Waldorf Doll Pattern Up for the Sew Along

Discussion in 'Sewing & Crafty Stuff!' started by TipToe Fairy, Oct 29, 2002.

1. TipToe Fairy

TipToe Fairy milk wagon

perpetually attached at the boob to my sweet nursl
    You'll need to enlarge it with a copier. I estimated probably 10-20%, but that is for a 12-13 inch size doll. If you want bigger, you'll have to enlarge it some more. I usually go to the copier places like kinkos and just play with it, enlarging it a bit more at a time, til I get the size I like.

http://www.snugglebees.com/waldorfdoll.htm
  2. fw221

fw221 Amity's Focus Member

Thanks so much for doing this!! I'm so excited!!! I think I'll make one for my gramma for x-mas. ;) I wonder when the last time she had a doll.....

Heather, if you want I can make an extra copy for you & stick it in your envelope with the stokinette since I haven't mailed it yet. k?
  3. Janessa

Janessa New Member

Thanks so much for doing this!
  4. JojAbis

JojAbis One busy mama

Hope this helps someone.

I made the pattern black lines on a white background. They are in 2 formats PNG and GIF (image formats), you should be able to print them out on 2, 8.5 x 11 pages.

PNG format

GIF format

they are compressed in to 1 file so you will either need WinXP or an extractor like "stuffit" (mac) or "winzip " (IBM/PC)

LMK if you're having problems with it.

Thanks,
  5. Queen_Jessy

Queen_Jessy Sew COOL Mama!

Thanks Mary Jo!
  6. TipToe Fairy

TipToe Fairy milk wagon

Bumping since the sew along starts on Monday.
  7. Mama Lion

Mama Lion New Member

Just a question... I assume we'll still have to take these to a copy shop and enlarge them by around 20%? I'm planning on doing that tonight so I'm ready to go... Hmmm, maybe not... I just compared them to the original pictures I printed, and they are larger. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

:)
  8. Queen_Jessy

you know--you can really make them any size you want too! ;) ot base the body size on the head you end up with!

what I need to know is it going to be possible for me to do this w/o a machine since my machine was cracked during shipping and who knows how long it will take UPS to do anything about it.
  9. TipToe Fairy

TipToe Fairy milk wagon

If you are really good at hand sewing, then it would be fine. But the body and arms need to be stitched in very small stitches, which is a lot easier with a sewing machine. I would recommend waiting, the sew along will be available for you to do a later time, and I can always answer questions.
  10. Sherricp

Sherricp Guest

A couple of questions before we begin

1. I am going to sew a tube of cotton rather than getting the stockinette. What dimentions should I cut the cotton to make an inner head for a 16" doll?

2. How do I know when I've enlarged the pattern to the right size? Like if I wanted to make a 16 or 14 " doll, what dimensions would the head piece on that pattern be?

I realize I could kind of just pick a size I like the look of, but then I'm afraid I would make the head too big or too small for the body if I didn't know what size I was going for.

Thanks,

Sherri
  11. TipToe Fairy

TipToe Fairy milk wagon

The head size only changes just a tiny bit, depending on the size you're making. For the tube of knit, I would suggest about 10 to 12 inches in length, and then depending on if it's very stretchy like cotton lycra, I would do 3 to 3 1/2 inches wide, if it's has less stretch, more like interlock, then probably 4 inches wide.

For the dimensions, for me it's just the way it looks, I can usually tell what size it will be. But if I'm unsure, I lay down the body, then I lay the head covering on top, with 1/2 of it sticking above the body and measure it to be about 16 to 17 inches long. I also lay out the arms on the sides to make sure they look proportional to it all.
  12. LaVieBoheme

LaVieBoheme Amity's Focus Member

Hey Stephanie! Huge huge favor from you if you have a minute? Could you possibly measure the length and width of each of your pattern pieces Puh-lease? With sugar on top? :)

I really can't run out and make photo copies of these right now.. maybe tonight.. but who knows. :) I can kind of take the patterns that I have and just make them a tad bigger and wider myself if anyone can give me dimensions!

I'll be your best friend! *lol*

Thanks!

~C
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2002
  13. Queen_Jessy

I made a doll today just a practice and I did really good by hand!!! My daughter wont put it down and its naked with no face other than a nose! lolol I wish I knew how to give it hair!
  14. TipToe Fairy

TipToe Fairy milk wagon

The head piece is 7 x 7 (folded it's 7 x 3.5)
    body piece is 10.5 long
    arm piece is 8 long

**the arm piece needs to be cut so that the stretch is up and down of the arm, and not from side to side (it shouldn't stretch from fingers to end of arm, it should stretch from top of arm to bottom of arm
  15. Queen_Jessy

This is so great! I was born to make dolls I can tell! I will get part 1 done tomorrow when my son is in preschool! I finished the doll I was making for my daughter--minus clothes---its cute but I did yarn hair and it looks ok but I cant wait to instructions on that part for this doll!!!

thank you! :) my hands sure hurt from doing this all by hand though! lol Glad that part one is supposed to be done by hand----I need new string too.... any ideas? my string is SOOO thick.... need thinner string.
  16. TipToe Fairy

TipToe Fairy milk wagon

I buy the really thin cotton crochet thread.