Using Vocab for Spelling...?s

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by TulaneMama, Jan 10, 2011.

1. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

I want to just use our vocabulary words for spelling and eliminate the additional material DS is currently using. What are your suggestions on how to do this?

I am thinking that he will write out the words 5 times each, play at www.spellingcity.com and also at www.wordlywise300.com which will give him more exposure to the word. Then I will have him take the test at Spelling City at the end of the week and then take the vocab test AFTER the spelling test.

What am I missing? The games are fun and he enjoys them and gets to do them after all of the other work is done. I just want to make sure that he practices his spelling words.
  2. golden

golden Active Member

I'm so glad I opened this thread. I didn't know the wordlywise books had online games to go with them. Thank you!
  3. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

I had no clue either until I messed around yesterday while I was waiting for DS to finish his work. He is really enjoying the games too. You can also print out flash cards!
  4. SummerJoy

SummerJoy sleep? what's that?

How about dictionary skills and/ or using the words in a sentence? That's what we do.
  5. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

I think five times each day would be a lot, unless you're introducing new words daily? I like the idea of using vocab as spelling...I've often seen the two subjects as redundant because my kids always end up learning to spell their vocab words and learning the meaning of their spelling words!
  6. mom2jflc

mom2jflc Menagerie Mama

When my DS still had spelling tests they were also spelling/vocab and the week went like this:
    Monday: Write out each word and its definition
    Tuesday: Write each word 3 times
    Wednesday: Write out the words in alphabetical order
    Thursday: Write each word in a sentence and study for the test - but by this point he usually knew them cold.