Vegetarian weekly meal planning ideas needed!

Discussion in 'Veggie Place' started by lala, Jan 8, 2008.

1. lala

lala I make stuff

Ok, who likes to coordinate weekly menus?

I could use some inspiration!

We eat eggs, the kids eat cheese, we sub soymilk for cow's milk, and I am avoiding wheat.
    All veggies (except maybe okra and eggplant) are a go for us!
    All beans too.

(occasional fish but I can work around that!)

We don't eat spicy stuff and desserts are not important.

I mainly need dinner ideas, and they don't have to be dirt cheap, super frugal.

Anyone up for this challenge?
  2. wvmountainmama

wvmountainmama New Member

zucchini boats stuffed with veggies and rice - core out the zucchini to make a boat shape - fill it with peppers, chopped zucchini and squash, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, garlic mixed with rice - sprinkle with some cheese for the kids if you like
    serve with grilled portobello mushrooms

mexican stirfry: sautee bell peppers - whatever color you like, onions (you can buy a frozen mix of peppers and onions if time is an issue) frozen or fresh corn chopped off the cobb, black beans together with garlic, pepper, a little cumin and a little chili powder and paprika, serve over spanish rice

not sure if they make a wheat free pasta shell - i'm not familiar with wheat substitutes, but if so, take some tvp and hydrate with veggie broth, add finely diced red and orange peppers, some marinara sauce, garlic and italian seasonings - stuff mixture into the shells and dollop with more sauce, top with cheese if you like and bake for about 30 minues at 350

teriyaki grilled tempeh: (recipe courtesy of brownie points blog)
    "In a sauce pan over medium high heat combine:

1 cup of mirin
    1 cup of soy sauce
    1/2 cup of sugar
    1/2 cup of sake
    1 inch of sliced fresh ginger
    3 cloves of garlic sliced
    Bring to a simmer and lay in your servings of tempeh. Simmer the tempeh in the teriyaki marinade for 5 minutes. Remove the tempeh to drain slightly and continue to boil the teriyaki sauce till reduced to one cup of liquid.

Slightly oil a grill pan and heat. Cook the tempeh till grilled nicely on each side.
    Remove the tempeh and brush with the reduced sauce.

May be served ontop of salad with a sprinkling of green onions, toasted sesame seeds and juicy mandarin oranges, or as a burger like slab on a bun with a slice of tangy pineapple."

here is also a great site you can check out with lots and lots of gluten-free vegan recipes: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes
  3. countrygal

countrygal Guest

4. Christi

Christi Perpetually NAK'ing

5. lala

lala I make stuff

ok, I am going to reply to my own post for others who have subbed.

We have been doing veggie trays a lot, mostly carrots, celery, red bell pepper, broccoli, with ranch and hummus as dips.

I think I might try making deviled eggs sometime this week plus a veggie tray, maybe with rice chips on the side.

Now that it is warming up I am craving less heavy foods, with the exception of bbq stuff.

I made veggie shishkabobs a few weeks ago on our bbq- big mushrooms, red bell pepper chunks, those canned whole potatoes, zucchini, onion, and fuji apple chunks. I made a marinade of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, italian seasoning, basil, tiny bit of garlic powder, salt and pepper. they were so yummy, especially the apple.
    served with bbq tofu and corn on the cob.

Also, roasting veggies in the oven on a cookie sheet- asparagus, zucchini sliced lengthwise and thick, red bell pepper strips..drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with a blend of Italian seasoning, basil, salt and pepper.....yummy.