Uses for Lemon Balm?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by artemis33, Apr 24, 2009.

1. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

There is a LOT of lemon balm in one of the beds out front and I am planning to yank some it. I want that bed to be my herb garden so I don't mind a little but it is taking over!

So before I decide how much to leave in there (or relocate perhaps), what are some ways you use it?

Thanks!
  2. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

we drop ours in a pitcher of water.
  3. tisme

tisme ~follow your heart~

4. mamanaturale

mamanaturale New Member

we dry it and mix with dried mint and make tea from it all year. my mom calls it happy tea. :p
  5. twiggy2

twiggy2 New Member

big sprigs in iced tea.
    or I've rubbed it on skin/hair/clothes and smelled lemony fresh all day and it may have even kept mosquitoes away.
    in marinades
  6. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

you have randomly decided you love me enough to dry some and mail it to me. Or if local, c'mon ove and transplant some into my yard. I have tons to swap :D

That being said I'd use it to learn soap/lotion/balms with cause I adore the smell of lemon anything :D

other uses are medicinal and edible both, also as a sachet ingredient; etc.

I can dig up books in the am when I am less drugged; so I am subbing to this thread otherwise I will forget.
  7. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

Thanks mamas - I do have a bunch of herb books but they are mostly still in boxes.

I had read the lemon balm helps repel insects so I think I'll transplant some around the deck and into pots on the deck. I have a horrible mosquito allergy so anything that might help this in the summer when I want to lounge outside is great! I still have plenty to share though ;)
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  8. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

if you come to Bremerton sometime to just have fun, I might could drive over :)

Leila said that she wants to go the aquarium in Seattle for her birthday (July 28th) and that Amelia needs to come with her because she LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEES her and MISSSSSSSEEEEEEESSSSS her (read in a melodramatic 3 year old voice).
  9. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

There *is* a Value Villiage in that parking lot with the Grocery Outlet [which contains food that you may or may not use to bribe kid(s) with].

The Bid Lots isn't there anymore so that's yet another "mostly 99 cent store" cause yk 500 gazillion 99 cent stores just isn't enough.

Last time I was at Goodwill [down the road the Value Villiage is on] it (and VV) both still had kids toys/books/clothes; but I know they're gone in some stores in the greater Seattle area because grandma just emailed.

Other stores are on/around Callow. There's St Vinnies & the St Vinnies Annex and the rest are mom & pop owned thrifts.