Washing Diapers

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by TulaneMama, Jun 25, 2005.

1. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

I am posting this here b/c unfortunately the diapering forum does not get much action.

Some of Olivia's diapers, the liners, are not coming clean after I wash them. They are stained with her yellow poopy. Other times it somes out. These are all the same type of diapers, MotherEase, and I am washing them the same way every time.

I am even tried soaking them in borax and adding borax to the wash. Any suggestions? I dry them out on the line so they do bleach out quite a bit - but I would like for them to come clean in the wash...kwim? We are using a dry pail too, FWIW.
  2. oceana

oceana New Member

That young the yellow is common. Drying them in the sun is the best solution.

Is borax a little harsh for diapers? I know stains are irritaing. I usually let them go and sun every 2 weeks or so.

sorry i dont have a super solution

OH wait, are you doing a rinse cycle in cold first?
    julie
  3. Maiden Comfort

Maiden Comfort boobie juice maker

Lots of yellow stains here too. I tend to not worry about them anymore (after obsessing over them with Kivett). If a diaper is really bad, I'll put that one out in the sun, and that will take care of it. I just lay it on top of the grass :)
  4. annb

annb It's like herding cats.

Another vote for not worrying about it!!
  5. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

all right - no worries then mama. It is just that I like everything PERFECT and they just don't stay that way forever do they?!!!! :D
  6. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

i don't worry about it. the yellow is potent and stains pretty bad. although...now that i've switched to fuzzibunz they don't stain. but...my kissaluvs got a fair share of yellow stains. i second putting them out in the sun if you'd like to get the stains out.
  7. nellebelle

nellebelle believer of miracles

land of frigid winters and sweltering summers
    nak...

I have ME OS for my toddler and the only thing that gets them bright white is the sun :) FWIW, I've used Borax w/out any ill effects on dd's bum. It helps when I can't sun them but otherwise I just let it go.

Nelle
  8. stephanielynn

stephanielynn New Member

Hate the stains in my kissaluvs too, but am slowly getting over it. Just don't have a great place to put them outside without feeling like they're getting dirty or ants are getting on them or something. Once, someone dropped the stained diaper thinking they had mistakenly picked up the dirty one. I always think that somebody is wondering if i'm using a dirty diaper when i'm changing a diaper in public. who cares, though!
  9. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

yeah...that's why i used to sun my diapers. my fuzzibunz don't stain the same way now.

you can put up an outside clothes line really easily...they have the retractable kind.
  10. Carey

Carey Active Member

Oooo, when Teagan still had the breastfed yellow poops, he had a major blowout one day, up his back, down the legs, you get the picture ;)
    I squirted some Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap on them and rubbed it in. The clothes came out completely clean! I had just given them up for ruined because that poop stains so bad, LOL. It has continually gotten in out of stuff for me, clothes and some diapers. Maybe work a try? You can get small bottles of it.
    Hope that helps!
    Love, Carey