washing CD's

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by tigerchic89, Apr 29, 2005.

1. tigerchic89

tigerchic89 New Member

So.... how do you wash your diapers? I know that wool covers just need to be handwashed in a lanolin soap and not rinsed.
    Do you use regular detergent? We use costco brand, like regular Tide for all of our laundry. I have heard not to use free and clear types?

do you seperate PUL type covers from cotton diapers and run seperate loads? Or do you dump everything in all together?

What about FB's? DO you do anything seperate with them?

As far as wash cycles, do you put dipes in, and do a hot rinse and spin cycle, the run a regualr cycle in warm water with detergent and follow up with a wite vinegar in teh rinse cycle?

any other tips?
    TIA,
    Gigi who can't wait to use her new "fluff", and buy more once I figure out what i love
  2. mrslitz

mrslitz New Member

I "washer pail" which means I don't do a diaper pail, but pail them IN the washing machine on the soak cycle (cold water) with some baking soda. When it comes time for washing, I spin them out, then wash on on hot with 1/4 cup of regular tide with an extra rinse.

I only use all in ones (kushies brand).
  3. lyndsay

lyndsay New Member

i was everything at once and i use a lil bit (dont know exactly how much) of detergent (cant remember the name of that either since i'm on vacation and my FIL uses different detergent), i wash on hot rinse on cold with an extra rinse cycle.
  4. MonsterBabyMama

MonsterBabyMama New Member

I've always washed everything together. When I first started I made a lot of mistakes...like using a wet pail w/ bleach (!!! can you say HOLES?), separating poopy dipes from wet ones (LOL!), and buying cheap crappy gerber prefolds.

Now I've had 9 years of experience, and it's easy as pie.

First, I keep a small stash so I have to do the diapers every couple of days, which works well for me. I use a dry pail.

Here's how I rinse bm's (well, how I used to): I keep a designated pail in the bathroom, near the tub. Toss in bm diapers, rinse with water from the tub, dump the dirty water into the toilet, then dump the diaper into the diaper pail in the laundry room.

Another important step for me is tossing in a diaper buddy...those things are amazing!!

On wash day I just dump the whole pail into the washer, add a squirt of Allen's Naturally, fill the reservoir with vinegar, and set the washer to soak/wash/extra rinse on cold. Then I machine dry for about 60 minutes.

You can wash the cotton and PUL diapers together, but be careful not to dry the PUL too long in the dryer. You may need to take them out after about 45 minutes.
  5. Rach

Rach New Member

There is not ONE answer, but here's what I do.

I dry pail, which means no water at all. I never dunk dipes, what poop doesn't shake off or kind of scrape off with a part of the dipe goes in the pail. I do a COLD rinse first, as this is the best way to mitigate stains. Then, I do a long hot wash with an extra rinse. I use All scent free because that's what we use. I have used Armn Hammer and BioKleen, and I liked both of those, too. I put vinegar in the long wash, but not every time. I use a little tea tree oil but no every time. I do not wash covers with dipes mostly, because I do not put covers in the pail. Covers will get to stinking if they go in the diaper pail too often. When I used Motherease, I did a rinse, wash, then hot wash, as it seemed they needed that extra step. For prefolds or flats, this just isn't necessary. Heck, I could probably just do the hot wash, but I like to at least mitigate staining.