Want to wean my 9 mo directly to cows milk

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by LisaDale, Feb 27, 2009.

1. LisaDale

LisaDale New Member

So is there really anything wrong with weaning my son at 9 months and putting him right on whole cows milk? I'm getting pretty worn out on breastfeeding and he's getting pretty bitey so I think its time. The problem is, he's never had to have formula and he hates every kind we've tried. He's also not that great at a bottle since he's never had to use one really and he's pretty good at using a sippy cup. Please let me know what you think. He's in perfect health now, quite the big man, I just want to keep him that way.
  2. joli

joli sitting at the head of the Amity round table

Absolutely not good for his health. I would highly recommend you do not do this. Give him a few more months of breastmilk and then do a slow wean to cow's milk if you feel that is the best choice. But research it first. Some children tolerate cow's milk well (my own do) but many others do not. There are other choices if he doesn't tolerate it, but really he needs a year.

~jo
  3. Mrs. Mommy

Mrs. Mommy Breathe

breastfeeding is hard sometimes, but it is the best thing for your little guy. You can stick it out for three more months, can't you?
  4. annb

annb It's like herding cats.

I wonder if pumping part of the time and giving it in a sippy would work for you?
    Formula does taste nasty. And cow's milk just doesn't have the important nutrients.
  5. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

:hug: Yeah, no on the cow's milk. Both of my kiddos went through a brief biting stage. It really didn't last very long because neither one liked the (uncontrolled) reaction from me of a low scream and pulling them off. Once the immediate reaction was over, I would not let them return to nursing for a minute or two. After a few times, they got it.
  6. nanci

nanci jelly belly

He needs to be on mama's milk or formula for 12 months for brain development. No other milk is better than yours. I know it's hard at times and tiring....but it's what he needs. When he bites, just pull him off the breast. Transition from breast to sippy cup is great!!!

Ask away, there a TON of knowledgeable mamas here!!!
  7. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

Goat's milk would also be preferable to cow's milk. But he's really a bit young for either.

Most babies catch on pretty quickly that biting mama will interfere with their chances of getting to nurse. If they're biting, they're not actively nursing...while nursing their mouth is not in a position that's conducive to biting.

And while being bit is horrible, it is a great clue that his emerging teeth may be bothering him.

This stage can be irritating and uncomfortable but it usually doesn't last long. It definitely does not have to be the beginning of the end of nursing.
  8. nativeprincess

nativeprincess New Member

a sudden switch would be a pretty big shock for his system I would think, maybe try pumping for some of his meals first if the biting is getting bad, another thing I did with some of mine if they were biting was a soon as you feel like he's going to bite, use your finger to take your nipple out of his mouth, he may learn that every time he bites, he gets taken off the breast for a minute or two, although i know this is hard to do with those sudden bites. good luck and try to hang in there:)
  9. mom2tig99Nroo03

mom2tig99Nroo03 MamaBearishFireman'sFlame

everything they said. switching him this young to bovine milk would not be beneficial to his health whatsoever. you've gotten great advice about the biting.