I handle.
    Those are the things that I need to evaluate.

In the end, because I strive for positive, I do feel things will be ok.
    I beleive it takes my prayers, focus and desires for things to blossom tho.
    However, the result is not always what I set them out to be (as in the case of the New Mexico trip I worked so hard to take)
    Due to the CV joint, I did not have enough $ and time to fix the car before 1600 mile road trip. But I did have enough for a 70 mile trip, art festival, dinner, lake outing, dinner again, wine, beer and sex with my hubby..lol

So it still worked out delightfully, just not as I originally wanted.
    Last edited: May 24, 2007
  19. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

But she IS healed... and living with her Heavenly Father with no pain!

I, too, have been struggling with the same ideas. And also with seeing how they meld with my Chritian beliefs. She was at peace with her relationship with God. I have to believe that.

I think that we have our ways of thinking how things will work out if we believe them to be true, but there is so much more out there for us. So while we may wish she were healed and still on Earth, she isn't. It doesn't mean that she isn't healed. It means our ideas of healed are not the same as God's (or the Universe, whatever you want to call it). Patsy knew she would be with her Heavenly Father in Heaven when she passed... she knew it and believed it with all of her heart.

I'd love to have a thread about Christian beliefs and LOA.
  20. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I agree and this has been a shift in my thinking -- and in my praying. I pray for healing -- without specifying what healing looks like. I pray for peace -- without understanding how it is coming about.